Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    You know what, I'm not going to disparage General Kelly's abilities. Trump is probably right in that most people wouldn't attack a school where they know General Kelly is packing a gun as the history teacher. The question is, can General Kelly be the history teacher at every single school across the entire United States? Because I don't think he has the time for that.

The 'Arm the Teachers' crowd seems to have forgotten the lesson from WW1, where we found out that a decent percentage of the military simply couldn't fire upon the enemy. People argue over the exact percentages, so I won't quote any of the common numbers, but it was a well known thing. That's one of the biggest reasons that the US military switched to volunteers, because it gets them people who can actually be trained to kill enemies vs drafting and wasting resources on tons of people who can't. Teachers /aren't/ Marines. And giving guns to people who can't use them when it matters is a terrible idea.
    As to the first paragraph, Gen. Kelly might be fine at defending the school, but he would be a horrible history teacher. And Donald Trump's version of history class as "teaching them how to win wars" is not all of history there is to cover. I also doubt he wants the pay cut.

As to the second point, you are absolutely correct. In combat the vast majority of casualties are caused by weapons without direct line of sight to the enemy, and crew served (Heavy) weaponry. Although everyone wants to talk up the infantry and tanks (Including me, having done both), historically Artillery has caused 60% or more of the casualties in every war America has ever fought. When combat starts, if you weren't the one initiating, the first instinct is always to take cover, and figure out what is going on before doing anything. We had to train constant to deal with Green on Blue (Which is when "Friendly" allied troops open fire on you, because they have been infiltrated by the terrorists), and it takes a ridiculous amount of training to break that habit. You are trying to override a basic human function, and it isn't easy. Kelly has had some of that training, which is why I think he would be better prepared then most to handle it, but we will never get teachers there, and shouldn't waste the effort trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    But this being 20+ years after the first wave that caused the ESRB and 10+ years after the whole Grand Theft Auto craze, at least when it came to blaming them for violence. At this point Trump might as well be blaming radio shows and Elvis with his swinging hips.

In 2015, the American Psychological Association released a review that indicated that violent video games caused aggressive behavior. That same study found inefficient evidence between such games and crime.

With that said, below are the “Top 10 violet crimes tied to video games” as claimed by this source.
    http://listverse.com/2017/10/28/top-...o-video-games/

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    As to the first paragraph, Gen. Kelly might be fine at defending the school, but he would be a horrible history teacher. And Donald Trump's version of history class as "teaching them how to win wars" is not all of history there is to cover. I also doubt he wants the pay cut.

As to the second point, you are absolutely correct. In combat the vast majority of casualties are caused by weapons without direct line of sight to the enemy, and crew served (Heavy) weaponry. Although everyone wants to talk up the infantry and tanks (Including me, having done both), historically Artillery has caused 60% or more of the casualties in every war America has ever fought. When combat starts, if you weren't the one initiating, the first instinct is always to take cover, and figure out what is going on before doing anything. We had to train constant to deal with Green on Blue (Which is when "Friendly" allied troops open fire on you, because they have been infiltrated by the terrorists), and it takes a ridiculous amount of training to break that habit. You are trying to override a basic human function, and it isn't easy. Kelly has had some of that training, which is why I think he would be better prepared then most to handle it, but we will never get teachers there, and shouldn't waste the effort trying.
    It's truly surreal for anyone outside the US that you even have to explain this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    In 2015, the American Psychological Association released a review that indicated that violent video games caused aggressive behavior. That same study found inefficient evidence between such games and crime.

With that said, below are the “Top 10 violet crimes tied to video games” as claimed by this source.
    http://listverse.com/2017/10/28/top-...o-video-games/

Peace
    You mean the same study that the APA noted that there was insufficient evidence to link this kind of exposure to criminal violence, delinquency, or physiological and neurological changes. That same one?

These kinds of shootings are not "increased aggression" there are deeper issues with each of those people in that top 10 listing you posted. Increased aggression is more likely that you flip out at small things, by yelling or being more worked up than you probably should be, not suddenly grab a gun and shoot up a populated building.

I'm only going to base my argument on your source, as I really don't feel like looking up 10 different cases and debating each one perfectly.

