Thread: Gold Inflation

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    What a lot of people seem to not understand is that inflation is bad, even in games.
    If a new player comes to the game and the shittiest thing costs 10k gold, he's just going to pack his bags and leave.

And sure, one would think "just make more gold sinks so all that gold can just disappear" but that is ALSO bad because as most probably know, players today get angry if they can't experience something, even though imo they don't deserve those experiences if they didn't work for them, but that's just the truth, and saying you don't care about that or fighting it is just stupid... LFR exists because of that, free legendaries and free ilvl exists because of that, etc.
    So if you create gold sinks that people will want, they will complain because they can't have them because they're behind a pay wall or whatever the hell they want to complain about.

I'm not a big gold maker, but I am one, I usually make just over a million a month. And when I see people complain that I'm selling something for 3k gold when they "remember it was like 1k so that's overpriced" I tell them that's how economy works, if the cost of living (in this case the token) goes up, the price of things go up... When the token was 60k in EU you bought that for 1k (which you didn't but whatever), now the token is 300k, and the price for the item went to 3k and in reality the profit is probably the same because the materials are harder to come by or more expensive to buy so... yeah

And that's going to continue going up and up as long as the token is.

Quote Originally Posted by m4xc4v413r4 View Post
    What a lot of people seem to not understand is that inflation is bad, even in games.
    If a new player comes to the game and the shittiest thing costs 10k gold, he's just going to pack his bags and leave.

And sure, one would think "just make more gold sinks so all that gold can just disappear" but that is ALSO bad because as most probably know, players today get angry if they can't experience something, even though imo they don't deserve those experiences if they didn't work for them, but that's just the truth, and saying you don't care about that or fighting it is just stupid... LFR exists because of that, free legendaries and free ilvl exists because of that, etc.
    So if you create gold sinks that people will want, they will complain because they can't have them because they're behind a pay wall or whatever the hell they want to complain about.

I'm not a big gold maker, but I am one, I usually make just over a million a month. And when I see people complain that I'm selling something for 3k gold when they "remember it was like 1k so that's overpriced" I tell them that's how economy works, if the cost of living (in this case the token) goes up, the price of things go up... When the token was 60k in EU you bought that for 1k (which you didn't but whatever), now the token is 300k, and the price for the item went to 3k and in reality the profit is probably the same because the materials are harder to come by or more expensive to buy so... yeah

And that's going to continue going up and up as long as the token is.
    A million a month is nothing! You're small potatoes. lol!

The only possible way to make semi decent gold on the AH right now is on mid/low pop servers. On high pop servers early in game if you get on professions ahead of most of the population you can make a ton of gold that will sustain you for a long time, but the best way to make gold in this game will always be selling runs or selling very rare vanity items.

That being said, inflation might be bad in a real world economy, but in a make believe economy where scarcity doesn't really exist inflation is in reality keeping poor lazy players afloat, otherwise only the people who made a shit ton of gold in a previous expansion would be able to get by if there were not easy ways for those other players to obtain gold.
    Last edited by Shakou; 2018-02-21 at 08:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stellarus View Post
    A million a month is nothing! You're small potatoes. lol!
    I know I am, I even said so.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakou View Post
    The only possible way to make semi decent gold on the AH right now is on mid/low pop servers. On high pop servers early in game if you get on professions ahead of most of the population you can make a ton of gold that will sustain you for a long time, but the best way to make gold in this game will always be selling runs or selling very rare vanity items.

That being said, inflation might be bad in a real world economy, but in a make believe economy where scarcity doesn't really exist inflation is in reality keeping poor lazy players afloat, otherwise only the people who made a shit ton of gold in a previous expansion would be able to get by if there were not easy ways for those other players to obtain gold.
    You can easily make gold on high pop, the screenshots I posted earlier are from Frostmourne, which is the highest pop OC server, and one of the top US servers;

It's just as easy to make gold in this expansion as it is previous if starting from scratch, all you need to do is get a bit of raw gold to start off which is as easy and picking up a couple of gathering professions selling what you're farming to get enough to start breaking into the market. You need to spend gold to make gold, so the more you have the more you can make - where you can see easily in the screenshot from 100k in a week to 5m in a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post
    Gold has lost almost all meaning in WoW. There's nothing meaningful having a lot of gold can get you because its all cosmetic or leveling crap. You stockpiled millions of gold, what are you going to do with it that will get you a real advantage over someone else?

