Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Curious as to why that's listed as an NPC?
    120 | 110 | 110 | 110 | 101 | 101 | 101 | 100
    91 | 91 | 80 | 70 | 70 | 60 | 60

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    Kinda tired of all this "Old God" stuff before it even becomes a expension/patch/whatever...

Why are people so damn obsessed with these Old Gods. Is that what you want to fight? Tentacles, Teeth, Eyes, purple slime?
    Sounds so boring.

The Lightbringer Highlord Hanibuhl's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Magicon View Post
    Kinda tired of all this "Old God" stuff before it even becomes a expension/patch/whatever...

Why are people so damn obsessed with these Old Gods. Is that what you want to fight? Tentacles, Teeth, Eyes, purple slime?
    Sounds so boring.
    Old Gods are shrouded in mystery.. THAT's why people obsess over them. Including me!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Magicon View Post

Sounds so boring.
    Because I am a H. P. Lovecraft fanatic and any nod towards his works and extended universe gets my imagination racing.

Sounds like an interactable book or something. Maybe something like the Lorewalker encounter from the jade temple dungeon? Definitely N'zoth-related though.

Quote Originally Posted by Benomatic View Post
    Because I am a H. P. Lovecraft fanatic and any nod towards his works and extended universe gets my imagination racing.
    Exactly this. I wish people were not narrow-minded and only excited about spikes and Demons or whatever <insert Horde meme>. Old God fantasy is truly about mystery, even within the WoW universe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    Old man and the sea, but with a twist.
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

Old gods are some of the best villains ever in the Warcraft universe for reasons that have been listed above. I wish they were the top dogs of the Void though and not the Void Lords.

Probably a book about that one time C'thun went fishing with his friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Prifter View Post
    Old gods are some of the best villains ever in the Warcraft universe for reasons that have been listed above. I wish they were the top dogs of the Void though and not the Void Lords.
    To me, I find them to be rather uninspired. They have potential, but the potential is exercised lazily and without thought.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by deviantcultist View Post
    Exactly this. I wish people were not narrow-minded and only excited about spikes and Demons or whatever <insert Horde meme>. Old God fantasy is truly about mystery, even within the WoW universe.
    It's not about being narrow minded, it's about people consistently hyping the Old Gods to be things that we know they aren't. I, for one, am still experiencing some Old God fatigue from when there were full-on flame wars triggered by people stating - without evidence - that a single Old God could defeat Sargeras/The Pantheon/etc., that the Old Gods were really the ones who controlled the universe and that their armies were greater in size than that of the Legions, and so on. It's not that people dislike the Old Gods, it just gets super tiring hearing them be hyped over and over after a while. The one thing I will give is that it's almost impossible to be fatigued due to the diversity of their aesthetic.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

Quote Originally Posted by Magical Mudcrab View Post
    It's not that people dislike the Old Gods, it just gets super tiring hearing them be hyped over and over after a while. The one thing I will give is that it's almost impossible to be fatigued due to the diversity of their aesthetic.
    To be frank, I am not denying it becoming tiring to some eventually. However, it still feels fresh seeing it in-game as a major thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Magical Mudcrab View Post
    - without evidence -
    I very much doubt that. Blizzard lore is so inconsistent, with so many devs with varying views, that there is evidence for very wildly varying ideas on what Old Gods are. In Knaak's books, they were confident they could deal with Sargeras, no problem. In C'thun's backstory, he took out a Titan in personal combat. By Cataclysm, they had doubledowned more on Titans creating everything, and Old Gods merely being corruptors. Nyorloth used to be in Cdev, and it's clear he subscribed to the idea of them being truly deathless and exceedingly powerful entities at their full-strength. Then he was laid-off. Whoever took over next had a very different perspective on them, as something the Titans could just rip out of the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Prifter View Post
    I don't think you understand what Blizzard is doing. They nerfed the Old Gods to the ground, but the Old Gods have hivemind themes. Il'gynoth is described as being part of N'zoth, while also acting as a separate entity with its own name. Same goes for each and every Faceless One.

The current idea for Old Gods is probably that the Void Lords are the Old Gods, in the same way N'zoth is Il'gynoth. That's how they're resolving the power level questions, where they've been using Old Gods at two very different power levels. The solution is to split them up into the physical manifestation of Void, the Old Gods, and the incorporeal and deathless spirit of the Void, the Void Lords.
    Last edited by KrakHed; 2018-02-16 at 07:25 PM.

It's a reference to the Hemingway novel The Old Man and the Sea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Personally, I preferred the Old Gods before we knew about their backstory and purpose - when they loomed in the background fringes of the story as ill-defined and somewhat nebulous. Knowing that they're simply a catspaw for the Void Lords to infect the physical universe robs them of much of their mystery, which in turn makes them somewhat less powerful story-elements in their own right. I think I prefer the Old Gods and their Black Empire a bit more than I do the Burning Legion as antagonists, though - the demons have always felt a little too external to me, a little too of an outside threat. The Old Gods have been with us since the beginning, though; barely glimpsed through the pages of history but always shaping events to their advantage from the shadows. The feel both like a more direct threat and simultaneously cloaked in layers of subterfuge and secrecy.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Personally, I preferred the Old Gods before we knew about their backstory and purpose - when they loomed in the background fringes of the story as ill-defined and somewhat nebulous. Knowing that they're simply a catspaw for the Void Lords to infect the physical universe robs them of much of their mystery, which in turn makes them somewhat less powerful story-elements in their own right. I think I prefer the Old Gods and their Black Empire a bit more than I do the Burning Legion as antagonists, though - the demons have always felt a little too external to me, a little too of an outside threat. The Old Gods have been with us since the beginning, though; barely glimpsed through the pages of history but always shaping events to their advantage from the shadows. The feel both like a more direct threat and simultaneously cloaked in layers of subterfuge and secrecy.
    Look at Aucald practically word for word saying what I was thinking.

Get out of my brain!
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    Look at Aucald practically word for word saying what I was thinking.

Get out of my brain!
    I find other people's headspaces to be fascinating - when they're not absolutely terrifying, that is. Sorry for the temporary intrusion, and we know return you to your regularly scheduled stream of consciousness.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by KrakHed View Post
    The current idea for Old Gods is probably that the Void Lords are the Old Gods, in the same way N'zoth is Il'gynoth. That's how they're resolving the power level questions, where they've been using Old Gods at two very different power levels. The solution is to split them up into the physical manifestation of Void, the Old Gods, and the incorporeal and deathless spirit of the Void, the Void Lords.
    Would also explain the whole Deathless thing... we can't actually do crap about the Void Lords, so all we've really been doing is chop of some meaty bits they extruded into the corporeal universe, without causing any real lasting damage. To them, anyway. Azeroth is a different topic.