#10 & #8 is just kids being fucking stupid kids. Kids get stupid ideas from almost anything, ranging from actual people to video games to fucking Slenderman.
    #9 & #6 are clear addiction cases, and probably bad parenting. People freak when that happens, hell all of us as kids freaked when something was taken away, but to a far smaller degree. Games themselves didn't cause them to do this, they had an addiction. My uncle is an alcoholic and has attacked people that wouldn't give him booze or money for booze, I'm not going to blame the alcohol for it, unless he is drunk, but blame him as it's his fault for getting addicted.
    #7 is just "believed" to be caused by the game, with no real link to it. Not to mention this guy was physically and mentally abused. The game itself did not make him do it, he clearly had other problems.
    #5 is another case of someone with a ton of issues before video games. Foster care, sexually abused, bullied constantly, and then two people manipulated him saying that learning to shoot people would make him famous. The kid says it was DOOM that did it, but I've played DOOM and no it doesn't make you do that. Again, the game itself is not the root cause, but various abuses throughout life.
    #4 is another case of them believing it was a game that did it, at least based on your source. The kid played it, but that doesn't mean the game caused him to do what he did. This is a case where the kid didn't seem to have anything wrong with him.
    #3 is a case that might show video games were the cause, but he seemed rather unwell when he would only communicate to his mother through e-mail and researched school shootings. This kid was not so clearly insane at a glance, but in hindsight you can tell he is unwell, but that doesn't prove the games did it.
    #2 with only what your source says it's hard to say what their issues were, if they had any. This is the most famous one and I can't remember the exact details of as to why.
    #1 this man was clearly already having problems. He was afraid of "Islamization" of his country and in that fear his anger showed through the most, but your source says he played World of Warcraft to relax while Call of Duty was "training". Your own source shows that games themselves are not necessarily the true cause as one game wasn't for training, but the other one was. This man was having far more issues than just video games.

Every person is going to snap for any number of reasons, but video games themselves are not the root cause of them. People are far too complicated to blame a single source. That doesn't mean some people don't get affected by games solely, but for most it's not as simple as saying "Yep, it was the game that did it, video games are evil."

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

Many things increase aggression, like competitive sports.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AndaliteBandit View Post
    Heh, Trade chat is having a meltdown. It's beautiful.
    When is it not having a meltdown?

Bet it's better than murloc spam.
    Putin khuliyo

You mean the same study that the APA noted that there was insufficient evidence to link this kind of exposure to criminal violence, delinquency, or physiological and neurological changes. That same one?

These kinds of shootings are not "increased aggression" there are deeper issues with each of those people in that top 10 listing you posted. Increased aggression is more likely that you flip out at small things, by yelling or being more worked up than you probably should be, not suddenly grab a gun and shoot up a populated building.

I'm only going to base my argument on your source, as I really don't feel like looking up 10 different cases and debating each one perfectly.

#10 & #8 is just kids being fucking stupid kids. Kids get stupid ideas from almost anything, ranging from actual people to video games to fucking Slenderman.
    #9 & #6 are clear addiction cases, and probably bad parenting. People freak when that happens, hell all of us as kids freaked when something was taken away, but to a far smaller degree. Games themselves didn't cause them to do this, they had an addiction. My uncle is an alcoholic and has attacked people that wouldn't give him booze or money for booze, I'm not going to blame the alcohol for it, unless he is drunk, but blame him as it's his fault for getting addicted.
    #7 is just "believed" to be caused by the game, with no real link to it. Not to mention this guy was physically and mentally abused. The game itself did not make him do it, he clearly had other problems.
    #5 is another case of someone with a ton of issues before video games. Foster care, sexually abused, bullied constantly, and then two people manipulated him saying that learning to shoot people would make him famous. The kid says it was DOOM that did it, but I've played DOOM and no it doesn't make you do that. Again, the game itself is not the root cause, but various abuses throughout life.
    #4 is another case of them believing it was a game that did it, at least based on your source. The kid played it, but that doesn't mean the game caused him to do what he did. This is a case where the kid didn't seem to have anything wrong with him.
    #3 is a case that might show video games were the cause, but he seemed rather unwell when he would only communicate to his mother through e-mail and researched school shootings. This kid was not so clearly insane at a glance, but in hindsight you can tell he is unwell, but that doesn't prove the games did it.
    #2 with only what your source says it's hard to say what their issues were, if they had any. This is the most famous one and I can't remember the exact details of as to why.
    #1 this man was clearly already having problems. He was afraid of "Islamization" of his country and in that fear his anger showed through the most, but your source says he played World of Warcraft to relax while Call of Duty was "training". Your own source shows that games themselves are not necessarily the true cause as one game wasn't for training, but the other one was. This man was having far more issues than just video games.

