Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Skill Rating should be put into the system

Personal skill rating for PVE has probably been discussed before but not in depth. Right now the game is just about item level for heroic and normal pugs, and to a certain extent for mythic raiding as well, but mythic raiding has achievement for each boss and guild management so that kind of reduced the need for personal skill rating a bit. What I'm suggesting is a skill rating on a scale of 0-10, which will help people to identify the actual skill of the player, getting rid of people who only bought their gear or got carried. This will also help to force players to improve their skills if they want to get in groups. The skill rating will be primarily based on two areas, 1. Standards for DPS and HPS (for tanks I dont know because I dont play one), how much DPS and HPS the player should be doing according to the item level 2. Execution of mechanics like running out of things, target switching etc. And something like if it's not the player's fault and they die, the ratings dont change. If they die to mechanics more than twice then the ratings go down. Should take all raids like LFR, normal, heroic or even mythic into account so players have no chance to be carried.

I'd actually like a system like this but it just doesn't work in practice.
    How do you determine the "DPS standard"? Does it take into account each spec? Whether the instance/fight is suited to the spec skillset?
    How do you determine HPS, if everyone is geared and taking little dmg, your hps will be low. If there is a lot of self healing this will lower it as well.
    What if one or two DPS are really geared and powering down mobs before the 3rd DPS can get much done? They aren't a bad player just victims of circumstance.
    What if someone keeps causing wipes to mechanics and it isn't your fault?

These are just a couple of things off the top of my head. Don't get me wrong, I fully believe that bad players shouldn't be rewarded. But it's hard to implement
    Last edited by Sadoraan; 2018-02-09 at 05:02 AM.

No, The game doesn't need to become more of a dick waving contest than it already is.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

If you want to measure skill that is what warcraftlogs is for.

Any in game system from blizzard would be vastly inferior in some way. WCL shows who does mechanics, who doesn't, dps, hps and many tank survival metrics. That's your skill rating.

DPS and HPS rankings in a bubble mean nothing without considering other factors.

You already got Warcraftlogs, Raider IO.

We don't need an official measure of these things.

Bring back Gearscore and tag on an upvote/downvote system to rate fellow party members after a dungeon/raid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifeanychukwu View Post
    Bring back Gearscore and tag on an upvote/downvote system to rate fellow party members after a dungeon/raid.
    What about the trolls who will just down grade everyone?
    Dear frozen yogurt, you are the celery of desserts. Be ice cream or be nothing.

Good idea in theory, impossible to execute in practice.

Most people are ot able to read a warcraftlog properly. Most people do not even know what the %rank actually means. That's not hyperbole. Most people simply don't know. And they don't have to, either.

Many companies tried to use automated "skill detection" to determine ratings. Especially in PvP - where it is easier, because you cannot cheese an informed, skilled human opponent into doing something that grants you maximum rating increase - and it never works. The criteria have to be easy to understand, or people will be upset if they see their rating fluctuate for no apparent reason. But simple to understand criteria can always be abused. More so in PvE than PvP. Blizzard tried to implement something like that with Proving Grounds....and it failed horribly. Nobody cared about your PG rating. Ever.

Awww yisss time to dot every single add on Aggramar, so that I'll be much more "numerically skilled" than the guys who are actually helping the group by executing the correct strat

Healers in top guilds will also be statistically worse players than the ones in "bad" guilds.

Plus, people wiping hundreds of times during Progress will also be statistically worse than people who just run Normal once a week.

What kind of idea is it ? You have Warcraftlogs and you own eyes, deal with it.

If you're the raid leader and get like one hundred applicants per raid, will you take the time and go through their warcraft logs or raider IO? I'm talking about a skill rating just right next to the player's item level.

I'd love to live in a world where 100 people are signing up for the raids.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Problem is OP, people would see your skill rating as well and never sign for your raids....