Sadly this is probably a good thing considering how huge of a disparity there is between playing the AH and actually trying to farm for items to sell. Most don't find the AH or the order hall to be enjoyable at all so they don't bother with it. So when they're making pennies it's a good thing that they only need pennies to get whatever they need.

I'd like to see the economy of older versions of WoW come back, but I think that's impossible at this point.
    Idk about others but for me buying things like the spider, TCG mounts etc.

But the big ones is using gold to buy my CE BFA, game time, Overwatch loot crates, HS expansions etc.
    I usually drop a mil or 2 every Overwatch event and gift some to some close friends as well so they don't waste real money.

Other than that, just enjoy it.

But you're right it doesn't really have much meaning when you have more than you need for just general things you may need (flasks, food, etc.) Doesn't really get you an advantage outside of purchasing high ilvl & price point raid BoEs

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 2about View Post
    so from 1 mill cap to 10 mill, thats 1,000% increase? NGFR.
    From 1 mil to 2 mil is 100%. 1 mil to 3 mil is 200%.

1 mil to 10 mil is actually a 900% increase
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

Quote Originally Posted by Feederino Senpai View Post
    What is gold worth if you're not spending it though? As a fellow Goblin, I rarely even have a million gold on hand at the same time, though several tens of millions on AH across 4 servers.
    If I see something I want, I buy it when I can, knowing more gold will come anyways.

And I do believe the biggest goblins that could afford 100m mounts would buy that shit, just because they can. Think about the youtube views alone from something silly as that, then another bunch of views from a bunch of new "ON MY WAY TO GOLD CAP" series.

- - - Updated - - -

And what on earth would that change?
    They could actually control and monitor it better than they do now. It could change a lot. Would make all the botter gold useless for BFA and it would be just like everyone starting over on the currency front. Nobody has it people actually barter with sales instead of 100s of auctions 1c lower. I've wanted it for a long time. Actually wish they would cut everyone's gold in half but a new currency just for BFA and onward is no different than going back to vanilla days. All depends on how they balance it.
    "I'm Tru @ w/e I do" ~ TM

Deleted
    they should just delete 99% of all the gold from the game so that people who actually have lives can catch up

Quote Originally Posted by m4xc4v413r4 View Post
    Inflation is good in a way playing the game now allows you to earn more gold in comparison to the power of stockpiling. It means a person can catch up easier and the value of stockpiling years ago is diminished. 10k gold vendor price items a.k.a goldsinks everyone asks for - yes these might be an issue, like people getting annoyed in the past they can't afford flying. 10k item on the AH? Who said you should be the buyer? You should be a seller. There were always tons of clueless people who cried linen cloth or peacebloom are too expensive and how they're gonna level their professions. The answer was always the same: don't level these useless professions. Get gathering and sell stuff. Get some starting gold. High price of mats helps you not hinders you. Only when you're ready to invest, have a clue how to make gold out of crafting - only then bother with crafting professions.

That kind of advice is 10+ years old. Yet people always had wrong ideas like "level crafting professions to craft your own gear" or "buy greens from AH every few levels to regear your toon", no wonder they ended up poor. I remember when I started playing SWTOR, I had no idea about their economy, all I knew was how stuff worked in WOW. And I used the same principle - double gathering and sell stuff. I had more gold than I really needed. I don't know how they're now, they kinda went downhill and I stopped playing it after they went freemium with more and more cash shop emphasis.

