Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Not only did they get a largely negative reception from just about every Warrior player in Warlords, Valajar and Vrykul are as stated too large to be a player race. Kul Tirans fit their niche of "barbarian" while also offering another playable Human Kingdom.

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    It doesn't look that bad and it still feels vrykul-sized.
    Excuse me, but it looks bad for me, while playing a Troll or a Night Elf, to look like Shorty McShortshorts next to a viking human. And, were I to actually play a vrykul, it would feel very odd to me to feel undersized next to NPCs of my own kind and inside buildings of my own kind. The size difference is big enough that you have to explain this tribe of "smaller vrykul" in lore, at which point, again, you're better off with the "larger humans" that can be burly for their race yet still remain smaller than trolls.

Quote Originally Posted by EbaumsTipster View Post
    Not only did they get a largely negative reception from just about every Warrior player in Warlords, Valajar and Vrykul are as stated too large to be a player race. Kul Tirans fit their niche of "barbarian" while also offering another playable Human Kingdom.
    I doubt many people think "barbarian" when they look at the Kul Tirans, especially the female model. If Kul Tiran is going to be a compromise for vrykul, I'd rather not have anything.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coconut View Post
    Excuse me, but it looks bad for me, while playing a Troll or a Night Elf, to look like Shorty McShortshorts next to a viking human. And, were I to actually play a vrykul, it would feel very odd to me to feel undersized next to NPCs of my own kind and inside buildings of my own kind. The size difference is big enough that you have to explain this tribe of "smaller vrykul" in lore, at which point, again, you're better off with the "larger humans" that can be burly for their race yet still remain smaller than trolls.
    troll look hunched so it's not the best example .. but I don't see an issue scaling them down a bit. Looks like your on your own on this 1.

10+ Year Old Account
    They've shrunk Zandalari and so far if I recall there has been no explanation as to why or if they will be made bigger after they fix Nightborne or something.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    If so, I hope they find a befitting size that works. I hope for vrykul to be a allied race, really. Since alliance gets kul'tirans, horde should get them. Aswell as their culture fits the horde (orcs).

Quote Originally Posted by Macilento View Post

So for this reasons i would honestly put them HORDE, even with some strong points in favor of alliance
    Putting Vrykul in Horde instead of Alliance gonna cause a shitstorm 10 time bigger than Nightborn joining Horde.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivinara View Post
    I doubt many people think "barbarian" when they look at the Kul Tirans, especially the female model. If Kul Tiran is going to be a compromise for vrykul, I'd rather not have anything.
    This. Vrykul are a barbaric race of Norse half-giants, that's their whole appeal. Having a model that just looks superficially similar doesn't actually do anything to appeal to vrykul fans. At with with void elves they look close enough to helves to where they could be played off as such.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorotia View Post
    They've shrunk Zandalari and so far if I recall there has been no explanation as to why or if they will be made bigger after they fix Nightborne or something.
    I hope they make Zandalari bigger, but the thing is Zandalari were only presented as huge in Christie Golden's books. In game, only the elites are large, which isn't saying much because elites are oversized anyway. Most NPCs throughout the Isle of Thunder are Night Elf sized, so the people designing the playable model did nothing but comply to the standard size of those NPCs (correct me if I'm wrong and they made them smaller than that).

Quote Originally Posted by Sae View Post
    I could not see the Vrykul joining the Horde making any sense at all, considering the Horde's current warchief conspired with Odyn's nemesis and attempted to enslave Eyir.
    Vry'kul society being what it is, all it would take is for Sylvanas to defeat Odyn in a duel, and the Vry'kul will join the Horde willingly.

And to everyone else, stop using NPC heights as any sort of argument. It's tired and invalid.

Quote Originally Posted by Futhark View Post
    And to everyone else, stop using NPC heights as any sort of argument. It's tired and invalid.

Quest/Raid NPCs are taller than regular NPCs, but that doesn't mean that every Vrykul mob and character that isn't a toy isn't suddenly ridiculously tall.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivinara View Post
    Preach....

Deleted
    No, they're too fucking big (for doors, mounts, stairs, dungeons).
    EverQuest had a playable Barbarian melee-oriented race which were basically burly, muscular Humans (also playable), but they were not any taller. They also had another humanoid playable race, Erudites, which were basically very thin (and black) Humans, just a bit taller, caster oriented.
    My guess is we'll get Kul'Tirans and Thin Humans (with a better name, hopefully) as the equivalent of their EQ ancestors, since WoW more often than not gets its "inspiration" from that ancient game. Vrykul? Nah.

