Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by markos82 View Post
    You said conquest wars, whats wrong in saying that entire todays North America was obtained by conquest, murder of millions of natives, slave labor and so on?

If Germany waged conquest wars in the last century, Britain, Spain, Portugal, France .... before that So did the USA. Or do you really think Afghanistan, Somalia, Vietnam, Libya, Serbia, Iraq, Iran and so on had some conquest in mind when they were attacked?
    You claimed the United States "attacked the most countries". This is pretty obviously false.

Claiming that the USA engaged in wars of conquest before Britain, Spain, Portugal in France isn't just wrong, it's about as historically illiterate as one can get. I don't even know how to engage with something that stupid.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    You realize that charity is deductible for the explicit purpose of encouraging it, right?
    Not what I'm talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by X Amadeus X View Post
    You mean healthcare safety standards, food, water, shelter?
    you mean donuts hotel stays jet fuel and the senators pay?

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    You claimed the United States "attacked the most countries". This is pretty obviously false.

Claiming that the USA engaged in wars of conquest before Britain, Spain, Portugal in France isn't just wrong, it's about as historically illiterate as one can get. I don't even know how to engage with something that stupid.

Read again what i wrote, i said before that ( regarding Spain, Britain, France... ) or you lack basic knowledge of English. And yes I claim that, its a fact that USA attacked most countries, invaded most countries ( some thousands of miles away ) and build military bases in most of the world....

But i'm glad that you are that uneducated about your own history that now I truly believe that all those videos on YT are true....

Read again what i wrote, i said before that ( regarding Spain, Britain, France... ) or you lack basic knowledge of English. And yes I claim that, its a fact that USA attacked most countries, invaded most countries ( some thousands of miles away ) and build military bases in most of the world....

But i'm glad that you are that uneducated about your own history that now I truly believe that all those videos on YT are true....
    I believe the confusion stems from your nonstandard use of ellipses in the sentence in question. It's kinda funny to suggest that I'm the one having trouble with English though.

Anyway, the claim that the USA has "attacked most countries" remains blatantly wrong and you've not bothered to provide a shred of evidence for it.

More to the point, even heading that direction in the context of this thread is mostly just evidence that you have a pathological hatred of the United States. I get it, inferiority complexes can be hard to cope with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    That might be true if taxes went to the absolute poor. A billionaire like Bill Gates does much more for the absolute poor in the third world through his charitable donations than his taxes which go to the relative poor in the U.S. who already live better than the vast majority of the rest of the world. (The vast majority of taxpayer does not go to help the poor. Much more of it goes to groups like the elderly).
    Poor people can't be elderly, apparently.

And no, the original quote was referring to the fact that charity entails a loss of dignity between equals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    You realize that charity is deductible for the explicit purpose of encouraging it, right?
    it isnt in te otehr countries on the lsit so the other countries both pay their taxes and leave money for cahrity while some americans give money to charity to avoid paying taxes.

some rich people even have their own charities that spend most of their tiem with foundraising aprties isntead of actual cahrity work so they give money to their or their friends charity and the charity does a foundraising aprty for all of their friends completewith food hotells and travel paid to a nice vacation resort.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I believe the confusion stems from your nonstandard use of ellipses in the sentence in question. It's kinda funny to suggest that I'm the one having trouble with English though.

Anyway, the claim that the USA has "attacked most countries" remains blatantly wrong and you've not bothered to provide a shred of evidence for it.

More to the point, even heading that direction in the context of this thread is mostly just evidence that you have a pathological hatred of the United States. I get it, inferiority complexes can be hard to cope with.
    What more evidence you need from the fact that entire USA was obtained by conquest wars, murdering of millions and slave labor? I mean do you really wanna negate that? From 13 original colonies ( we cant count them since last one was founded way before USA became a country ) USA obtained 8-10x that much land. DO you think that was done mostly by peaceful negotiation or by war?

And yes I do claim that ( if we ignore conquest wars ( WWI and WWII ) ) how many countries did USA invaded or attacked? You can google that.

Not at all I am saying that everything can be looked from 2 sides ( at least ), the other side of this is that USA is so rich now because of all the wars, millions killed, exploited, left homeless and so on.

If you are saying that USA never waged conquest, meaningless wars and so on, you are the one who is ignoring the facts.

Doesn't matter how much good we do.....

The other countries and the d/l wing of our own government will always talk down about us because of ....... ideology.

Doesn't matter the good we do or the sacrifices we make....

In fact, I bet there is already a rebuttal to this article that basically says "Actually, they still aren't good because...." or "Actually, that isn't true because...."
    Last edited by Alydael; 2018-02-11 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Poor people can't be elderly, apparently.

And no, the original quote was referring to the fact that charity entails a loss of dignity between equals.
    I didn't imply they couldn't but welfare programs that target the elderly are not usually means-tested. It sounds like he used the quote out of context then because it is hard to describe someone living hand-to-mouth in the third world as the equal of a billionaire which is the context of the thread.

Is foreign aid to Israel considered a charity? If so then US should be considered the pack leader by quite a margin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alydael View Post
    Doesn't matter how much good we do.....

