Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Realitytrembles View Post
    Your error is your assumption that other nations' opinions of the US matters to me. They don't.
    Have you ever tried trading with your self?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    You do realize, regardless how powerful the US maybe, you need the rest of the world, if anything to buy your products. The US do not produce enough steel on its own for its own need, putting tariff on steel and aluminium literally means your industry will purchase raw materials at higher price.

It's like walking into a shop and deciding you want to pay more than the actual price, for reasons.
    Actually, the rest of the world is why we are so powerful. China has suicide nets for workers, making shit we buy at Walmart for 2 dollars. Being the big dog, makes our position in trade a lot stronger, than if we were just one of the countries.

Like I said above, trading with your self is stupid. Trading as the world’s largest consumer, has significant privileges. It will always mean that we import more than we export, but we are the one that are reaping the rewards of foreign workers having suicide nets...

That’s the bizarre irony in Trump... his stance is wholly anti American... I have never seen a president of a country, reply to someone saying “people say Putin is a killer”, with “do you think America is so innocent?”.
    Last edited by Felya; 2018-03-04 at 04:38 AM.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Great news.

This will decimate factory workers that make products with steel.

This will benefit factory workers who make steel.

Both groups are deplorable Trump worshippers. Let them rip each other to shreds.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, just -sort of- close down all european brand plants in US and then you will have to buy american cars built with overpriced steel and aluminium. what could possibly go wrong ? this ping-pong in car industry alone is a farce, now try to sell any sort of buildings built with overpriced steel.

and then have fun with your products you want to export. yay.

10+ Year Old Account
    Juncker said it right, if the US wants we can act just as stupid and add tariffs on everything american made to compensate for this.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/02/b...ffs-trump.html

"Jean-Claude Juncker, president of the European Commission, made the remarks to the German news media in reaction to the proposed tariffs. He said the plans to tax the American goods, produced in the home states of key Republican leaders, had not yet been finalized, but amounted to treating them “the same way” that European products would be handled if the metals tariffs go through."

Important to note the US has no ally in this, like the climate deal pull out completely isolated again.

Quote Originally Posted by paralleluniverse View Post
    Great news.

This will decimate factory workers that make products with steel.

This will benefit factory workers who make steel.

Both groups are deplorable Trump worshippers. Let them rip each other to shreds.
    That's the thing though. Neither short or long term their is their any benefit of a trade war that Trump just started.

It's called supply and demand. If you fuck over demand then supply gets effected.

But the glue sniffing low IQ right-winger doesn't understand how basic economics works.
    Last edited by ati87; 2018-03-04 at 01:47 PM.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Juncker said it right, if the US wants we can act just as stupid and add tariffs on everything american made to compensate for this.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/02/b...ffs-trump.html

"Jean-Claude Juncker, president of the European Commission, made the remarks to the German news media in reaction to the proposed tariffs. He said the plans to tax the American goods, produced in the home states of key Republican leaders, had not yet been finalized, but amounted to treating them “the same way” that European products would be handled if the metals tariffs go through."

Important to note the US has no ally in this, like the climate deal pull out completely isolated again.
    So that's it? The trade war begins and consumers on both side lose. Thanks oba... i mean Trump.

10+ Year Old Account
    So that's it? The trade war begins and consumers on both side lose. Thanks oba... i mean Trump.
    Consumers, jobs,... read the whole article it states that none of this is wanted from the EU side but that a response must be met in kind. Once the EU starts targeting key republican states maybe they come to reason before it has an actual effect.

10+ Year Old Account
    The EU does not want a trade war, but sometimes you have to go through with things you'd prefer not to none the less.

Standing up to the US and pushing back when they want a trade war is one of those situations.

I'd strongly recommend The Weeds podcast on this topic from earlier this week. Really engaging and hits some of the nuance that isn't obvious at a glance.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    The EU does not want a trade war, but sometimes you have to go through with things you'd prefer not to none the less.

Standing up to the US and pushing back when they want a trade war is one of those situations.
    Yes exactly.

For all you out there BREXIT fan, this right here, this, is the exact reason the European Union exists. So european countries alone would not be bullied by economic giant like USA or china.

The EU represent 700 millions consumer market and is the biggest free market of the planet.

Alone, its members could be bullied and the US could dictate their terms. But Unified, the Europe will stand up and say this is unacceptable. This is the very reason we are stronger together.

Good luck to the post brexit UK that want to negotiate with a belligerent Trump alone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I'd strongly recommend The Weeds podcast on this topic from earlier this week. Really engaging and hits some of the nuance that isn't obvious at a glance.
    When other world leaders are responding back in force, in all honestly all the nuances some random blogger can come up worth really isn't worth a damn.

Sounds to me it is going to be an hour long of nonsense, trying really hard to make any of this sound reasonable and logical. AKA trying to make us think it's not Trump doing his usual retarded trump things. good luck with selling that.

When other world leaders are responding back in force, in all honestly all the nuances some random blogger can come up worth really isn't worth a damn.

Sounds to me it is going to be an hour long of nonsense, trying really hard to make any of this sound reasonable and logical. AKA trying to make us think it's not Trump doing his usual retarded trump things. good luck with selling that.
    Well, this is a stupid reply. Oh well, rant away.

