Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Switching from Affl Lock to Spriest

Find the rotation of Affl lock pretty dull, wanted something more fast paced and fun.
    So I was going to switch to a spriest, they look amazing.

But I'm not sure if theres any point now, my friend says they are exactly like Affli locks. So maybe I should just stay on my warlock? ;-;

They are the same in that they both use dots, but I'd say their similarities end there. Shadow is faster pace and more streamlined. Affliction is all about resource and buff management.
    I'd say roll shadow if you want a simpler faster rotation with big numbers.
    Affl if you want to solo raid bosses and like a challenging rotation.

Spriest is a supremely better dot spec mechanically speaking than affliction.

Affliction is just overtuned in numbers, but it plays like shit.

Virtually no warlock was playing it in EN when it sucked ass. Only reason it's played is because they buffed it to the high heavens, otherwise the majority of locks would be destro.

10+ Year Old Account
    To me, shadow is just a better spec than affliction but with worse numbers (currently). I find it better designed and more fun. Of course shadow has its flaws too.
    Affliction has the added benefit on being on a class with several dps specs. So if you're only viewing it in terms of a dps player, that can be a gamebreaker for many.

If you're planning to play high-end, shadow can be rather difficult to get into nowadays. Optimal playstyle is very gear dependant.

Deleted
    They really are all but the same. If you want to do challenging content, switching from affli to shadow is like shooting yourself to a knee. Worst part is getting yourself into grps. If you are playing with friends and guild, definately give shadow a try.

You'll have way more benefits switching from Afflock to Destrolock than to SPriest. That's nothing but a waste of time, but it depends on what you're planning to do in terms of content.

Having recently done this, I can attest that shadow priests are indeed more fast-paced and fun.

It's a pretty frustrating class to play though. Both my warlock and priest are around the same level (945ish), but even with near perfect play, my priest can not even come close to my warlock's dps. After a boss kill with a priest, you can nail your rotation, feel like you did an amazing job, and then open Recount to find yourself barely above the tanks. It's really sad.

Valette is right - you need a Sephuz and tier bonuses to keep up with what other classes do in their sleep.

There was a hit song from Sam Brown in 1988. You can reach it here.

That sums up my reaction to your potential switch.

As someone who is a ranged caster aficionado, and plays both a Spriest as well as an Aff Lock:

If you want something more fast paced, fun, and rewarding then yes Shadow Priest is one of the best caster specs for that at the moment. They are on the upper end for ALL specs right now in terms of design, both thematically and gameplay-wise (if you enjoy a spammy playstyle)-- they are amazing. It's always a rush as your void form stacks get higher and higher and your cast times/rotation approach ludicrous speed! The closest comparison I can make is playing a geared combat rogue back in the day, but with your resource system in reverse. I personally love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Atoczix View Post
    my friend says they are exactly like Affli locks.
    Your friend has no idea what they're talking about. Shadow plays somewhere in the middle of the spectrum between a straight nuker (Arcane mage) and a pure dotter (Aff Lock).. with only 2 dots and bomb spells like Mind blast, void bolt, void torrent, it will be a refreshing change of pace for you.

It's not without flaws though. As others have said, Aff locks are just overtuned right now and Spriests are more gear (and legendary) dependent... and require better internet, but that's another thing. As the saying goes, Spriest is a poor man's Affliction. Personally I play my Aff lock when I feel the need to stomp meters and parse while drooling on myself, and play shadow when I want to have more raw fun. Bonus: Shadow pvp is a blast!

In the end it's up to you, but maybe consider giving Shadow Priest a chance.
    Last edited by Trilic; 2018-02-13 at 04:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iliekcookies View Post
    WoW is like heroine among MMORPGs. Once you're hooked, it's an addiction. You can't go back to anything weaker.

Quote Originally Posted by gioderpington View Post
    They are the same in that they both use dots, but I'd say their similarities end there. Shadow is faster pace and more streamlined. Affliction is all about resource and buff management.
    I'd say roll shadow if you want a simpler faster rotation with big numbers.
    Affl if you want to solo raid bosses and like a challenging rotation.
    What is insanity and voidform to you? Because in the game you're playing 1 is a resource and the other is a buff...without managing them properly in any raid encounter your DPS will be better suited to critters than the boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Trilic View Post
    Your friend has no idea what they're talking about. Shadow plays somewhere in the middle of the spectrum between a straight nuker (Arcane mage) and a pure dotter (Aff Lock).. with only 2 dots and bomb spells like Mind blast, void bolt, void torrent, it will be a refreshing change of pace for you.

It's not without flaws though. As others have said, Aff locks are just overtuned right now and Spriests are more gear (and legendary) dependent... and require better internet, but that's another thing. As the saying goes, Spriest is a poor man's Affliction. Personally I play my Aff lock when I feel the need to stomp meters and parse while drooling on myself, and play shadow when I want to have more raw fun. Bonus: Shadow pvp is a blast!