The other countries and the d/l wing of our own government will always talk down about us because of ....... ideology.

Doesn't matter the good we do or the sacrifices we make....
    You can like a thing while still pointing out its flaws.

What "d/l" people complain about is the "my country, right or wrong" attitude.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

ehm, isn't there a regulation that provides considerable tax relief in exchange for occasional donations in various 'charities' ? might have something to do with it, just saying...

sorry to break your bubble but USA is probably the most greedy nation on earth, it's entire culture revolves around money, work and consumerism and people who do not prioritize that stuff in their life are usually labeled as 'manchilds', irresponsible or even leeches by a certain prominent american ideology that likes big guns,money and the bible(wtf does the bible even have to do with guns and money? but whatever...)

@Tennis Why isn't Canada first on this list? Very disheartening news.

this thread is just a circle jerk of American's going LOL WE'RE GREAT and anyone who says otherwise hates america and is a nation basher, to this i say!

Quote Originally Posted by Shanknasty View Post
    I'll take things that can be handled and maintained without government interference, Alex!
    Are you high?

You think private security firms should be given police level authority? With no government oversight?
    Or that private companies should do the FDAs job and police their own food quality?
    Who the fuck is gonna pay construction companies to build the roads? Or do you want a $20 dollar toll every exit?

Quote Originally Posted by Felfury View Post
    Does this include donations that conveniently dodge taxes?
    Incentivized altruism is better than forced altruism. The people who give to charity might be doing it to avoid taxes, but they are still doing it out of their own choices instead of it being taken out of their taxes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IIBloodXLustII View Post
    Incentivized altruism is better than forced altruism. The people who give to charity might be doing it to avoid taxes, but they are still doing it out of their own choices instead of it being taken out of their taxes.
    Yes yes, taxes are theft and Rapture is the greatest city on earth.

What more evidence you need from the fact that entire USA was obtained by conquest wars, murdering of millions and slave labor? I mean do you really wanna negate that? From 13 original colonies ( we cant count them since last one was founded way before USA became a country ) USA obtained 8-10x that much land. DO you think that was done mostly by peaceful negotiation or by war?
    A big part of all that land was bought. Louisiana Purchase from France (largest US land acquisition) and later Alaska from Russia (2nd largest). 3rd was from Mexico after we kicked their ass in border disputes, a war which Mexico started.

So stop peddling your bullshit when you have no clue what you are talking about.

And yes I do claim that ( if we ignore conquest wars ( WWI and WWII ) ) how many countries did USA invaded or attacked? You can google that.

Not at all I am saying that everything can be looked from 2 sides ( at least ), the other side of this is that USA is so rich now because of all the wars, millions killed, exploited, left homeless and so on.

If you are saying that USA never waged conquest, meaningless wars and so on, you are the one who is ignoring the facts.
    Are you saying that WW1 and WW2 were US wars of Conquest?

What?

Lets talk about wars that were for political or territorial gain in the US:
    War of 1812: Heavily provoked declaration of war. The British were essentially conscripting US sailors.

The Mexican-American War: First shots were fired by the Mexican army, we beat them and took some mostly unused territory in the peace treaty.

The Spanish-American War: Started with the explosion of the USS Maine. It was probably an accident but we blamed it on the Spanish (Which were at that point in a war with the Cubans where the Cubans were fighting for their Independence. We backed the Cubans because of the explosion, the Spanish declared war on us. We won the war and gained some territory from the peace treaty.

Then we have WW1, where the US jumped in towards the end to put an end to the fighting (There were no good guys or bad guys in this war. It was entirely foolishness that caused it.) No territorial gain.

Then WW2. The US was again attacked and had war declared on them. No territorial gain.

The Korean War began with the North Korean invasion of South Korea. The US intervened on the South's behalf. No territorial gain.

The Vietnam war began with the North Vietnamese attack on South Vietnam. The US at first sent in advisors, and then intervened militarily. Ended with the Paris Peace Accords. After the War the US didn't back up its promises to supply South Vietnam so the North Vietnamese took over South Vietnam.

Gulf War: The first time the US declared war on a country essentially unprovoked. Went in to help the Kuwaiti people. No territory gained.

Afghan War: Provoked declaration of war. No territory gained.

Iraq War: Essentially provoked war (I mean, Saddam was basically saying "We don't have any Sarin gas anymore, but I won't prove it to you"). US invaded. No territory gained.

Only like three of these actually had the US declare war, and only one of those was essentially unprovoked. Very few had the US gaining territory.

Now if we want to talk about the seizing of Native lands, that is a whole different matter. But very little of that was done through "War".

Most of the land the US owns was either gained through purchasing it (The Louisiana Purchase was Napoleons attempt to fund his wars against the Allied Powers in Europe, the US got a lot of land for really cheap.) We gained a lot of the West coast from the Mexican-American War Peace Treaty. We gained Florida through purchase from Spain. A lot of the US territory outside the US borders were gained through the Peace Treaty with Spain after the Spanish-American War. Both of these wars were either declared on US or provoked by attacks.

So no, the US has NEVER declared war for conquest.
    Last edited by Eldar45; 2018-02-11 at 07:57 PM.