Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Sourcewatch; Monsanto
    I'll stick to my organic stuff as often as I can.
    How is anyone supposed to take this seriously with this picture slapped on the top of the page:
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Join me in boycotting any product that advertises itself as being "GMO Free"

Pisses me off to no end....

Quote Originally Posted by Najnaj View Post

If I go to the market and the only blueberries they're selling are in boxes labeled "GMO Free", then I'm going to buy them because as dumb as it is, I'm not there to make a statement.

I'm there to get some blueberries.
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Najnaj View Post

100% GMO Free!

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    I think cultured meat on a industrial scale will be the only viable solution to having meat without obliterating our resources and the ecosystems of the world.
    I'm interested to see the future of cultured meat. Personally, I think before that ever happens we'll simply turn more towards a future of eating less meat in general, with plans developed by leading government agencies to make sure our crop yields are efficient and energy-saving as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    How is anyone supposed to take this seriously with this picture slapped on the top of the page:
    Haha, that pic is amazing. I guess Monsanto now has fire resistant crops so we can nuke those pests away.

Don't get me wrong, Monsanto has a fair bit of questionable practices alongside Walmart and McD but the insane exaggerations that come every time on of the "unholy trinity" is mentioned is just amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Laerrus View Post
    Corn isn't actually the healthiest grain though. We use it to quickly fatten up livestock.
    And people wonder why Americans (at least) are so damn fat. Besides the lack of excerise, corn syrup is in EVERYTHING (pretty much).

Also, usually when people say "GMO", they aren't talking about selective breeding being done to make something more hardy. They are talking about manipulating the genetics of something in a lab to make it resistant to viruses or produce more corn.

Deliberately misinterpreting that pic...is fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    Also, usually when people say "GMO", they aren't talking about selective breeding being done to make something more hardy. They are talking about manipulating the genetics of something in a lab to make it resistant to viruses or produce more corn.
    For example, they're talking about silencing individual genes by specific directed mutation, vs. shotgun mutation with gamma radiation.

Except they're ok with the latter but not the former.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

My problem with GMO remains the same, long term studies are still open ended, but more importantly if issues do come up just like lead, oil, tobacco Companies like Monsanto beyond their disgusting business practices they currently deal in, they would put profit above all and bury research and attempts to spread the word of the dangers, let alone lobby any legislation that would cut into their bottom line.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Deliberately misinterpreting that pic...is fascinating.
    In which simply posting a picture is misinterpreting it.

On that page, the picture had no caption at all. You don't even know that it's a link unless you hover your mouse over it. It's nonsensical clickbait in picture form.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    My problem with GMO remains the same, long term studies are still open ended, but more importantly if issues do come up just like lead, oil, tobacco Companies like Monsanto beyond their disgusting business practices they currently deal in, they would put profit above all and bury research and attempts to spread the word of the dangers, let alone lobby any legislation that would cut into their bottom line.

None of your objections there have any rational basis.

There is no good reason to think GMOs will have effects that will show up in long term studies. Moreover, literally trillions of meals of GMOs have been fed to livestock with no detectable ill effects; what more testing do you think is needed? What you really have there is passive-aggressive way of pretending to be objective while asking the other side to prove a negative.

As for Monsanto... the stories about it are so overblown that when I see someone trot them out again, it's very strong evidence that that person has no internal filter against believing bullshit.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler

To speak to the thread title, it doesn't find anything of the sort. It finds benefits regarding growth requirements and yield and nothing regarding how good it is for us. To make such a statement means requires relativity regarding what isn't and isn't good. Which begs the question, it's good for us in what context? The unspoken context of food being good for us is often means whether it is or isn't a healthy food source. Clearly that's not the case as what you quoted doesn't speak on that topic at all aside from vague meaningless statements and hand waving away scientifically legitimate questions, at least not from the content you quoted.

On the topic in general, I see nothing wrong with GMO's if done with care, if regulated, and if data in question on said GMO's isn't restricted to the hands of people who have a financial incentive for us to consume/use the product. We know, through an uncountable number of demonstrations of greed by both public and private sector entities, that they are more than happy to do knowing harm to people than to do something financially destabilizing. Such concern is entirely warranted. Caution isn't a bad thing. Baseless fear that drives many of the GMO hating crowd, however, isn't productive either.

Quote Originally Posted by niil945 View Post
    To speak to the thread title, it doesn't find anything of the sort. It finds benefits regarding growth requirements and yield and nothing regarding how good it is for us.
    They also found that GM corn crops had significantly fewer (up to 36.5 percent less, depending on the species) mycotoxins — toxic chemical byproducts of crop colonization.
    Please don't lie.

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    That is one of the weakest arguments from people. Don't conflate selective breeding with literally shooting foreign DNA into another objects DNA. We have not been doing that for centuries.

Saying that I acknowledge there have been no short term affects from GMO's, where I'm concerned is Monsato business practice and the long term affects 50 to 60 years down the road.
    Is the same thing in the end, we modify the crops we want the way we want. The only difference is that is a lot faster now. The problem is that people equate Monsanto and its shitty business practices to GMO's

Quote Originally Posted by Jofe View Post
    The problem is that people equate Monsanto and its shitty business practices to GMO's
    No, the problem is they lie about Monsanto's business practices, and use those lies to smear GMOs.

Fine print: This message brought to you by Monsanto.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    Society has already proven that GMOs are perfectly safe. People have been eating modified foods for some time, nothing to show that they are in anyway dangerous or unhealthy.

A youtuber (forgot his name) said something that I completely agree with: Go organic/natural all you want, that's fine. But don't start touting that defying nature is bad and unhealthy. We defy nature everyday with advances to medicine and also food production. Having yourself and kids vaccinated defies nature and many other ways we give it the finger helps improve our QoL and average lifespan.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Corn is bad for you it’s starchy sugar

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    No, the problem is they lie about Monsanto's business practices, and use those lies to smear GMOs.
    I keep forgetting how stellar their track record of business practices is, especially when dealing with PCB's and dioxin cleanup.