Poll: Best version of shadow priest?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    People voting "wotlk" have literally no idea of what they are talking about.

Shadow in wotlk was absolute trash until the 3.3 patch, the ICC one. Something all that people obviously dont know. Probably they even didnt play that exp.

Quote Originally Posted by Shandalar View Post

Shadow in wotlk was absolute trash until the 3.3 patch, the ICC one. Something all that people obviously dont know. Probably they even didnt play that exp.
    I was reading through the last few posts just now, with my blood slowly boiling. But you beat me to what I wanted to say. I mained Shadow throughput all of Wrath. We sucked until ICC. It was good at the end but damn we were bottom-middle almost the entire expac. And had to work our butts off to even do that much. Don’t get me wrong, I had fun, and I don’t remember hating it. But after playing multiple expansions as shadow, it was definitely a pretty low point in our history. People who remember otherwise must have some pretty rose-tinted glasses.
    Last edited by Kilee25; 2018-02-17 at 12:58 AM.
    "Falling from heaven is not as painful as surviving the impact."

DPS Loss - my guild on Proudmoore
    The Old Guard - my guild on Earthen Ring
    Revenant - my guild on Echo Isles

Quote Originally Posted by Shandalar View Post

Thank you for bringing that up. During that time, I was literally forced into Warlock and went back to my Spriest as soon as it got back in line.

lol at people voting cata.

Clearly sporting the Tarecgosa broken OP tinted glasses. People are so pathetically dishonest.

I guess gameplay and design matter for shit when all these people care about is being the affliction warlock/arcane mage of the end tier raid.

If they'd bring back CoP dotweaving in BfA I'll main shadow again, if not, I'll probably stick with my Fire Mage.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilee25 View Post
    I was reading through the last few posts just now, with my blood slowly boiling. But you beat me to what I wanted to say. I mained Shadow throughput all of Wrath. We sucked until ICC. It was good at the end but damn we were bottom-middle almost the entire expac. And had to work our butts off to even do that much. Don’t get me wrong, I had fun, and I don’t remember hating it. But after playing multiple expansions as shadow, it was definitely a pretty low point in our history. People who remember otherwise must have some pretty rose-tinted glasses.
    I did think WOTLK was a good one. I remember topping meters in Obsidean Sanc. Though I don't remember if that was before 3.3 or after.

Can't think of bad memories, disliking the class or feeling weak in WOTLK. Second one for me would be TBC.

Tried it in all other iterations of Wow, but didn't manage to get to end game as shadow in the others before saying: fuck this shit I'm out

Quote Originally Posted by Martyris View Post
    I did think WOTLK was a good one. I remember topping meters in Obsidean Sanc. Though I don't remember if that was before 3.3 or after.

Can't think of bad memories, disliking the class or feeling weak in WOTLK. Second one for me would be TBC.

Tried it in all other iterations of Wow, but didn't manage to get to end game as shadow in the others before saying: fuck this shit I'm out
    Obsidian Sanc came out after ICC. It was the last raid of the expac.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really wish I could have got to play shadow in wrath. It looked like so much fun but I always got stuck healing and used my hunter. But anywayy, I'd probably have to say Mists was the most fun I've had with shadow. I really enjoyed the rotation and don't think there were many boss fights I didn't enjoy as shadow. Timeless Isle was also a blast with the amount of haste we could have there. I felt safe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilee25 View Post
    Obsidian Sanc came out after ICC. It was the last raid of the expac.
    You're thinking of Ruby Sanctum, which was the mini-raid between ICC and Cata launch. Obsidian Sanctum came out right at the start of Wrath.

I'm kinda debating between Late Cata, CoP Draenor, and most of MoP. Its hard to separate rose-tint from actual mechanics, and it doesn't help that I didn't play shadow seriously before Cata. I probably would have enjoyed TBC based on what I've heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambereldus View Post
    You're thinking of Ruby Sanctum, which was the mini-raid between ICC and Cata launch. Obsidian Sanctum came out right at the start of Wrath.
    Yeah.... okay I think I understand what that person is talking about now. Yes, there was a “grey area” just before going into Ulduar and after naxx where the other dps classes hadn’t yet outscaled us and we had some tier gear. If you did the hard modes of the dragon, it started to resemble a council fight to a degree, and we did do pretty well in that fight.

We didn’t scale well however, so after that we started sliding towards the back of the pack, and stayed there until ICC. There was a patch just before ICC that addressed our poor scaling and numbers, and we finished out the expansion fairly strong. My main issue and point is that, to me, we were basically just a warm body for almost the entire expac. The class played fine, but it just didn’t really stand out or feel particularly vital, compared to some of the other expansions. My point is if we’re voting, try to separate your love of the expansion from the class design and performance. There were better expacs for us, for sure.

The main issue of shadow in WotlK was the lack of scaling. Shadows`s dots didnt scale with haste, Mind Flay or Mind Blast neither, so the rest of classes when the gear improved just outshined it. Until 3.3 and the big work done shadow was just the worst dps class.

Quote Originally Posted by HuxNeva View Post
    If they'd bring back CoP dotweaving in BfA I'll main shadow again, if not, I'll probably stick with my Fire Mage.
    It's pretty much the same at the moment. You put up some dots, and then keep spamming spells/instants. The only thing is that you don't have to memorize a 15 cast starter queue.

Quote Originally Posted by Jervaise View Post
    It's pretty much the same at the moment. You put up some dots, and then keep spamming spells/instants. The only thing is that you don't have to memorize a 15 cast starter queue.
    The Legion version is interesting, but too spammy and dotty for me

Gong to assume that Cata is going to win by a landslide, since it was the same as Classic, TBC and WotLK, just... better. Cata is general considered our golden era, and you still see ppl suggesting that we should return to that playstyle these days.

Personally its a tie between Cata t11/t12 and WoD AS. Both t13 and CoP were dogshit.
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

I think the only thing I liked about CoP was that you could compete in ST damage with the top dogs. The rotation was far too difficult for a class with 1 option for dps however. I think the best version of Shadow is yet to come - which is none of the previous iterations.

Tbh, CoP was pretty straight forward and didn't have that much to it - both the haste version and the mastery version - as long as you'd learn to follow a cast sequence instead of a typical "rotation" with procs and what-not it was simple. Early WoD dot-weaving was much more difficult imo, but nothing compares to the difficulty of playing S2M well in EN/ToV. THAT was some stupid shit that luckily has died.

I tried ShP almost every expansion and never found it fun to play compared to other classes. Now I fucking love it.

Actually S2M was pretty easy, you had complete freedom of movement and you got a point where you only had 1 filler so you were on a 2 button rotation basically where you only had to press torrent/dispersion at a set stack. The hardest part was predicting the ETA on the boss, and having a guild with good dps to increase your relative uptime. Plus, looks like its returning to BfA with reduced consequences and cooldown, which pretty much points to multiple uses on bosses with RP in between or reset phases. This indicates to me the devs still want it to be a thing.

Cata > MoP/WoD > WotLK > everything else > a lobotomy >>>>>>>>>>>> a painful, slow and agonizing death after watching everything I've ever known and loved destroyed before me > Legion

Mechanically MOP was fine, but good God our damage was dogshit except on the most council-y of council fights. Ridiculous amounts of passive healing with Halo, though, so that was fun.