Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TirionFordring View Post
    What are you shooting that needs more than a .222 or a 12 Gauge? An elephant?
    How much difference is there between a .222 and .223 ( which is the same basic round as the 5.56mm NATO )? Several hunters like using the AR-15 for hunting wild hogs. Can you kill one with a .22? Sure. But why not use a round which can more easily, quickly dispatch them and cause less suffering?

Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    That just means the assault weapons ban didn't go far enough, and whatever new policy we put into place is probably going to cover pretty much all semi-automatic rifles. I'll take my chances with someone trying to shoot up a school with a bolt-action rifle.
    So stop calling for an assault weapons ban, and call for a semiautomatic rifles ban.

- - - Updated - - -

White-tailed deer? Caribou? Elk? Moose? Bear?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

7+ Year Old Account
    The .222 is a "varmint" weapon. Anything larger (deer, etc) would require a precise shot at close-to-medium range. The primary reason people use larger weapons for larger animals, aside from what I just mentioned, is that with a small-caliber rifle like a .222, it requires a clear line of side between you and the target. If you or your prey is hiding in a thicket, etc, you run the risk of foliage, etc, screwing up your shot if not outright causing the bullet to disintegrate. Not to mention the "humane" factor. A quicker kill is always more humane. I'm not saying it can't or hasn't been done, but most people just don't. Arguing that larger caliber hunting rifles/ammunition should be illegal is an effort in futility, not to mention plain silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Antiganon View Post
    So stop calling for an assault weapons ban, and call for a semiautomatic rifles ban.
    That's not going to happen. There's nothing inherently wrong with semi-automatic weapons. You'd be better off focusing on something that can't be rationally argued down, like magazine size or rate limiters to prevent "bump-firing".
    Last edited by Mistame; 2018-02-26 at 06:38 PM.

Better yet, what are they shooting at that needs 30 rounds of any caliber? I've heard people complaining about the need to reload after four or five shots, and I'm drawing a blank on any of the local wildlife needing that many holes punched in it.

See this is what I mean. You know what the guy is talking about when he says "assault weapons" but you're nit-picking the terminology. It's terribly unfortunate too, considering how infamous legal weapons like the AR-15 are becoming due to mass shootings like in Parkland.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Z-Man View Post
    Better yet, what are they shooting at that needs 30 rounds of any caliber? I've heard people complaining about the need to reload after four or five shots, and I'm drawing a blank on any of the local wildlife needing that many holes punched in it.
    I see no problem with restrictions on high-capacity magazines (> 10 rounds). There is no rational reason for a civilian to have a 30-round magazine for any weapon. People spend so much time arguing over the AR-15 because it looks scary when there's other, actual valid arguments to make.

10+ Year Old Account
    TLDR, just ban full auto
    They are already.

and high powered rifles
    Definition plz?

limit amount of ammo someone can purchase
    How much?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Just copy Canada's gun laws and work from there.

Quote Originally Posted by igualitarist View Post
    i don't know why gun control threads are allowed, but gender/religion/whatever aren't...

I mean, i think all kinds of threads should be allowed, i just can't understand the criteria used to estabilish a certain polemical/political thread is allowed, while another polemical/political thread is forbidden.

It makes me think thats because the left wing moderators here don't want to see those subjects being debated here, while, on the other hand, they want to see gun control being constantly debated.
    The gender/religion issues often end up with people being extremely offended by things that are not offending. The gun subject is less personnal so it's easier to manage and to stay civil about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    What are canada's laws exactly?

As far as I know the only difference is that they have greater restrictions which are largely theatrical, and not much different. No Bullpup weapons. Keep your guns locked up. Certain ammo is restricted. No conceal carry weapons or short/shortened barrels. 10 round max per magazine.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    What are canada's laws exactly?

As far as I know the only difference is that they have greater restrictions which are largely theatrical, and not much different. No Bullpup weapons. Keep your guns locked up. Certain ammo is restricted. No conceal carry weapons or short/shortened barrels. 10 round max per magazine.
    http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/index-eng.htm

10+ Year Old Account
    The only big difference I'm seeing for most people is that a training course is needed, and registration renewal every 5 years. That seems entirely doable. Difficult to manage for hundreds of millions here, but certainly doable.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    How many threads do we need about guns?
    I think I will make one since you asked.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    I bet people are glad that you clarified and defined what they die to when some asshole randomly shoots them.....
    FTFY

(my first time ever fixing something)
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

Quote Originally Posted by Sormine View Post
    See this is what I mean. You know what the guy is talking about when he says "assault weapons" but you're nit-picking the terminology. It's terribly unfortunate too, considering how infamous legal weapons like the AR-15 are becoming due to mass shootings like in Parkland.
    Laws are MADE of terminology.

You need to define terms in law for the law to have any effect. If you want to ban semiautomatic rifles, bad semiautomatic rifles. If you want to ban large magazines, ban large magazines. Trying to ban "assault weapons" raises the issue of "well how do you define assault weapon?"

That is an unnecessary point of contention, when people could just take 10 minutes on Google to learn the bare minimum of what they are talking about, then ban the actual thing that they want banned.

Hell, the kids in Parkland called for a ban on high powered semiautomatic rifles.

If you can't be as specific or informed as a high schooler you have no business taking part in this debate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hell, the kids in Parkland called for a ban on high powered semiautomatic rifles.

If you can't be as specific or informed as a high schooler you have no business taking part in this debate.
    Even "high powered" is vague, honestly.

10+ Year Old Account
    I could see your logic if Canada had the same right in it's Constitution as we do here. Namely a Second Amendment. But then it would not have that right to begin with if you banned the right to carry a firearm for self defense. So you would be violating your own Constitution if that were true.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    The only big difference I'm seeing for most people is that a training course is needed, and registration renewal every 5 years. That seems entirely doable. Difficult to manage for hundreds of millions here, but certainly doable.
    Maybe if we started with all new gun purchases. Of the 300+ million out there now? Never happen.

Also, how does one get the permission to carry concealed, a handgun up there?
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2018-02-26 at 11:24 PM.

Probably at least one less than we have, but I didn't want to repost this in every gun thread, only for it to get lost, and have zero impact.
    What is this doing under General Off-Topic, it belongs under Sports and Fitness, because shooting at a range is a sport.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    What is this doing under General Off-Topic, it belongs under Sports and Fitness, because shooting at a range is a sport.
    It is also a hobby. It can be a sport if you compete in events or do sport hunting. Same as sport fishing usually refers to fishing in a event, tournament, etc. Now if you said this should be under the large Gun Control thread, then you would have a point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also, how does one get the permission to carry concealed, a handgun up there?
    You don't, period. Unless your job requires it in some fashion.

Even shortened weapons to make easier to carry/conceal are prohibited. Snub nose pistols, bullpup rifles, shortened barrels, etc. Just like you can't carry a knife over a certain length in public, you can't carry a gun under a certain length.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    How many threads do we need about guns?
    All of them, until the shootings are at least reduced in number. Learn or die, literally.