Edit - To clarify why this reply is stupid, it's because Vox is left-leaning and engages in zero Trump apologia. Describing Vox as "some random blogger" is also stupid. Not caring about specifics of policy is also stupid.
    Last edited by Spectral; 2018-03-04 at 01:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, this is a stupid reply. Oh well, rant away.
    Not even close to the realm of stupidity of expecting people to listen to some random unknown podcasters. Not even factoring what type of fringe political views you generally push.

doesn't this actually have to be voted on? he can't just be like "I want tariffs!" and it just happens. No one wants this

According to two officials, Trump’s decision to launch a potential trade war was born out of anger at other simmering issues and the result of a broken internal process that has failed to deliver him consensus views that represent the best advice of his team.

On Wednesday evening, the president became “unglued,” in the words of one official familiar with the president’s state of mind.

A trifecta of events had set him off in a way that two officials said they had not seen before: Hope Hicks’ testimony to lawmakers investigating Russia’s interference in the 2016 election, conduct by his embattled attorney general and the treatment of his son-in-law by his chief of staff.

Trump, the two officials said, was angry and gunning for a fight, and he chose a trade war.
    A big whiny man baby is what the retards of this country have elected...

Think about that for a second. People inside the White House are telling the press that bad political news caused the president to become “unglued,” and that he decided the best way to respond to that was to launch a trade war. It’s policymaking out of sheer emotional pique.
    Last edited by Themius; 2018-03-04 at 02:13 PM.

Not even close to the realm of stupidity of expecting people to listen to some random unknown podcasters. Not even factoring what type of fringe political views you generally push.
    Right, like I said, if you think Vox is unknown or fringe, you're pretty much openly declaring deliberate political ignorance. They're one of the more prominent policy news sites and generally lean left. Not being aware of that isn't really a good look if you're going to act like you remotely give a shit about policy. Ezra Klein is neither fringe nor obscure; if you don't know who he is, it's really not my fault.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    doesn't this actually have to be voted on? he can't just be like "I want tariffs!" and it just happens. No one wants this...
    He can't quite do it by fiat, but it actually doesn't require a vote - this is regulated by the Department of Commerce and is being accomplished by busting out an obscure statute that frames it as a national security issue. If Wilbur Ross is on board, they can do it more or less immediately. Normally, this would go through the WTO framework, but some genius in the administration came up with doing an end-run around that process.

10+ Year Old Account
    Right, like I said, if you think Vox is unknown or fringe, you're pretty much openly declaring deliberate political ignorance. They're one of the more prominent policy news sites and generally lean left. Not being aware of that isn't really a good look if you're going to act like you remotely give a shit about policy.
    Never heard of Vox and not an american, tells me they aren't a relevant international news site. In case you forgot this site is not american. I fail to see why i should care about this site in particular and how that is relevant to me commenting on international effecting policies. Considering its policies may or may not have effect on my line of work.

Left or right to me is highly irrelevant to me especially considering what americans considering to be "left" these days what is essentially everyone not in support of trump while i have yet to see trump do anything conservative, unless you count bigotry as a conservative trait, something i do not.

In any case you could have provided a summary you did not. Feel free to continue to describe the site in question instead, its really interesting /s

Never heard of Vox and not an american, tells me they aren't a relevant international news site. In case you forgot this site is not american. I fail to see why i should care about this site in particular and how that is relevant to me commenting on international effecting policies. Considering its policies may or may not have effect on my line of work.

Left or right to me is highly irrelevant to me especially considering what americans considering to be "left" these days what is essentially everyone not in support of trump while i have yet to see trump do anything conservative, unless you count bigotry as a conservative trait, something i do not.

In any case you could have provided a summary you did not. Feel free to continue to describe the site in question instead, its really interesting /s
    You don't have to listen to shit. I offered it as an option for people that are actually interested in policy. Clearly that's not you - that's fine. I still think your initial response to the link was pretty stupid:
    Not wanting to listen to a podcast is fine, but this response is... well, it's just plain stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    doesn't this actually have to be voted on? he can't just be like "I want tariffs!" and it just happens. No one wants this
    He can impose them unilaterally. Congress can then take him to court, on shaky grounds and they'd likely remain in effect until the court rules.

This news article isn't about these tariffs, but the notion still holds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Reading the reactions across the world, I think this is a breaking point. The EU (and the Germans in particular) are no longer willing to just nod and wait for the Cheeto to leave.
    I think the clear difference is reacting to something that has material impact rather than just rhetoric. Saying unkind things about Mexicans is really no skin off Germany's ass, but a tariff on metals is stupid and hurts everyone.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    This news article isn't about these tariffs, but the notion still holds.
    1. Trump's biggest weapon: Unlimited tariffs 'during time of war'
    This seems like yet another good reason to not just being in a perpetual state of war.

You don't have to listen to shit. I offered it as an option for people that are actually interested in policy. Clearly that's not you - that's fine. I still think your initial response to the link was pretty stupid:

Not wanting to listen to a podcast is fine, but this response is... well, it's just plain stupid.
    You linked an hour long podcast that where the topic at hand is 1 of 3 topics discussed in the podcast. That's basically a "fuck you" to anyone you're having a discussion with. If they have a cogent point, summarize it and post it here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..