Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Your views about Nuclear Power?

Your views about Nuclear Power?

So recently watching a documentary about the Chernobyl nuclear power plant accident it got me thinking about the benefits and the dangers of nuclear power.

The accident happened in April 1986 the same time my mom was carrying my sister who when she was born in September had major heart problems which thanks to the doctors saved her life and she still ended up with major health problems like a deformed spine but she grew up to be a mother with a wonderful family.

I lived in England at the time of that accident and i still remember the reports on the TV and i know my sisters health could just be a massive coincidence which it most prolly was.

Ive learnt alot more about nuclear power and radiation since and even after Fukushima and what i just posted i still believe Nuclear power is the way of the future because there is nothing better unless wind and solar becomes much more efficient in areas where you dont get alot of wind or sun light. Plus i would love to see the end of Oil so we can tell the Middle East we no longer care about there petty religious/tribal problems anymore and we can no longer make things worse when we intervene!

So Nuclear power your thoughts?
    Last edited by yetgdhfgh; 2018-02-19 at 05:39 AM.

Until dealing with the waste is accounted for, risk and cost included, nuclear power isn't really viable, and people are just kind of putting off the cost until later.

As long as it isn't anywhere close to where I live, sure. I'd rather have water/solar/wind power.
    Last edited by Freighter; 2018-02-19 at 03:58 AM.

Deleted
    Nuclear power is wasted money. It's only rational if you use it!

10+ Year Old Account
    It still has problems depending on what kind of reactor you are talking about, and if recycling is available nearby, but in general it's great. People and media love to use certain cases for fear-mongering, because that's what media does in our age
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    As long as it isn't anywhere close to where I live, sure. I'd rather have water/sun/wind power.
    Until the sun doesn't shine or the wind doesn't blow.

Here in Australia we have an abundance of uranium and vast deserts, hundreds miles from anyone and have no history of earthquakes that are perfect for nuclear power plants. Yet we have none because politicians are idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by Torto View Post
    If that doesn't happen then we're fucked either way.

Fuck nuclear power, read up Fussion power, has way more benefits with less danger and nuclear waste, if i remember right awhile back the just finally output more energy then they put into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    If that doesn't happen then we're fucked either way.
    LOL you know what I meant

10+ Year Old Account
    Generally in favor; newer reactor types like Canada's CANDU reactors are practically failproof.

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    Until dealing with the waste is accounted for, risk and cost included, nuclear power isn't really viable, and people are just kind of putting off the cost until later.
    All the high-level nuclear waste from every single plant for the last 40 years would just cover a football field to 8 meters depth. Even if we're talking about "build a deep bunker and bury it", that's totally achievable and functional, at the amounts we're talking about. The waste is far easier to deal with than emissions from fossil fuels, and very much in the "we can store it for 300 years until we figure out what to do with it" level of thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Torto View Post
    Solar power is generally used to offset peak demands; power demand is highest in the daytime and early evening. Wind power is generally diversified across the grid; the wind is blowing somewhere.

It's something we should have adopted long ago but the major accidents made people afraid of nuclear. At this point, we are innovating on even better energy options. If the choices were oil/gas/coal or nuclear, I'd pick nuclear energy in a heartbeat knowing how manageable the waste is.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthas242 View Post
    Fuck nuclear power, read up Fussion power, has way more benefits with less danger and nuclear waste, if i remember right awhile back the just finally output more energy then they put into it.
    It just doesn't actually work, yet.

When it does, sure, fantastic. But we're not quite there yet.

nuclear energy is great. but if the reactor an hour north of me blows up. I'm fucked.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Except they don't exist yet. Even the closest 'proof of concept' units aren't functional, nor do they produce positive energy. We're a good 50+ years off from those even becoming available on an industrial level.

I generally don't post in Nuclear threads, because I'm long since tired of dealing with the 'waaah chernobyl' posts. That said, I'm still pissed Yucca Mtn was shut down here, and I'm hoping one day people will wisen up.
    Last edited by chazus; 2018-02-19 at 04:26 AM.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Solar power is generally used to offset peak demands; power demand is highest in the daytime and early evening. Wind power is generally diversified across the grid; the wind is blowing somewhere.
    Solar loses it's usefulness when there is cloud cover, which means it's unreliable. Yes the wind always blows somewhere, but it's only useful when the wind is blowing where you have located your bird slaughtering wind farms.

10+ Year Old Account

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciStnd9Y2ak

I don't think I can post links because I don't do enough writing and prefer to lurk, but there's a great "Why I changed my mind about nuclear power | Michael Shellenberger | TEDxBerlin" youtube that brings up a lot of points about nuclear power that I've never actually considered. A couple of the most disturbing: The number of deaths associated with the particulate pollution fossil fuel plants produce vs the number of deaths that can be directly attributed to nuke plants. Secondly, the fact that nuke plants produce very little waste and it's all contained, unlike every other type of power production we have to date which is in our environment.

It's worth a watch if you have the time IMO.

Nuclear power just isn't good enough economically. The energy may be cheap when it's generated, but there's an enormous up-front cost to build the plant. When you consider all the political process of getting it approved (dealing with people's fears - realistic or not), it's not worth the trouble. It's less risky to just build another power plant which runs on fossil fuels.

Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    nuclear energy is great. but if the reactor an hour north of me blows up. I'm fucked.
    Would require all the fail safes to fail all at once and even then there's no guarantee it'll go off like a hydrogen bomb.

All for reactors that use Thorium over uranium
    I am not pro Flight, I am pro a better more engaging game. I just took the pro flight stance cause I knew Blizzard couldn't deliver. Looks like I was right