Annihilation 7/10

We finally get a movie about something truly alien, and in that regard we have a movie that is a full out horror movie.
    I've heard this compared to "Arrival," but in that movie we have aliens that are ultimately benevolent.
    In "Annihilation" we have an alien presence that isn't benevolent at all.
    We have a small group of women (yes, this was pointed out) going in to investigate what prior military teams never walked out of. (The exceptions being our heroine's husband...or so we thought. And then Portman's character, she's telling the story of the movie)
    But to say this alien presence is "evil" is to use a human frame of reference that really doesn't exist.
    Hmf...When our heroine (played by Natalie Portman) is asked "What does it want?" She responds; "It doesn't want anything." In essence it's just too alien. Desire is a human thing that this Presence doesn't likely understand let alone care about such a thing. This Presence changes everything around it. And not just down to a cellular level either; space, time, energy, the "Shimmer" is how light refracts to it, which is miles wide.
    When Portman's character is interrogated in the beginning, she is asked, "What were you eating? You had two weeks of rations and you've been in there for four months." (She can't remember) And when Portman's little group thought they spent the first night there, they realized that they had eaten several days worth of rations and couldn't remember getting to where they had woken up. They were unable to recall what they had did prior to that point in time.
    Things take a dramatic turn for the worse...but then things aren't going to end well when you realize that simply entering the Shimmer was a death sentence as their very bodies become "infected." (The one character says she sees her own fingerprints moving, and we aren't sure if she's screwed up in the head) They come across a mutated crocodile, and then a mutated bear that really fucks them over. Our heroine makes it to the Lighthouse where the center of this Presence is at...and she comes across a recording of her husband and she sees horror.
    The Presence eventually tries to copy her human form, and we see a vulnerability (maybe) as she lights the damn thing up with a phosphorus grenade...and we see it burn strangely...looking at its arms as if it couldn't comprehend it's own burning form. (Get the feeling it was transmogrifying the energy. I'd like to believe a nuke would hurt the thing, but it probably wouldn't affect it at all except to make it radioactive).

This movie made me think just how "alien" an alien could get. The closest analogue I drew from was Lovecraft's "Black Goat of a Thousand Young." And yet, I have the impression that that's probably still too much a human reference.
    (I know that this is based on a book, and what I took from the movie could be completely off from the author's story, but I can only go by what I saw on screen. And if I recall, the author wrote only two books of a planned trilogy)

Just saw Rogue One for the first time. I really enjoyed it, and actually liked it better than The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi.

8/10.

Black Panther 5.5/10

The Post - 8/10
    The Shape of Water - 9/10

The Black Panther - 8/10
    Full Metal Alchemist - 7/10

Quote Originally Posted by Sage89 View Post
    How does it hold up to brotherhood?

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedSkull View Post
    How does it hold up to brotherhood?
    The story highlights plot points and has the spirit of the series but moves at a much faster rate and the ending is a complete derail but I still enjoyed it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I, Tonya: 8.5/10

I fell in love with Margot bros... She's my Oscar pick for sure. Anyway, excellent biopic/period piece with a great cast of characters.

The Shape of Water: 7/10

It's expertly directed and even has a nostalgic feel towards the cold war, but it's just so by the numbers and predictable and doesn't ooze a milligram of excitement. It's pretty to look at though.

Shannon's super evil character was just downright comical and Spencer actually got an Oscar nom for this? The fuck.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2018-03-01 at 10:40 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    Mute - 0/10
    an utter piece of Trash. the only good thing about this movie was Paul Ruds acting the rest (story, setting, etc) was pure trash.
    someone should tell that Jones dude he just doesnt have it anymore. Moon and Sourcecode where great but since then he only does b-movie trash.
    dont waste your time on this.
    (My biggest complain is that the movie claims it plays in Berlin but you also could claim it plays in Hong Kong, LA, etc cause the background is made so terrible it could be ANYWHERE in the world because you have no landmarks, no nothing....)
    I preferred it to Duncan Jones's previous film - now that really was terrible.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Founder, 10/10

The Justice League, 9/10

It was great to finally see a DC teamup Live Action film, and Damn if they didn't make Aquaman badass, the Flash was good as well I like they kept him lighthearted, and Cyborg was great. The only let down for me was no Green Lantern, my favorite DC super hero. The only thing that didn't do it for me was Ben Aflack as Batman he is so bad. If they had a better Batman I would have given it 10/10.

- - - Updated - - -

The Black Panther - 8/10
    I was so excited when I saw Full Metal Alchemist on my netflix ... But it is not in English, I dont understand why they even put movies on Netflix that arent in English..... so I just couldn't watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    The Justice League, 9/10

It was great to finally see a DC teamup Live Action film, and Damn if they didn't make Aquaman badass, the Flash was good as well I like they kept him lighthearted, and Cyborg was great. The only let down for me was no Green Lantern, my favorite DC super hero. The only thing that didn't do it for me was Ben Aflack as Batman he is so bad. If they had a better Batman I would have given it 10/10.

- - - Updated - - -

I was so excited when I saw Full Metal Alchemist on my netflix ... But it is not in English, I dont understand why they even put movies on Netflix that arent in English..... so I just couldn't watch it.
    It is dubbed in English but that is not the default. However the dubbing was so bad I switched it back to Japanese with English subtitles.

It is dubbed in English but that is not the default. However the dubbing was so bad I switched it back to Japanese with English subtitles.
    It was just a descriptive audio not dubed.

You would rather watch a horrible dub than a film in its original language ... ?

Quote Originally Posted by Arctagon View Post
    You would rather watch a horrible dub than a film in its original language ... ?
    It appears a lot of americans and other native english speakers, who have never had to rely on subtitles, hate subtitles and not being able to understand the primary language being spoken in the movie because they are not used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    It appears a lot of americans and other native english speakers, who have never had to rely on subtitles, hate subtitles and not being able to understand the primary language being spoken in the movie because they are not used to it.
    The reason I like dub because it lets me focus on the expression on peoples faces when they talk and other things. Sometimes subtitles are bad as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctagon View Post
    Is this even a serious question?

I enjoy anime as much as the next man. Doesnt mean I want to sit close to the screen so I can read the tiny writing and miss all the action going on around it

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    Fair point. I forget how it must be being a native English speaker at times.

10+ Year Old Account
    Black Panther - 8.5/10

A thoughtful protagonist, a sympathetic antagonist, a strong supporting cast of characters, and a story with substance and a refreshing point of view that I wanted to return to. I loved it. I think it stands alongside Winter Soldier as the best of the MCU. The genre needed this jolt.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - 6/10

Frances McDormand and the dark humor carried an otherwise ordinary film.

The Disaster Artist - 7/10

What a strange yet charming film. Franco was a hoot.
    Last edited by Daws001; 2018-03-03 at 11:52 PM.