Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurata View Post
    When I think "successful countries" I always have the nordics in mind.

These are countries that nail pretty much everything as they rank the highest on all happiness related metrics.

I don't understand why there is such a push from weirdos to demonize that country as the apex of decadence and criminality. It's really not.

Now the type of people saying these we got em too in France but they're a tinyyyy tiny minority most people hold Sweden in high opinion aswell but if you go to mmo champ half the posters (who couldn't even locate it on a map) will tell you it's just a crime filled s hole. Those usually come from places with a dog eat dog mentality where social services/healthcare aren't free and people prefer to strip their peers from their benefits rather than work up the courage demand social justice.

Hang in there swedes, the world loves you
    Can't be jealous of a country I don't think/know/care about.

Edit: The only country I can think about being jealous of is maybe Italy? I hear they only work like 20 hours a week there and get like 3 months of government mandated vacation. I'd like that.
    Last edited by Saverem; 2018-03-01 at 10:38 PM.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by ThrashMetalFtw View Post
    Not sure if trolling or just retarded. Do some research about the Great Northern War. This is basic European history.

They lost to the Russians, while being outnumbered 1 to 4, out of supplies, deep in scorched enemy territory, by a Russia that had been westernizing and modernizing its military for 10 years, 10 years in which Sweden was busy fighting (and winning) in Poland. Ever heard of Peter the Great? He wasn't called "the great" just for fun, but he came quite close to being the one who doomed Russia, as opposed to being the one who made it a massive Great Power.
    No, he has the epithet the Great, cause he kicked your asses.

Besides if Prussia could do it about 50 years later, you really have no excuse other than the fact you can't fight. Like I said earlier Ragnar Lothbrok would be disappointed in you lot. But then again he was from what is now Denmark, wasn't he?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Enfilade View Post
    Which city is that? Genuinely curious.
    That Malmo, or whatever its name is. One of those places people have difficulty placing on a map.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ThrashMetalFtw View Post
    Sweden tried to do this during the 17th century, and were considered a Great Power for about 100 years. How did they do this? By having the most modern, best military in the world. The Swedish Empire controlled Finland and parts of modern Latvia/Estonia/Lithuania, aswell as having territory in northern Germany.

Sweden was highly innovate, super militarized and very aggressive before Prussia made it cool. If anything, 18th century Prussia was just a carbon-copy of 17th century Sweden. Prussia however, didn't border Russia, and that was Swedens downfall. Despite beating Russia, Poland/Lithuania and Denmark at the same time in the Great Northern War in the early 18th century, Sweden had a really small population, about 1mill, while Russia had about 20mill at the same time. This basically meant that once Sweden lost a single decisive battle, they had lost the war, while Russia could afford to simply raise new armies.
    Besides, if Sweden had the most modern best military back then, how come they weren't able to take on the powers with the far flung empires like Britain, France, or Spain?

7+ Year Old Account
    I dont think people are jelous of Sweden, it's just that many foreign countries and uncultured people use it as a reference to go to.

Why are the north european countries so wealthy?

1. You can put all of their people in Tokyo and still have spare homes. (with this i mean all the nordic countries)
    2. High natural resource wealth.
    3. Homogenous population, in terms of ethics and responsibilities(easy to do with so little citizens). Sweden in the recent years however is suffering some inestabilities in that department. You just need to do a quick search and watch that awesome commercial where they suggest Swedes to change their county by adapting themselves to the immigrants instead of the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by Judgedredd View Post
    The most modern best military got beaten by the backwards ass barbarians the Russians?

Not such a modern best military after all.
    Probably the same reason that the US lost in Vietnam, and the same reason that we're slowly losing to the Taliban in Afghanistan?

War is a mess. Just because someone is the most advanced or the most trained, it doesn't mean they'll end up on top.
    Last edited by Rexosaurus; 2018-03-02 at 02:32 PM.

Basically it's a bunch of actual fake news painting successful EU countries as having a plethora of issues to make their own country sound better.

Sweden is doing well. People don't like when things go well if their thing isn't doing well. They're going to try to hold onto any little strand of bunk shitty logic to try and slander them to show that it's not the US's fault that the US is shit because the entire country's political system prides itself on ignoring serious countrywide issues. Ignorant people lap these up and don't fact-check.

Quote Originally Posted by Fifty Snakes View Post
    Are you deflecting instead of addressing any points or arguments? lmfao!

Classic Alinsky-ite tactics, friend. Keep it up.
    It's called source criticism yo.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    Basically it's a bunch of actual fake news painting successful EU countries as having a plethora of issues to make their own country sound better.

Sweden is doing well. People don't like when things go well if their thing isn't doing well. They're going to try to hold onto any little strand of bunk shitty logic to try and slander them to show that it's not the US's fault that the US is shit because the entire country's political system prides itself on ignoring serious countrywide issues. Ignorant people lap these up and don't fact-check.
    Through you can't denial that there is an integration problem with muslim immigrants in many european countries, currently through too many immigrants in a too short timeframe and also a too lax immigration policy as well as a wrong tolerance with rather archaic world views which would be deemed Nazi if native europeans would hold them.

Northern European Countries as well as countries like Germany are running fine currently, but there will be massive problems in the future if they don't implement a more aggressive integration policy, especially since those have higher birth rates and therefore will grow procentually even without outside immigration.I'm from an immigrant family myself and I really think a proper immigration should lead towards assimilation over the course of generations.

