Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Best casual Tank class for Legion ?

I'm what I consider a "casual" WoW player, I do play several nights a week, but only for 30 to 45min each night before bedtime. And a longer session on certain weekend time if I have the free time, but not every weekend.

My highest Mythic +'s I am comfortable running are up to a +10 or so, not much higher, and the hardest Raids I run are current Normal.

I have three Tanks currently;

DK i942;
    https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch...ljin/dethdingo

Paladin i912
    https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch...jin/darthdingo

Warrior i904;
    https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch...uljin/dingowar

After running Mythic+'s the past week, I found my Paladin to just tare it up, and easily mow down mobs, and just rock. Highest I ran him last week was a M+9 on my Paladin i912, and he went though it like hot butter.

I ran a +11 on my i942 DK, and I found that to be a little rough, not super hard, but no cakewalk either.

My Warrior i904 only, I did a +5 and that seemed like my limit, it wasn't easy, I had to really watch my health.

What's your opinion ?

- - - Updated - - -

Update, got a leggo for my Paladin Tank, he's now i926, and waiting to unlock the second slot for another leggo, I have the Raid Ant ring waiting for me. But at i926 I feel super confident with this Paladin, I just Tanked Normal Ant last night with ease, and zero issues.

Now my Blood DK, got him to i952 and for first time tried Heroic Ant raid, I can self heal like a mofo, but just not as comfortable with the DK as I am with the Paladin. For some reason the Paladin gives me more confidence. Of course the DK being 25+ iLvl higher makes a huge difference, but I'm talking more feel of play, the overall rotation or priority of Tanking a Raid, my Paladin feels smoother of this makes sense ?

I may switch my DK to pure Frost DPS, I do have Cold Heart and Bracers leggos for him.

Or keep both as Tanks and see how far I progress ?

Opinion ?

Other mitigation tanks are always going to feel more solid than Blood DK tanks. Blood's nature is to take a beating and keep on healing, but it's a bit harder in terms of needing to know fights and when the damages comes so that you can pool RP for multiple Death Strikes to properly heal yourself + shield the next bit of damage etc. I have my DK at like 960+ tank and my Paladin at like 930+ish and it is quite fun on both toons, but I'd say the Paladin is way sturdier than my DK was around that ilvl.

I would say keep both and definitely give Frost a shot, it's fun and does Tons of Damage!

Deleted
    Keep in mind BDK are the best tanks in m+.
    Your plenty CDs makes you almost unkillable, dont be affraid too use them.
    Started tanking +15s on my BDK sround 930 with only shoulder leggy and ring from quest with no problems.
    Just takes some time learning where the hard pulls are, and knowing when too pop cds/kite.

Am now 960 and have tanked +19, thats where i started too struggle a little. (No longer play)

Quote Originally Posted by Garaad View Post
    Keep in mind BDK are the best tanks in m+.
    At best it's a 50/50 debate now with VDH after the CR changes.

At worst, VDH is just flat out better but that's on a dungeon to dungeon basis.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post

Fair enought. Havent played since the BR changes. But even then DKs are very durable tanks if just played properly.
    I guess paladin might be easier too play on a casual level where u dont play enought too remember the diffirent dungs tho.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post

the combat res change is more a buff rather than a nerf unless you run 3-5 combat res in your group, ressing 2 people same time is just so good
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Quote Originally Posted by Garaad View Post
    Fair enought. Havent played since the BR changes. But even then DKs are very durable tanks if just played properly.
    I guess paladin might be easier too play on a casual level where u dont play enought too remember the diffirent dungs tho.
    There is no tank more durable in M+ then a VDH with 4 piece. They have meta up for nearly 40% of the dungeon, and have absurd hps on large packs as well as dwarfing blood damage in both aoe and ST. AoE silence(2 if horde) AoE fear to interrupt as well. Literally the only situations where you want a blood over a VDH is for the few dungeons where a larger range mass grip outweighs these massive differences or your group lacks a CR already.

The CR nerf as well as the antorus VDH 4 piece is going to tell the story the next time we get a M+ invitational.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2018-02-11 at 09:54 AM.

I tried Frost Knighting again., I have Cold Heart and the Bracers Legendary's, and a bunch of other equipment I've saved that give me a i950 iLvl as Frost. I ran Normal Ant Raid last night with my Guild, and I found dps'ing to be boring as fuck. Specifically Frost dps, just click Remorseless winter, then spam Obliterate and Howling Blast when they proc, and use Frost Strike in between, and make sure you have Pillar of Frost up at the best time. Pretty much that's it. Mainly a 4 or 5 button spec, and most of the time just 3 buttons your spamming most the fights. I find it very dull and unexciting.

I like Tanking way better, as you have more control, and I like positioning the boss, and getting in front of them and just whacking away at them. When in dps mode, I would forget sometimes I'm not a Tank and start to go at them in the front like I was the Tank LOL. Even though I suck at mechanics for hard boss fights, I'm the type that needs to run a Raid several times as the off tank, and have my head set on with my Guild, and have the main tank spelling out what to do, which my Guild is great at helping. Once I've run it several weeks with them, it sinks in and I'm pretty good.