Vry'kul society being what it is, all it would take is for Sylvanas to defeat Odyn in a duel, and the Vry'kul will join the Horde willingly.

Bosses, elites and quest mobs are larger than usual, but standard mobs and NPCs are not. There is also a lot of Vrykul architecture in the world that aligns with the larger size. You don't see human doors and chairs being sized for Dungeon Boss Jaina.

7+ Year Old Account

what, no, i already told you, if a giant race ever enter the horde will be ogres

- - - Updated - - -

Bosses, elites and quest mobs are larger than usual, but standard mobs and NPCs are not.

and playable character are smaller than usual, this whole discussion of size is damn irrelevant, if thy want they will do it regardless of what people think and will just use lore as excuse since vrykuls are smaller than tauren in lore.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    what, no, i already told you, if a giant race ever enter the horde will be ogres

- - - Updated - - -

and playable character are smaller than usual, this whole discussion of size is damn irrelevant, if thy want they will do it regardless of what people think and will just use lore as excuse since vrykuls are smaller than tauren in lore.
    i dont get all the size thing as well, the size in this game always has changed based on the gameplay needs. IF you are playable you can't be 500 mt tall of course, but you can still be big enough the dwarf any other race (like taurens or trolls).
    Plus, yes i want ogre so badly, but i almsot lost hope on that

Quote Originally Posted by Macilento View Post
    i dont get all the size thing as well, the size in this game always has changed based on the gameplay needs. IF you are playable you can't be 500 mt tall of course, but you can still be big enough the dwarf any other race (like taurens or trolls).
    Plus, yes i want ogre so badly, but i almsot lost hope on that
    Because in this case size is a defining characteristic, and it's pretty constant between Northrend Vrykul, Stormheim Vrykul and Kval'dir. Without their colossal size, Vrykul are basically humans with a very specific viking culture. If you bring them from their standard state of twice the height of a Tauren down to the range of playable models (which you have to in order for them to pass through all doors) a great deal of that identity is lost. They become merely "really tall humans" - and yes, this affects the "feel" of other races. Because this is a fantasy world where some races are bigger than humans: orcs are bigger than humans, Tauren tower over them, trolls and elves are taller, just like there are smaller races. If you add in Vrykul, the largest race is a human, and the original humans, i guess, become "pigmy humans". It would be weird. Ogres work a lot better because even though they are larger in lore, they have other things that define them even if they are shrunk down (and you do encounter smaller ogres in game, unlike vrykul).

The size is increased for gameplay reasons, yes. Mostly that reason is visibility, helping you find an important NPC or keep track of it in a dungeon or raid. Very rarely are models reduced in size (mostly mounts so they fit player models), and playable races tend to be very consistent with regular NPCs. If character size doesn't matter, why not have tiny orcs and giant gnomes?

7+ Year Old Account
    If character size doesn't matter, why not have tiny orcs and giant gnomes?
    you are just using hyperbole now

Again, do no matter how you, me or everyone here see vrykuls, blizzard will change their size to fit their desires and will use lore as excuse.

Vrykuls are at least 1-2 feet smaller than taurens, by lore standart, so your view of colossal beings is wrong

If they ever become playable blizzard will just put then as tauren size and call done, same they will do with zandalari
    Last edited by Syegfryed; 2018-02-13 at 11:02 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I've been assuming that the Kul Tirans are meant to be a compromise, as they're clearly based on the vrykul model, and are likely a shoe-in for a future Allied Race.

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    you are just using hyperbole now

Again, do no matter how you, me or everyone here see vrykuls, blizzard will change their size to fit their desires and will use lore as excuse.

Vrykuls are at least 1-2 feet smaller than taurens, by lore standart, so your view of colossal beings is wrong

If they ever become playable blizzard will just put then as tauren size and call done, same they will do with zandalari
    This is the second time you quote that "lore", would be nice to provide a source to support your claim. Preferably something that is still official, not some non-canonical RPG book or a tweet some dev made 6 years ago on a Sunday before coffee. For now, the game represents them as huge - and not just the model which can vary between trash mobs and dungeon bosses, but also the buildings, which are a lot more exact.

Yes, in the end Blizzard will do what it sees fit, but that also includes not adding them as a playable race, or giving you a reasonable compromise in the Kul Tirans.