Not jealous at all, their politicians seem to be naive beyond what I thought was possible.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SFBayGamer View Post

This is the cancer of Europe: entire continent of people with literally no capacity for moderation. Everything is 10/10 intensity. Maybe that's why US guilds never world first raids and maybe that is a good thing.
    Painting with a pretty broad brush here aren´t you? Maybe US gamers just suck

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Helltrixz View Post
    Not jealous, just irritated. They always know what's best for everyone else and they try their hardest to export their "success". Bugger off, you can do whatever you want in Sweden, but don't force us to follow your stupidity. It's creepy.
    Can you give an example of us forcing anything on anyone ?
    Or is it your own people that look at us as an example and then try to implement with retardation and no chance for success ?

Besides if Prussia could do it about 50 years later, you really have no excuse other than the fact you can't fight. Like I said earlier Ragnar Lothbrok would be disappointed in you lot. But then again he was from what is now Denmark, wasn't he?

- - - Updated - - -

That Malmo, or whatever its name is. One of those places people have difficulty placing on a map.

- - - Updated - - -

Besides, if Sweden had the most modern best military back then, how come they weren't able to take on the powers with the far flung empires like Britain, France, or Spain?
    Sweden won the 30 year war against Spain and the biggest one of them all, The Holy Roman Empire... combined. It was militarily extremely powerful and in every other way a back waters hell hole. Basically the North Korea of the 1600s.

The Swedish Army also beat out Russia several times and took all land up to Moscow. Invading Russia and keeping it are two very different things however and I don't think anyone has managed the latter. Again, this all happened at a HUGE cost for the population of Sweden and all for the greater glory of Gustavus Adolphus Un Kim.

Quote Originally Posted by Deldavala View Post
    Ofc, Its the same in the US for instance. Crime and violence are at a all time low, but since media is reporting it more, the feeling of safety is down.

There is also the fact that even if the general safety is up, it can be less for certain groups of people. Player Twelve for instance is a Serbian/Swedish Woman(IIRC) and she might have a different perception than the regular Swedish Man/Woman.
    This is probably the biggest reason people say they feel more unsafe today then back in the day.

- - - Updated - - -
    I'm not Swedish, so not sure why you're replying to me with the plural form of "you". Also, that's really not how history works, at all. Prussia was located in one of the most densly populated areas Europe, with tons of minor German states bordering them, allowing for much more efficient expansion (conquering people who speak your language is a lot easier than conquering complete foreigners), with little external threats, while Sweden had an extremely low population, while bordering Russia. Prussia was already very large and powerful when they first bordered Russia.

As somebody else answered earlier in the thread: Sweden won the 30 year war against Spain and the biggest one of them all, The Holy Roman Empire... combined. It was militarily extremely powerful and in every other way a back waters hell hole. Basically the North Korea of the 1600s.

Also, my original point wasn't to glorify the Swedish Imperial era, it was to show that they already tried that route, and while it worked for a while, it eventually led to some massive suffering for their ppl. Not to mention the fact that the idea of a European nation trying to conquer their neighbouring countries by force in the 21st century, with the existence of nuclear weapons and NATO, is so absurd that I have no idea why it was suggested in the first place.
    Last edited by ThrashMetalFtw; 2018-03-02 at 02:57 PM.
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Helltrixz View Post
    Yes, I can - Swedish politicians trying to force the rest of EU to take their immigrants and becoming very, very upset when the rest didn't feel like it.

As for your second question, Slovenia's traditionally copying Austrian/German concepts, sometimes more, sometimes less successfully. We really don't copy Sweden or give a shit about Sweden in general, but we do take note of things not to do.
    We didn't force anything. EU decided everyone should take immigrants and some countries decided to ship them to us... of course we're gonna be vocal about it. We did our part, now do yours.
    Don't really see the connection you're trying to make either way.

I continue to be shocked by how naieve Swedish female politicians are about certain cultures that are generally very oppressive to women. You’d probably have to talk to actual Swedes to understand it, their culture is very different from us Yankees

Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    I continue to be shocked by how naieve Swedish female politicians are about certain cultures that are generally very oppressive to women. You’d probably have to talk to actual Swedes to understand it, their culture is very different from us Yankees
    We don't understand them either.

I don't consider any European countries to be very successful in 2018.
    Without Americas consistent protection russia could conquer all of Europe and place in communist rule, easily.

In reality those countries are welfare recipients of americas protecting freeing up their own budget to spend on the people while americas people suffer trying to have a strong enough military to protect ourself and all of our weak allies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    To be fair, that's a pretty subjective thing. Not everyone is into blondes.
    There are two kinds of people: People who are into blondes, and people who are wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Daethz View Post
    I don't consider any European countries to be very successful in 2018.
    Without Americas consistent protection russia could conquer all of Europe and place in communist rule, easily.

In reality those countries are welfare recipients of americas protecting freeing up their own budget to spend on the people while americas people suffer trying to have a strong enough military to protect ourself and all of our weak allies.
    Hell yeah, 'Murica.

Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    There are two kinds of people: People who are into blondes, and people who are wrong.
    I prefer Mediterranean and Latin women, and if that's wrong then I am proudly, unequivocally, and very happily wrong, and wrong I shall forever stay