15+ Year Old Account
    Were Monks good in Mists? The trend basically is if the class came out in the expansion you're currently playing in, that's the best class. That's the business aspect of WoW taking over.
    If it was a game in a glass, Demon Hunters would probably be bad in some area, but right now they have no weakness that I can see (high mobility, self healing, cooldowns, great damage). While DKs have to have no mobility and damage because "class fantasy" and um some other BS excuses that no one cares about that we all know are excuses. It has to be this way because of Blizzard's business model, attracting players and all that BS. Nothing we can do about it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by msdos View Post
    Were Monks good in Mists? The trend basically is if the class came out in the expansion you're currently playing in, that's the best class. That's the business aspect of WoW taking over.
    If it was a game in a glass, Demon Hunters would probably be bad in some area, but right now they have no weakness that I can see (high mobility, self healing, cooldowns, great damage). While DKs have to have no mobility and damage because "class fantasy" and um some other BS excuses that no one cares about that we all know are excuses. It has to be this way because of Blizzard's business model, attracting players and all that BS. Nothing we can do about it.
    Ah yes because strong specifically in 5 mans and specifically with the last tiers 4 piece means OP all expansion right? Guardian Druid was unreasonably good for the first two tiers of legion at least so they must be a new class too right?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bobty View Post
    Guardian Druid was unreasonably good for the first two tiers of legion at least so they must be a new class too right?
    No you changed up what I said. I said if the class came out in the expansion you're playing in, it's the best class.

Not really a serious statement anyway, I was more or less trying to highlight how Demon Hunters have zero weakness and DKs HAVE to be slow and deal bad damage for reasons.

Deleted
    All of them blood evles? Man, are you serious?

Played a bit this afternoon on both characters my Paladin tank and death knight tank I think I'm just going to leave it this way the rest of the expansion, tanking will be done by my Paladin only and DPS will be done by my death knight I'll stick him to frost. No sense having two tanks, and my guild does need another dps, they already have enough tanks.

If you want a tank that's easy to play,run bear :P

virtually impossible to be bad at bear

Quote Originally Posted by ONCHEhap View Post
    If you want a tank that's easy to play,run bear :P

virtually impossible to be bad at bear
    I have no problem with my Paladin or even my death knight tanking, sometimes my issues are more mechanics and that doesn't matter which tank class I play, I need to learn some of the boss fights better so playing the number one best at Druid even at 980 level wouldn't help that.

The bosses I do know well, my Paladin does just fine.

Moving forward I will try to learn Frost DPS better. It is a fast attack machine gun style class.
    Last edited by Zorachus; 2018-02-12 at 10:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would suggest playing brewmaster for casual players. Brewmaster built with defense in mind is virtually indestructible. The only boss I don't like is Imiron because of his hard hitting magical ability, but it's still manageable. It's hard to play wrong as brewmaster, because you don't have to predict damage, you just deal with it afterwards. He's almost immune to physical damage and there's a lot of fatal physical damage in latest raids, so you can make mistakes and not being punished for them. You'll play better if you know encounter, but you won't play bad if you don't know encounter or making some mistakes. Also brewmaster is very competitive with tank DPS, brewmaster allows to deal with all M+ affixes easily, brewmaster has one interrupt, one CC interrupt (paralyze), awesome AOE stun which could be used as CC interrupt too. Combine it with pandaren (another CC interrupt) or blood elf (aoe spell interrupt) and you don't need anyone to deal with a lot of M+ mechanics.

Just don't be disappointed after first few runs. You need to get some gear and you need to have general understanding of the spec (when to drink beer), but it's easy to learn.

The best class for casual play in your case is obviously Paladin since you enjoy it most and do just fine on it. It also is extremely competitive at high end m+ if that's what you are asking. Looking at raider.io tank leaderboards at https://raider.io/mythic-plus/season...acter/all/tank it seems that the top end is DK > Paladin > DH with all three being pretty close. Monks, Druids and Warriors seem to be struggling a bit more but for casual play they all work fine.

Deleted
    Is Paladin really casual friendly? Pala has probably the best AM in the game with SotR but if you dont have it up you are very vulnerable (if doing hard Content)

I´d too suggest Guardian for casual play.

As others have mentioned DH with new 4p is super strong for m+ and DH will probably dominate the next MDI.
    But in raids DH has the same Problem as Paladin. You have AM gaps and since DH selfhealing does not scale with Damage taken it can get rough. Thats why for Progress raiding you mostly saw Guardian, DK and Monk this Tier.

Deleted
    I tried BrM - a few hundred m+ runs before 7.3. I benched her because of the total reliance on healers.
    I tried DH next but benched her too because how fragile she was outside of DS, especially in higher keys and larger pulls (when without painbringer and selfheal yet).
    I loved WW for OS and liked Havoc animations (not playstyle) for OS.
    I tried paladin and it was great tanking. Retri kills my interest in it.
    I tried bear but ... that's boring AF! Kitty is fun but I main tanking.
    Warrior was not my cake all Legion long.
    I'm back to my selfheal graball god of blood and love it. With boots and ring there are no mobility issues. Actually there are ... for the rest who can't keep up. Got bored of frost "rotation" and never looked back. UH is super fun for me. Quasi ranged dot pet class with incredible aoe.

I am playing mostly m+ and some +60% of them are pugs. DK fits my needs more than any other. It sucks in dps in Antorus hc without tier but that's still on the loot table for me

My beef with Blood DK, is similar to Frost DK, a boring rotation.

My main rotation goes like; DnD, then Blood Boil, then Morrowrend to 7 or so, then what I call the typical rotation of a combo of 1 XBlood Boil + 2 or 3 X Heart Strikes, + 1 X Death Strike, and rinse repeat that mostly of 1 BB + 2 HS + 1 DS + DnD when it procs + keeping Morrow up. I use Vampire when needed.

But I seem to run into cool down issues, where Heart Strike will be on CD, and no DS's available, and the rotation or whatever we call it today, seems to get muddy and slow sometimes. I just wish it was a fast easy smooth of Blood Boil + 2 or 3 Heart Strikes + 1 Death Strike, rinse and repeat and never miss a beat, no cool dowsn ever, I find the cool downs to be so annoying and frustrating.