Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Can Conservatives Move Beyond the Identity Politics of Misogyny?

Since Trumperism seems to have fully enveloped the conservative movement. Why do they continue to go all in in defending abusers and harassers? Why wasn't Roy Moore a wake up call? Then we have Steve Wynn, and now Rob Porter.

To add to the bad faith, Republicans and their state media organs spent a week demanding that Hillary Clinton return much donations from a sexual predator who was far less involved in Democratic politics than in Republicans.

Erin Gloria Ryan has an excellent piece about how for Conservatives, a man’s denials of charges that he abused women are always dispositive:

And yet, it’s the first line of defense for a White House that can’t seem to stop aligning itself with men credibly accused of sexual misconduct, predatory behavior, and misogynist bullying. When you’re a man in Trump’s orbit, a denial counts as exoneration.

Today, White House Staff Secretary Rob Porter resigned after a pair of stories alleged that he had a history of domestic abuse. The first story ran last night, after two ex-wives came forward to The Daily Mail. Porter’s first wife Colbie Holderness told the British tabloid that Porter “was verbally, emotionally and physically abusive and that is why I left.” Porter’s second wife Jennifer Willhoughby gave the Mail a similar story. Willhoughby filed a temporary protective order against Porter in 2010, when he refused to leave their apartment and punched through a glass door.

Porter told the Mail that the allegations were “slanderous and simply false.”

And, at least publicly, that appeared good enough for the White House. Chief of Staff John Kelly called Porter “a man of true integrity and honor.” White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said Porter was “someone of the highest integrity and exemplary character.

Orrin Hatch a conservative standard bearer continues to double in embracing the new face of the Trump-era Republican Party:

It’s incredibly discouraging to see such a vile attack on such a decent man. Shame on any publication that would print this — and shame on the politically motivated, morally bankrupt character assassins that would attempt to sully a man’s good name.

I know Rob. I’ve known him for years, both as a close friend and as a personal adviser. He is kind and considerate towards all. The country needs more honest, principled people like Rob Porter, which is why I hope that this cynical campaign to discredit his character ultimately fails.

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post

And, at least publicly, that appeared good enough for the White House. Chief of Staff John Kelly called Porter “a man of true integrity and honor.” White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said Porter was “someone of the highest integrity and exemplary character.
    John kelly has since said he "didn't know." So the line seems to be "defend until you realize this won't blow over because there are pictures that were made public."
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

7+ Year Old Account
    How can progressives move beyond the identity politics of misandry?

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Go ahead and name a single politician or public official that has defended violence against men. Or are you confusing Democrats for angsty tumblr feminists again? Seems to be a common mistake from what I can tell.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    Go ahead and name a single politician or public official that has defended violence against men. Or are you confusing Democrats for angsty tumblr feminists again? Seems to be a common mistake from what I can tell.
    Well you see to Republicans the unheard cries of the white male straight Christian demographic have rung out since the founding of the United States. Native Americans, Women, African Americans, Catholics, Jews, Hispanics, Asians, Gays none of them know the suffering of the white straight Christian man. Long have they suffered as the most plighted upon group in the history of the United States, nay the world. Yet do not pity them because they look for no sympathies for though they are persecuted and struck down they are the greatest of men and still stand against such oppression. Which no other group in the history of the world could ever dare to stand against.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pathora44 View Post
    Well you see to Republicans the unheard cries of the white male straight Christian demographic have rung out since the founding of the United States. Native Americans, Women, African Americans, Catholics, Jews, Hispanics, Asians, Gays none of them know the suffering of the white straight Christian man. Long have they suffered as the most plighted upon group in the history of the United States, nay the world. Yet do not pity them because they look for no sympathies for though they are persecuted and struck down they are the greatest of men and still stand against such oppression. Which no other group in the history of the world could ever dare to stand against.
    Well John Kelley's reputation seems to be in tatters. The cries for him to resign are starting to gather.

Hmm...the negatives are seen as points:
    Beat the wife? Points.
    Hate the gay? Points.
    Hate any skin color other than white? Points.
    Hate migrants? Points.
    Hate Islam? Points.

10+ Year Old Account
    No.

/10char

Still trying to figure out how I as a white male am under attack. Only thing I can think of is it's the victim complex of the right mistaking people not tolerating being treated like shit for a personal attack on them.

Damn those women! They should just accept the sexual harassment as a compliment and stayed quiet out of fear for their jobs like a woman should.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shimerra View Post
    Still trying to figure out how I as a white male am under attack. Only thing I can think of is it's the victim complex of the right mistaking people not tolerating being treated like shit for a personal attack on them.

Damn those women! They should just accept the sexual harassment as a compliment and stayed quiet out of fear for their jobs like a woman should.
    Nah you're not under attack as a white male. Woman in Western civilization are not under attack either. It's a made up crisis.
    Last edited by PC2; 2018-02-09 at 02:05 AM.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nah you're not under attack as a white male. Woman in Western civilization are not under attack either. It's a made up crisis.
    you do have a president that claim to grab women by the pussy.

Maybe women do enjoy being grabbed like that, but i can't imagine why, you try to grab me by my genitals, i'm going to knock you on the ground, man (or at least try). Perhaps i don't understand feminine psychology, but i don't believe they enjoyed being grabbed like that.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    you do have a president that claim to grab women by the pussy.

Maybe women do enjoy being grabbed like that, but i can't imagine why, you try to grab me by my genitals, i'm going to knock you on the ground, man (or at least try). Perhaps i don't understand feminine psychology, but i don't believe they enjoyed being grabbed like that.
    There was mutual consent. Every red blooded straight guy knows that's a badass move.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydin View Post
    No.
    This is the correct answer.

Not in office, not a public servant, so I guess I'm more than willing to jump into the locker room talk every so often.

Can't say I haven't done my fair share of sexual harassment in the past either (always in a joking manner, so long as she plays along with it)

However, this is the kind of line that I would never be a part of

That's reportedly Rob Porter's first wife after he got done with her...

There was mutual consent. Every red blooded straight guy knows that's a badass move.
    Sexual assault is really badass!

"You know I'm automatically attracted to beautiful — I just start kissing them. It's like a magnet. Just kiss. I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything. Grab them by the pussy. You can do anything."

That really doesn't sound anything like mutual consent.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahhdurr View Post
    Sexual assault is really badass!
    There was consent. Grabbing pussy is only assault if the lady doesn't welcome it. Why you can't you just *bro fist* Trump like everyone else?

Fixed.

/10chars.

Yeah, Kelly killed any lingering doubt that he's a decent person with his defense of Porter despite knowing of these credible allegations and the fact that they prevented Porter from getting a security clearance.

It's getting increasingly more difficult to not believe that the Republican largely views women as subservient and inherently of less value than men with this kind of continued behavior.

There was consent. Grabbing pussy is only assault if the lady doesn't welcome it. Why you can't you just *bro fist* Trump like everyone else?
    Ya all those women saying he sexually assaulted them sure sound like they consented!