Page 1 of 21
... LastLast
    Deleted

dating preferences are bad?

why do people say dating preferences are bad? if someone say they dont want to date a fat girl then people attack them saying they should stop to be so shallow, if they dont want to date someone because they dont have a lot of money they are called a gold digger, if they dont want to date someone because of height they are called shallow, if they dont want to date white/black/asian people they call them racist.

why? cant people have dating preferences without others attacking them???

10+ Year Old Account
    Social media created social media activism, what in short means people fighting for anything and opposing anything that someone might find offensive somehow.

The real question is not why people get on your case about it, the question is why you care so much about it if they do, let me guess social media backlash...

Because people are stupid. If someone feels hurt or excluded by your preferences people think you are a bad person.

Whatever gives you a woody is giving you a woody.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

People can't have any preferences without someone attacking them, have you read any internet discourse ever?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Dream View Post
    why do people say dating preferences are bad? if someone say they dont want to date a fat girl then people attack them saying they should stop to be so shallow, if they dont want to date someone because they dont have a lot of money they are called a gold digger, if they dont want to date someone because of height they are called shallow, if they dont want to date white/black/asian people they call them racist.

Why would they be attacked for not wanting to date an overweight girl. Isn`t that human nature.

As for your other examples, they`re obviously racist if they are excluding multiple races like that.

SJW vs smart people. Nothing new.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennis View Post
    As for your other examples, they`re obviously racist if they are excluding multiple races like that.
    Fuck off. There's nothing racist about not finding someone attractive because of how they look.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why are you advertising your dating preferences in a public location for people to comment on?

Most people have preferences, it's natural. But for the most part, they keep that between them and the people they choose to date. It's not racist to not be sexually attracted to black people (for example), but it probably is if you're going around the internet telling everyone who will listen how you won't date black people. If you think it's something to brag about, then you really can't complain if people take exception to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would they be attacked for not wanting to date an overweight girl. Isn`t that human nature.
    Considering beauty standards regarding weight have varied by time and culture, no.

The reason people get attacked is mostly because they frame their 'preferences' in language like 'fat people are ugly', or they base their beauty standards off something unrealistic or actively harmful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

No, they are not racist. Nothing in his post said anything about hating a race, he's only saying people have preferences and races get into that inevitably. People can be more attracted to a race without hating other races, it's called being neutral towards something, which is natural and not racist by any stretch of the imagination.

Don't knock it till you try it, within reason.

Guess it depends on the specific context; but they're not wrong. You just have to worry about how much that bothers you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

They're only bad if you say something bad about a minority or a woman.

Women only wanting dudes with money or over a certain height is just fine.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    No, they aren't.

Bad is feeling/being forced to date someone you are not attracted to, just because someone might get offended by your preferences.

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Because some people like judging others and like feeling superior or virtue signal.

With that said it is all in how you approach it... personally as I've gotten older, my "taste" has broadened... I like all races, and most shapes and sizes (so far as it's within the "healthy" range). But how that comes out sometimes on dating sites, especially on Grindr/Tinder does tend be racist... using something like I don't like XXX and the XXX is a slur, is racist no matter what your actual intentions may be.

I look more at personality, or how the person presents themselves versus their race... but then again I've not gone on a date since 2010 (I'm married), so things may have changed.
    Saying "I don't like XXX" can indeed look racist. They should just say "I prefer YYY" instead, so there's no negativity thrown at a specific group of people.

The people who claim that dating preferences are "discriminatory, racist, or wrong." These tend to come from the most unlovable, unattractive, and venomous people. This always reminds me of Riley J Dennis, that one feminist youtuber who pushes this dogma. To be honest, I can see why people wouldn't want to date Riley.
    [Insert Infraction Here]

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Player Twelve View Post
    Fuck off. There's nothing racist about not finding someone attractive because of how they look.
    Cmon dude. If you`re like `No blacks, no japanese, no koreans, no Fillipinos, no mexicans`etc etc...that`s racist.

The only people saying that, are the ones that get rejected often.

10+ Year Old Account

Well in your case probably because you break a lot of hearts.

But overall, it's for the same reason people react to anything else. If you aren't exactly what everyone else expect you'll be, or live up to their expectations of what you want, then obviously they are going to judge you.

Just as you judge others.

However having preferences in your dating life I would say is perfectly acceptable, your social and romantic interest should be totally free for you to discriminate.