Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    A huge amount of care goes into providing good beef, I can understand why good farmers would want different labels for lab grown meat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    Who would of thought that people are trying to protect their job industry. Instead of just rolling over and walking away.
    Yes but so did Blockbuster and we're now better for having them go under. Making meat is very expensive, and very costly to the environment. Animals need a lot more water compared to the plants we grow for food. Animals need a lot more land compared to the plants we eat. The meat needs to be sterilized from harmful chemicals, and given antibiotics to prevent them from getting sick. Hormones to make them grow bigger.

Lab grown meat would be cheaper since it'll need a lot less water, land, and the environment is sterile so no need for antibiotics. For us humans, lab grown meat makes a ton of sense. For the beef industry to try to find ways to label this meat is just their way to stick around as long as they can until they become another Blockbuster.

10+ Year Old Account
    Missed title opportunity.

"Agriculture industry has major beef with lab grown meat."
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

7+ Year Old Account
    Just think, if this pans out successfully, Vegans will go extinct. Its for a great cause.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Ofc I do, I am fortunate to source my meat from a local farm
    Is that the only meat you eat? You don't eat out or at other people's places or anything?

What about as ingredients in other things that you buy?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Is that the only meat you eat? You don't eat out or at other people's places or anything?

What about as ingredients in other things that you buy?
    I don't really eat out for various reasons. What do you mean only meat I eat? You'll need to give me examples of products you mean

Quote Originally Posted by Mekkle View Post
    Just think, if this pans out successfully, Vegans will go extinct. Its for a great cause.
    It might also basically destroy PETA.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    Sorry, what? I mean, seriously. The fuck? That argument is beyond stupid.
    I'm sure it is in your country...
    If lab grown shit doesn't want labels that pretty much says it all; they don't want to compete for what people perceive as the real thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    It might also basically destroy PETA.
    And nothing of value was lost.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I'm sure it is in your country...
    If lab grown shit doesn't want labels that pretty much says it all; they don't want to compete for what people perceive as the real thing.
    Or, because cases like this are generally the result of a major lobbying organisation trying to get something labelled negatively in order to reduce competition.

Meat is meat, whether it's grown in a lab or in the field.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Can't wait for lab-grown meats and other proteins to be the norm.

Then the vegetarians and vegans can have finally won!

....and we can slaughter all of the Cows, Pigs and Chickens to make room for all the new meat factories
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    And nothing of value was lost.

- - - Updated - - -

Or, because cases like this are generally the result of a major lobbying organisation trying to get something labelled negatively in order to reduce competition.

True but a lab grown Lamb Shank or Pork Ribs made in a lab will need to be labelled correctly because it technically isn't a shank or ribs

I don't really eat out for various reasons. What do you mean only meat I eat? You'll need to give me examples of products you mean
    Any product that has meat as an ingredient. Ramen noodles for example. Or bacon flavored chips. Potted meat. Etc.

Deleted
    Any product that has meat as an ingredient. Ramen noodles for example. Or bacon flavored chips. Potted meat. Etc.
    Don't eat those, I don't eat meat flavoured products.

Of course artificial meat should be labelled, as there is no knowing what health risks it can cause.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    Of course artificial meat should be labelled, as there is no knowing what health risks it can cause.
    Significantly fewer than farm grown meat, I'd wager.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Your opinion.
    And it will never sell...at least in the US
    And I can't imagine that the anti-gmo countries...(much of Europe if I remember right) are going to buy into that shit either.
    A lose-lose situation.

Don't eat those, I don't eat meat flavoured products.
    Then WADR, you're a unicorn. There are very, very, very few people who only eat meat from a local farm.

Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    Can't wait for lab-grown meats and other proteins to be the norm.

Then the vegetarians and vegans can have finally won!

....and we can slaughter all of the Cows, Pigs and Chickens to make room for all the new meat factories
    I imagine their populations will decrease as cultured meat slowly overtakes most forms of conventional beef on a massive scale. The rest could be sold as pets or to the few more traditionalist farmers. They could eventually go the way of the horse, kept more for recreation than for filling important roles to humans.

A few cattle breeds might be released and allowed to turn feral in parts of Europe to fill the ecological, grazing niche left behind by aurochs.

Btw, if and when cultured meat advances significantly, I can see more exotic meats being sold in restaurants: great white shark, rhinoceros, giraffe, etc.
    Last edited by Techno-Druid; 2018-02-28 at 07:46 PM.

Deleted
    Then WADR, you're a unicorn. There are very, very, very few people who only eat meat from a local farm.
    That's their business. I take interest in what I eat and where from. That's why I would want lab meat clearly labeled, I will try it but only if it's clearly labelled

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Your opinion.
    You're aware that you can produce the same thing by several different means without changing the end product, right?

And it will never sell...at least in the US
    And I can't imagine that the anti-gmo countries...(much of Europe if I remember right) are going to buy into that shit either.
    A lose-lose situation.
    Good thing climate change may force its adoption as more conventional sources of meat continue to increase in price, then.