If flying cost 5k gold the more expensive are mats, the quicker it is to farm your way towards that goal. I remember when I started playing, I couldn't afford my mount and I had to fish for hours to get enough value to pay the "goldsink". Nowadays it's much easier to people to buy a mount, flying skill, heirlooms and so forth. There's ton of knowledge and easy ways to make quick buck, because even simple things can sell for quite a sum. For some weird reason people don't do it. People farmed cata raids for "raw gold" and cried when it got nerfed, when they could be mining ghost iron as it only rose in price. Unless you're in deader than dead server, I don't get people's aversion to sell stuff. I've sold things I considered useless like some item that gives you 500 nethershards or some fishing lure. And people pay for this crap. People pay 50x the vendor price for pets you buy in the starting area. Not even rare drop pets, goddamn unlimited supply easy to access vendor pets. There's no reason a "new player" wouldn't be amazed at plethora of ways to make easy gold to pay off all his necessities.

Quote Originally Posted by kankeroo View Post
    they should just delete 99% of all the gold from the game so that people who actually have lives can catch up
    If you spent time "catching up" you'd actually have gold. That's what inflation ensures - making gold is easier every expansion passing. You earn more gold for the same activities. Deleting all gold from the game means only 1 thing - people who have skills and knowledge get rich again, and poor stay even poorer because they have no clue where the easy gold lies or are too lazy to go pick it up. "Having a life" doesn't prevent one from posting auctions every few days, doing some emissary caches or sending some gold missions. Unless "have a life" means again "hey guys I unsubbed a year ago and now I'm jealous people actually got something out of their 12 months of sub and playtime, why doesn't Blizzard send me an equivalent to my mailbox or at least delete it from them". It's not enough that all gear progress is reset every expansion? People now want gold squish, level squish, achievement squish and whatnot because hey that guy played casually for 10 years, how dare he accumulated something during that playtime, everyone should have everything for free, or no one should have anything and everything should be deleted from other players. Gosh glad some of you aren't game devs.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IronCorvus View Post
    blame the garison.. and the verious mission tables...
    people had gold cap account wide (50 charrecters) since wotlk maybe even some in vanilla and bc
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    people had gold cap account wide (50 charrecters) since wotlk maybe even some in vanilla and bc
    Lots of people got gold cap in vanilla thanks to the AQ war effort.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iamthedevil View Post
    thanks, i wasent quite sure if anyone did, i knew some got lots, but never knew if people hit cap.
    but i did know that the war effort made LOTS of people gold.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    lol I think you need to learn the definition of "lots". Because only a very select few people ever got alot of gold. The current gold inflation is directly a result of garrisons and order halls, this isn't even remotely debateable. I myself have more gold right now than almost everyone you have ever known in vanilla wow
    Sylvaeres-Azkial-Pailerth @Proudmoore

Back in vanilla goldcap was 262144 gold or 2^18 gold. So much less than now. I'd still imagine in vanilla it wasn't easy to get there. It started being easy to reach it in wotlk and then goldcap was raised to 1 million because of it. Then it got raised to 10 mil in legion.

Or you can not be lazy and farm the gold?! HELLO? People like you are the reason why there's welfare in the real world because all you do is cry about how poor you are. You choose the life you live. No one makes it for you.

Insinuating that making gold is a large time sink, it's really not much effort just takes a little knowledge, addons(if you wish) and patience.

Which the information to do so is out there to read through to learn the basics if you so desire. I have all my bank toons on my second account which my gold making covers, this among many other things means i'm free to just play my main and do whatever even while my post scans are running to list all the items in my inventory so even the relisting time is essentially reduced to a minute or 2 for 500 auctions.

If you think there's something that will take a long time with AHing, you can bet there's probably an addon or more accurate would be a feature in TSM that streamlines it.

As much as I support a gold removal/% drop, gold is basically meaningless over 1 mil. Like, you can't spend it on anything.

If theres no mission table analog in BFA then the main source will be world quests and killing the table alone will tank gold generation across the game.

There are days I dont even log in (atleast 3 days a week), but I can place some followers on gold missions from phone app while I am sitting in the bathroom. Takes like 2 mins.
    You're not special, most of ppl here have lives, family, work, etc.