Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Syrian women forced to trade sex for aid

Here we go again:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...avours-un-aid/

Women in refugee camps in Syria have been forced to offer sexual favours in return for aid from the United Nations, a report has found, in the latest accusation to hit the sector.

Aid workers would allegedly regularly harass and abuse women and girls trying to access humanitarian assistance in the war-torn country, to the point that some stopped asking.

Some victims were allegedly forced to marry locally-hired officials working for the UN and other international charities for “sexual services” in order to receive meals.
    Kind of puts the whole #MeToo movement into perspective doesn't it? I look forward to the legions of feminists marching in the streets around the world in solidarity for the plight these poor women are going through. Perhaps the feminists on this forum can explain to the rest of us the deafening silence.

The UN is beyond useless, not only is it just a slush fund for bureaucrats, but now it appears to be nothing more than a prostitution ring. Will anyone be arrested for these atrocities? Will anyone even get fired? Will anyone from the left even care because it's not Trumps fault?

Examples were given of women or girls marrying officials for a short period of time for “sexual services” in order to receive meals; distributors asking for telephone numbers of women and girls; obtaining distributions in exchange for a visit to her home or “in exchange for services, such as spending a night with them".

The teenage girl, whose identity has been protected, said some women had given up asking for aid for fear they would have to pay with their bodies.
    This is heartbreaking. These women suffer under the one of the most oppressive misogynist religions on the planet, and at the time of their greatest need the UN lets them down. And all this after the Haiti sex for aid scandal. Trump should withdraw all funding to UN immediately.

If you care so much about those women then you would want them to be able to move to a safe place, like your country.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Torto View Post
    Here we go again:

Kind of puts the whole #MeToo movement into perspective doesn't it? I look forward to the legions of feminists marching in the streets around the world in solidarity for the plight these poor women are going through. Perhaps the feminists on this forum can explain to the rest of us the deafening silence.

The UN is beyond useless, not only is it just a slush fund for bureaucrats, but now it appears to be nothing more than a prostitution ring. Will anyone be arrested for these atrocities? Will anyone even get fired? Will anyone from the left even care because it's not Trumps fault?

This is heartbreaking. These women suffer under the one of the most oppressive misogynist religions on the planet, and at the time of their greatest need the UN lets them down. And all this after the Haiti sex for aid scandal. Trump should withdraw all funding to UN immediately.
    I don't understand your point. You find something horrible, where horrible people do horrible things and therefor #metoo is less horrible? Or something? And people who fight for women's rights, equality, against misogyny, etc. are incapable of caring and fighting for other causes? I don't understand.

Is sex not how you give someone AIDS?

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    If you care so much about those women then you would want them to be able to move to a safe place, like your country.
    I would but all the Syrian men took all the refugee spots leaving the women and children behind.
    Last edited by Torto; 2018-02-28 at 01:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here we go again:

Yes, Syrian feminists should really do something about this.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    /Applaud

Well said.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Everywhere aid agencies go they're trading food for sex it seems.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Interesting that neither of the two articles I read on this mentions the nationalities of the UN workers abusing these women. I wonder if it's not known or they don't want to say.

Methinks this is more centered around the people that volunteer within the UN rather than the UN itself as an organization. I know a lot of people enjoy shitting on the UN, but what exactly is the alternative here? The Republicans aren't exactly willing to help them and most of the countries holding the Syrians (Jordan, Lebanon, Turkey) have been (or at least we're) struggling under the weight of so many people fleeing.

Quote Originally Posted by lios View Post
    I don't understand your point. You find something horrible, where horrible people do horrible things and therefor #metoo is less horrible? Or something? And people who fight for women's rights, equality, against misogyny, etc. are incapable of caring and fighting for other causes? I don't understand.
    Jump to the 6 minute mark and you will see where I am coming from:

I don't see your country taking any...

Ontopic tho, this shit should be severely punished, instant detainment and trial.
    Last edited by Sorshen; 2018-02-28 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    Methinks this is more centered around the people that volunteer within the UN rather than the UN itself as an organization. I know a lot of people enjoy shitting on the UN, but what exactly is the alternative here? The Republicans aren't exactly willing to help them and most of the countries holding the Syrians (Jordan, Lebanon, Turkey) have been (or at least we're) struggling under the weight of so many people fleeing.
    But isn't the UN responsible for the volunteers? They are distributing aid under the UN banner. Whether they are volunteers or paid aid workers is sort of immaterial, the UN is responsible for their supervision and their actions.

But isn't the UN responsible for the volunteers? They are distributing aid under the UN banner. Whether they are volunteers or paid aid workers is sort of immaterial, the UN is responsible for their supervision and their actions.
    Oh I agree and they should be punished. I'm talking more about the UN as an organization and these refugees.

Here we go again:

This is the sort of loose associations game and desperate reaching you need to support your crazy right wing ideology.

Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    I don't see your country taking any...

Ontopic tho, this shit should be severely punished, instant detainment and trial.
    I wonder how many rich Middle Eastern countries like Qatar are taking. Oh and if anyone is interested Australia takes more than our fair share.

Interesting that neither of the two articles I read on this mentions the nationalities of the UN workers abusing these women. I wonder if it's not known or they don't want to say.
    "Locally hired officials" leads me to believe they are Syrian.

Also your graph says 95%, so that is less than the fair share.
    Last edited by LMuhlen; 2018-02-28 at 02:11 PM.

So, the OP pushes a story about aid workers sexually abusing women... and he wants to blame feminism?

That has to be one of the dumbest mental links I have ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    So you're coming from a position of pseudo intellectualism?

My psycho analysis of him is that he admires Freud because he genuinely wanted to fuck his mother.

Oh hey this is easy no wonder he does his for a living .
    You're calling others pseudo-intellectuals while making Freud - your mom jokes?

That's hilarious

Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    You're calling others pseudo-intellectuals while making Freud - your mom jokes?

That's hilarious
    I'm pretty sure it is working as intended to show how shallow pseudo-intellectuals are.