Quote Originally Posted by mstg View Post
    If you're the raid leader and get like one hundred applicants per raid, will you take the time and go through their warcraft logs or raider IO? I'm talking about a skill rating just right next to the player's item level.
    First, get rid of people who obviously aren't high enough to do the content.
    Second, which version of World of Warcraft are you playing to have 100 application for your raids?
    Third, if this raid is "Normal zerg" you don't really have to care about skill.
    Fourth, you'll build successful PUG for raids out of experience more than any "skill rating". You'll fail/disband a few times, then you'll have a solid team after a few weeks by refining applications.
    Fifth, if you're talking about serious content (Mythic raiding), then you don't PUG them anyway.

There is little to no possibility to rate "skill" through any automated way. Any Mage Iceblocking to soak any lethal mechanic would be, by your design, less skilled than any tunnelvision Mage zerging through the boss ignoring everything.

Deleted
    No. There are so many factors to be counted in for it to be properly rated.

You have warcraftlogs for a reason, use it.

Deleted
    Personal skill rating for PVE has probably been discussed before but not in depth. Right now the game is just about item level for heroic and normal pugs, and to a certain extent for mythic raiding as well, but mythic raiding has achievement for each boss and guild management so that kind of reduced the need for personal skill rating a bit. What I'm suggesting is a skill rating on a scale of 0-10, which will help people to identify the actual skill of the player, getting rid of people who only bought their gear or got carried. This will also help to force players to improve their skills if they want to get in groups. The skill rating will be primarily based on two areas, 1. Standards for DPS and HPS (for tanks I dont know because I dont play one), how much DPS and HPS the player should be doing according to the item level 2. Execution of mechanics like running out of things, target switching etc. And something like if it's not the player's fault and they die, the ratings dont change. If they die to mechanics more than twice then the ratings go down. Should take all raids like LFR, normal, heroic or even mythic into account so players have no chance to be carried.
    A system like this will either be inexact and gameable or exact and therefore a bot roadmap.

The day blizzard can autobalance every skill in game is the day that they should try a system like this.

Solved by asking a certain ilvl & AOTC, don't need anything else for pug raiding

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xcitng View Post
    Solved by asking a certain ilvl & AOTC, don't need anything else for pug raiding
    You might get lucky and get a good group and vice versa. The thing is so many people are buying AOTC boosts that its unreliable to think that person understands anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    that sounds like somethin 1% of the playerbase would use correctly and the rest will just abuse it and make everythin shit with it
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Quote Originally Posted by Charmingpig View Post
    You might get lucky and get a good group and vice versa. The thing is so many people are buying AOTC boosts that its unreliable to think that person understands anything.
    Maybe but that's where the ilvl part comes in, not many people are getting a legit AOTC at 900, so you know its bought & you can tell pretty early in the instance if they under perform so you just remove them...

Also on the boosts, if a skill rating system come into the game, people could boost those too so it doesn't change anything

10+ Year Old Account
    I could not agree more!

Today People just judge logs, and actualy DPS or HPS. That sucks.

I am 100% for a skill system, that besides DPS (dps shouldn't even be that big part), also tracks:
    - Interupts
    - Soaking (at certain bosses, where soaking is actually needed)
    - Target swapping (noticing notable damage on adds)
    - Stuns and CC (when needed)
    - Avoiding damage (aoe on the ground etc)
    - Deaths at non-wipe attempts (to not dying by stupid things)
    - Encounter-interactions, like clicking things, entering portals, using items etc (quite rare but exists)
    - Etc, etc. Lots of stuff you can track.

Each factor gives a certain numer, lets say 1-10 and with lets say 10 categories, you can have a rating of 10-100. 100 if you max all categories. Some fights, that don't have interupts, would ofc not lower your score etc.

Would even take it further, and have this skill tracker also track if the player has enchants and consumeables at previous kills etc.

However, this would be automated, and not voted by people. The game can EASILY track all of this and summarize a skill level if the devs wanted. This would be in-game and overshadow logs, who really only benefit dps whores who might be terrible raiders with good dps.
    • Diablo Immortal is the most misunderstood and underrated game of all time!
    • Blizzard, please, give us some end-game focused Classic servers, where you start at max level!
    • Serious Completionist: 100% OW Achievements, 100% D3 Achievements, 90% Immortal Achievements, 99% ATT Classic, ~90% ATT Retail