Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

WoW locations similar to your home area

Have you ever thought that some places in WoW are similar to the city, town or overall area you live in? It may be the environment, or the architecture, or just the atmosphere that makes you feel a certain deja vu in some game zones.

I personally found Suramar City to be very reminiscent of my home Saint Petersburg. It is also a port city, so it has a lot of canals, and overall has a very marine feel. It also has a similar Baroque/neoclassical architecture, which makes sense considering Highborne buildings are very Classical-inspired. Even its layout is very similar: a semicircle facing the sea with a small island off the coast (Nighthold). It also has the country's largest drug addict population.

As for the area around Saint Petersburg, it is kind of similar to a mix between the Howling Fjord (the forests and the cold weather) and the Tirisfal Glades or Gilneas (the cloudiness, the gloomy atmosphere). A dark but beautiful area.
    Last edited by TheImperios; 2018-03-02 at 10:23 PM.
    The shadowy Daughter of Urthona stood before red Orc,
    When fourteen suns had faintly journey'd o'er his dark abode:
    His food she brought in iron baskets, his drink in cups of iron:
    Crown'd with a helmet and dark hair the nameless female stood;

5+ Year Old Account
    I love Northrend because it looks so much like Canada, lol. Snowy areas are my favorite, though I do love Tanaris and Uldum's sandy wastes. The vast isolation isn't something you find in WoW much. #RIPShimmeringFlats
    Owner & Operator of The Barrens Grind Support Group
    Survivor of Early TBC Ganklethorn Vale
    Horde Till I Die

I currently live in Japan and right behind the mansion I live in, there are verdant rice fields and a bamboo thicket. Also tons of temples and shrines. Anywhere I look reminds me of Valley of the Four Winds and the Jade Forest

I feel sorry the person who will say Silithius remind him of his home

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Phuongvi View Post
    Yeah, Silithus really is a shithole.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phuongvi View Post
    /Raise

The part of the country I live at is a desert, mostly, except for the little oasis where the city is located. There is a *huge* mountain range nearby, so the weather is quite cold in the winter, and quite hot in the summer... You should see the mosquitoes, they are almost the size of those bugs in Silithus

Echo Isles reminds me a bit of the city I was born in.

I'd like to see a zone with some araucarias, that would be nice.

I would say Silverpine Forest or Howling Fjord remind me the most of where I live.

Stormpeaks shrug
    An'u belore delen'na

10+ Year Old Account
    Goblin slums

Quote Originally Posted by Shinrael View Post
    I currently live in Japan and right behind the mansion I live in, there are verdant rice fields and a bamboo thicket. Also tons of temples and shrines. Anywhere I look reminds me of Valley of the Four Winds and the Jade Forest
    pictures please

Pennsylvania - Grizzly Hills. I love it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Detheavn View Post
    Goblin slums
    New york city?

The reality is that the distances to travel in WoW zones is nothing compared to the distances in the real world. I live next to the Rocky mountains and it takes hours of walking to get high up and even then you have only touched the lower first set of hills. Kun Lai summit reminded me a bit of the Rockies but still too little vegetation when you see the mountain pastures in the rockies in the spring.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Pennsylvania - Grizzly Hills. I love it.

- - - Updated - - -

New york city?
    I picture Detroit or Flint, Michigan being more like goblin slums.

Deleted
    Hellfire peninsula

Quote Originally Posted by khazmodan View Post
    pictures please
    Sure!
    In picture 1 you can even see the mansion I live in, it's that white three-storey building to the right of the river. Come vist anytime <3
    The rest of the photos were taken in the following regions of Japan: Osaka (Minoh City, where I live), Yokohama City (Sankeien Gardens), Fukui Prefecture (Eiheji Temple), Kamakura (er, forgot the name of the temple but the area around its stairs reminded me a lot of Temple of the Jade Serpent xD) and Tokyo (Asakusa Temple).

https://imgur.com/a/Ve9tY
    Last edited by Shinrael; 2018-03-03 at 11:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Twilight Highlands felt insanely like the snowfields in Australia.
    Aye mate

7+ Year Old Account
    The swamp of sorrows/dustwallow marsh

Elwynn forest, I guess, but with less trees? TBH the area I live in is not that exciting. lol.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheImperios View Post
    Have you ever thought that some places in WoW are similar to the city, town or overall area you live in? It may be the environment, or the architecture, or just the atmosphere that makes you feel a certain deja vu in some game zones.

I personally found Suramar City to be very reminiscent of my home Saint Petersburg. It is also a port city, so it has a lot of canals, and overall has a very marine feel. It also has a similar Baroque/neoclassical architecture, which makes sense considering Highborne buildings are very Classical-inspired. Even its layout is very similar: a semicircle facing the sea with a small island off the coast (Nighthold). It also has the country's largest drug addict population.

As for the area around Saint Petersburg, it is kind of similar to a mix between the Howling Fjord (the forests and the cold weather) and the Tirisfal Glades or Gilneas (the cloudiness, the gloomy atmosphere). A dark but beautiful area.
    Well..... Many of wow's places are inspired by real life.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinrael View Post
    Sure!
    In picture 1 you can even see the mansion I live in, it's that white three-storey building to the right of the river. Come vist anytime <3
    The rest of the photos were taken in the following regions of Japan: Osaka (Minoh City, where I live), Yokohama City (Sankeien Gardens), Fukui Prefecture (Eiheji Temple), Kamakura (er, forgot the name of the temple but the area around its stairs reminded me a lot of Temple of the Jade Serpent xD) and Tokyo (Asakusa Temple).

https://imgur.com/a/Ve9tY
    Looks extremely nice, don't let modern pc culture in and it will stay that way.