Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    this statement alone proves that those people dont deserve any tips whatsoever . stupid custom for lazy people who cba to fight for their worker rights.
    That's an instant firing and a blacklist for any references where I am.

What actually happens, is the server might ignore your table, or tell the kitchen it's a bad tipper so don't worry about ticket time. That's only when it's a multiple-repeat offender.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Twix View Post
    No I won't be forced to pay increased prices because waiters at popular restaurants are making wayyyy too much money. I know a waiter who was making $50/hour working at a busy restaurant. That is way too much for serving plates.
    Yes, you will, because part of costing out menu items is labor cost. If labor costs increase, so will the menu cost. It won't be a 1:1 increase, but it will be one.

Edit: If you've never dealt with the public... It's much more than serving plates.
    Last edited by belfpala; 2018-02-16 at 08:28 PM.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Forgetting the SJW crap for now its very simple. A huge number of American sit-down restaurant CUSTOMERS want the current system, as unfair as it, and will take their business elsewhere if you try a no tipping or automatic percentage added on to the bill. In most restaurants if you lose as little as lets say 20% of that business you will be in trouble. In the end it's the customer who decides and up till now the least objectionable system to the customer is the one we have currently.

No tipping experiments have been tried in the past. Usually they fall flat on their faces. But things change. Perhaps this generation will be the one to away with it. But as long as that means the customer has no way to meaningfully express their displeasure with poor service I wouldn't want to bet on it.

Honestly didn't think I would get so many Answers to Tipping in the USA

Before I start my trip to the USA later this year
    I need to see if I can get a VISA first & visit US Consulate

I was involved in a Bar Fight 25 Years ago over a lady.
    My only Discretion

Just wanna see if it was a crime of moral turpitude.

Otherwise , its NFL on TV in Aussie

Can USA Customs see that you where once a naughty boy ?
    Last edited by Blobfish; 2018-02-17 at 07:47 AM.

- Typically you do 15% to 20% of your bill as a tip, less if you thought the service was bad. Also, make sure to tip any delivery people/room service and not just waiters/waitresses.

- If you're obviously foreign then your server might curse you out after you leave, but that's about it. So if you don't mind being a dick then feel free not to tip

- Usually you just leave your tip on the table after they've taken the check and they'll sort out dividing it among themselves.

- I'm told it's not much of a thing in Canada, but you should probably ask a Canadian, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Humpty Doo View Post

My only Discretion

"an act or behavior that gravely violates the sentiment or accepted standard of the community" ... nah, you're cool. At least I'd assume. I don't even think that would be on your record anymore.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    "an act or behavior that gravely violates the sentiment or accepted standard of the community" ... nah, you're cool. At least I'd assume. I don't even think that would be on your record anymore.
    Thanks buddy.. I did get fingerprinted
    Duuno if Aussies share fingerprints with USA

Just gave a guy a black eye.. done for Assault occasionaly Bodily Harm..

I always regret it.. remorseful... just bad... it hangs with me like a stench (for me personally)

Quote Originally Posted by Humpty Doo View Post

My only Discretion

Otherwise , its NFL on TV in Aussie

Can USA Customs see that you where once a naughty boy ?
    Don't your criminal record get wiped if you don't commit any crime for a certain amount of years?

Quote Originally Posted by Player Twelve View Post
    Don't your criminal record get wiped if you don't commit any crime for a certain amount of years?
    In Australia if you have One offence which does not exceed a 6 month Jail Term , it becomes SPENT

So I have a Spent conviction...

USA does not recognise Spent Convictions

Once your convictions are spent, the Act gives you the right not to disclose them when applying for insurance. ... Most will only ask for unspent convictions, although some might ask for 'any convictions in the last 5 years'. If it's spent, you do not need to disclose it under any circumstances when applying fo

Applicants who have been arrested or charged with a crime are advised to apply for a visa well in advance of your intended date of travel. Please note this includes any offences involving the possession or use of a controlled substance. You will need to provide details of your conviction in the form of court records. Be aware that it is your responsibility to obtain these records should they be required.

At your visa interview, a consular officer will determine whether or not you are eligible for a U.S. visa. We are not able to advise whether or not you are eligible for a visa in advance of the interview.

Should you be found ineligible, the interviewing consular officer will decide on whether or not to submit a request for a waiver of your ineligibility. This request is made on your behalf to U.S. Customs and Border Protection’s Admissibility Review Office. The recommendation for a waiver is at the discretion of the interviewing consular officer and will be based on the nature, recency, and severity of your offense(s).

Approval of a waiver can take six to eight months so it is strongly advised that you not make any travel bookings prior to receipt of the visa.
    Last edited by Blobfish; 2018-02-17 at 08:52 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Themanintobuildafire View Post
    This % is retarded. So you work at an expensive restaurant, I have to pay you MORE for doing the same job as someone at a cheaper place? Fuck that.
    That's the part I never ever understood. That $100 bottle of wine is not double the effort to serve compared to the $50. It's literally the same amount of work yet one of the waiters would get $5+ extra.

Quote Originally Posted by Derpette View Post
    That's the part I never ever understood. That $100 bottle of wine is not double the effort to serve compared to the $50. It's literally the same amount of work yet one of the waiters would get $5+ extra.
    That is why I tip an amount like $2-5. If I take up 2hrs at a table I might do $10. Usually I am done in under an hour. If the waiter/waitress has 3-4 tables an hour and everyone is giving 2-5, they are making more than a skilled worker. That's pretty stupid.

I tip my barber $3. He does my hair in about 20mins and honestly that's because I want him to be encouraged to stay in his job. Finding someone to do your hair how you like it is a lot harder than finding someone who can bring you a plate of food and fill your drinks.