In the end it's up to you, but maybe consider giving Shadow Priest a chance.
    This conversation is full of nonsense beginning to end, Shadow will overtake affliction in longer fights, and fights where you can surrender. At some point all of you need to stop complaining that 1 class isn't equal to another...the fuck you should never be equal to everything, or something just because its similar. Everyone class and spec should have a niche and differences. Ghostcrawler left maybe you can too!!!
    Last edited by VooDsXo; 2018-02-13 at 05:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by VooDsXo View Post
    Shadow will overtake affliction in longer fights
    That's only true if the exec phase lasts absurdly long enough, which approximately never happens though. And even in this case, I'm pretty sure an Afflock with the correct talent will still deal lots more of damage than us.

Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    You'll have way more benefits switching from Afflock to Destrolock than to SPriest. That's nothing but a waste of time, but it depends on what you're planning to do in terms of content.
    Agree with you. Shadow is in a poor state. Affliction is pumping out some glorious numbers for the effort put in to play style. Shadow makes me feel like a meth addict waiting for a hit every minute and no fun for the fumbling fingers.

I always found Shadow interesting to watch but could never get my head around how to play it, affliction is great but pretty boring.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atoczix View Post
    Find the rotation of Affl lock pretty dull, wanted something more fast paced and fun.
    So I was going to switch to a spriest, they look amazing.

But I'm not sure if theres any point now, my friend says they are exactly like Affli locks. So maybe I should just stay on my warlock? ;-;
    Most Spriests/Aff Locks play both, I find. You are allowed to play both
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Worst idea ever. Stay warlock if you like to DPS. At least you have 3 viable spec.
    Shadow is fun but super frustrating!

I've been reading this thread with interest as I am considering rolling a SP or Warlock (Affliction spec) for BfA. I'd be leveling the class from level 1 and have little to no experience on either class. I think any class in WoW is fine for questing & leveling and I only really do LFR. Thus, I am not overly concerned about being the best and consider myself to be a casual player.

I do like to PvP a lot, mainly random battlegrounds, and I wonder if anyone can provide insight for the fun factor of playing a SP or Affliction Lock in PvP? What do you enjoy or dislike about it?

Ive been playing a shadow priest recently. Shes still low geared but i find the play style quite fun. I have an affliction lock too , which im mostly working on for the mage tower appearance and found a raid encounter like garothi really dull. Theyre a little more fun in world content ive found. I just find that as a shadow priest, theres a little more to do. Its a weird situation for me. I was planning to use my boost for another lock on another realm but now im debating making a mage instead.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by athrun7189 View Post
    Worst idea ever. Stay warlock if you like to DPS. At least you have 3 viable spec.
    Shadow is fun but super frustrating!
    Isnt Demo in a bad spot? Far from viable that is. Mostly asking out of curiosity. I rarely see any.
    Last edited by Ozzyorcborne; 2018-02-14 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzyorcborne View Post
    Isnt Demo in a bad spot? Far from viable that is. Mostly asking out of curiosity. I rarely see any.
    Demonolock has its flaws on Legion but it performs quite fine if you get involved in this spec as far as I've seen.

It's the rarest Lock spec because :
    - Affliction is the go-to. Huge numbers, insane utility, not really hard to perform well
    - Destruction is also fine now I think and a lot of people prefers this spec in terms of gameplay.

Demono suffered from the loss of Metamorphosis (given to DH) and is basically a pet spec, so it inherits all the issues of a pet spec (like pathing issues).

But you'll get a more accurate overview on the Warlock sub-forum I think.

@Ophenia, @Ozzyorcborne

also: demo's nuke windows are very specific and disruption at the wrong time leads to massive dps loss

Quote Originally Posted by Trathos77 View Post
    I've been reading this thread with interest as I am considering rolling a SP or Warlock (Affliction spec) for BfA. I'd be leveling the class from level 1 and have little to no experience on either class. I think any class in WoW is fine for questing & leveling and I only really do LFR. Thus, I am not overly concerned about being the best and consider myself to be a casual player.

I do like to PvP a lot, mainly random battlegrounds, and I wonder if anyone can provide insight for the fun factor of playing a SP or Affliction Lock in PvP? What do you enjoy or dislike about it?
    Shadow is a better multidotter, and with the right talents you will be topping meters very easily, especially if you really min/max void form. Shadow is also much more mobile than affliction, dispersion is a nice oh shit button that can combo with speed boosts to give you a second life and run to a healer. It can also slow single targets which helps kite and secure kills. Very nice padding of meters.

Affliction is god when it comes to 1v1s or even 1vX. Especially effective against noobs. It also has one of the best single target damage. Basically you can constantly burst a target. Fantastic execute. Tons of self healing, but no mobility. If you engage something you have to kill it or die. Not as good of a multi-dotter as shadow; not bad just not as good.