Every person is going to snap for any number of reasons, but video games themselves are not the root cause of them. People are far too complicated to blame a single source. That doesn't mean some people don't get affected by games solely, but for most it's not as simple as saying "Yep, it was the game that did it, video games are evil."
    I am “flipping out” over anything my friend. I simply said this isn’t this isn’t the first time someone has claimed it in my initial post. And that link proves that.

Peace

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    I am “flipping out” over anything my friend. I simply said this isn’t this isn’t the first time someone has claimed it in my initial post. And that link proves that.

Peace
    Thats not healthy

Have a wonderful day!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Sarcasm...

Really? You don’t think video games are violent? Let’s test this theory...

@breadisfunny Blizzard just announced that Draenei are the new mascots of WoW. Every race will now have a sub race to be a Draenei. What does this make you want to do?
    purge all draenei.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Draenei master race. Elves are shit. Alleria is a human loving, tentacle fucking whore.
    draenei are nothing more than light brites. i hope the orcs burn down the exodar next. then i came have myself some deep fried calamari. and alleria is a DIVINE ELF. the prettiest elf in all the land!
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2018-03-01 at 03:10 AM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...a-unaware.aspx

So that meeting the White House has set up with industry leaders? News to the ESA, who represents all the big players in the industry.

White House is again announcing shit involving other parties who can easily check the fuck out of the White House on their bullshit. Why is this administration so fucking bad at like...everything?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvaliz View Post
    Dumbass Dump: “I don’t get it. What does “Ceetma” mean? Is that the name of the Deep State group hiding Hillary’s emails!?”
    I'll take some CEETMA flavored COVFEFE
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Why is this administration so fucking bad at like...everything?
    You already know the answer to that.

Why do older people insist on fighting a losing culture war?

I bet these people
    http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...202674159.html

http://www.mcall.com/opinion/letters...301-story.html

The times are a changing! A woman who was a popular blonde cheerleader at my High School a couple of decades ago just tweeted how happy she was when Marvel gave us two movies featuring badass warrior women. Thor Ragnarok and Black Panther!

Do the conservatives insist on fighting a losing culture war? You can't stop the future! the 1990s called! They want their moral panic back! And you won't get the 50s back!

I guess now all those anti-gaming 'journalists' get to side with Trump to destroy the very industry they rely on for employment.
    It became clear that it wasn’t realistic to try to get the audience back to being more hardcore, as it had been in the past. -- Tom Chilton

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blayze View Post
    I guess now all those anti-gaming 'journalists' get to side with Trump to destroy the very industry they rely on for employment.
    None of them suggested taking guns without due process. This isn’t something journalists were asking for. This is something Trump suggested... if you have a problem, that’s your target... wtf?

What anti-gaming journalists? The faminists in gamer gate? No buddy, they were not blaming video games on mass murder and do not have the judicial power of the president.
    Last edited by Felya; 2018-03-02 at 11:40 PM.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    This is still happening. Meeting Thursday.

Granted, the way Trump seems to run policy is whoever talked to him last, so, expect a tariff on Japanese games and a wall between us and the Borderlands.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This is still happening. Meeting Thursday.

Granted, the way Trump seems to run policy is whoever talked to him last, so, expect a tariff on Japanese games and a wall between us and the Borderlands.
    What will Mario do without the ability to ingest all of those mushrooms here in America?

10+ Year Old Account
    What will Mario do without the ability to ingest all of those mushrooms here in America?
    When mushrooms are made illegal, only criminals will have mushrooms.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    When mushrooms are made illegal, only criminals will have mushrooms.
    Only a good guy with a mushroom/fire flower could stop a bad guy with a mushroom.