Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

So I wanna be a cop...

To clarify, I want to be a traffic cop. Also, do not intend to reply unless you intend to read until the end @chazus.

Let me explain:

See, when I was a young boy (I think... 7-8? Maybe 8.) I was in a large accident involving a cement truck and...

Subsequently lost my little cousin. From what the trial and my own eyes/brain understand (I was 8), the cement truck driver simply ignored a "blind spot" and... squashed us between a light pole and his liquid cement carrying machine.

My cousin was only 6, and he was sitting on the passenger side, in a car-seat. Stoplight footage catches the cement truck blaring through a yellow light in only .6 frames @ 25fps.

This was California. The case was dropped because my aunt was turning illegally >right> on a red light and the cement truck man was unionized; thus giving him a more experienced lawyer who could argue a settlement with the public defender. They agreed to said settlement, including land! And a lot of money from the truck drivers company.

This is where my ideals come in.

... Crazy--dumb--piss-me--off--part. Almost 20 years after this accident occurred, my aunts lawyer (who is also her new husband, former cop/detective for the Chicago/Baltomore PD - they work at the same law-firm as of 2015 ) explained that with simple math you don't really need to even understand how fast the truck was going before it slammed into my aunt's burgundy Astrovan. Prompting a new(?) case. (Still not sure as to the conclusion of this, but that's whatever)...

WELL OK>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> *Sound of tires coming to a screeching halt*

>>>>>>>>This entire scenario would of been non-existent had the man used his turn signal. *Law & Order noise BONG BONK*

>>>>>>>>This whole thing could of been avoided had proper traffic law been followed. *Law & Order noise BONG BONK*

WOW>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> *Law & Order noise BONG BONK*

I want to change the norm by becoming a police officer/county sheriff and busting people for doing, frankly:

"DUMBASS SHIT FOR NO REASON".

It gets more fucked up tho.
    *Law & Order noise BONG BONK*

I am currently a chef. I work for a local businessman who owns a restaurant but also deals with concessions for the local parks and recreational centers. March marks the spring baseball league for kids age 10-17. Today I was running the grill inside the concession building to help promote the business/restaurant and the league. I met tons of families and their kids. Being a baseball-loving person and also having played the sport, small baseball talk was fun!

I was leaving the ballpark today. Before my eyes I witnesses;

Like a ghost from another dimension

the exact same accident

But instead of a cement truck it was with a Sedan. Nobody was injured.

I was born and raised in Santa Monica, CA. I have seen some hella extra drivers and some dumb people...

But the speeding dru(g/nk)ies
    No turn signal using people
    Yellow light running motherfuckers
    85+ OLD PEOPLE??????

To these people I wish I could tell them:

"You actually don't know everything. You aren't an X-men and you can't see through your blind-spot -- or have the reaction time to do anything"...

WHATEVER TL;DR (to be said in the voice of Debbie Thornberry)

I guess in the end, I want to know one thing from ya'll....

Yes or No? Join the force and help enforce basic traffic law... Or push my shit aside and continue to pursue another passion, which is cooking.
    Last edited by Not Againnn; 2018-03-05 at 07:11 AM.

This was California. The case was dropped because my aunt was turning >right> on a red light and the cement truck man was unionized; thus giving him a more experienced lawyer who could argue a settlement with the public defender. They agreed to said settlement, including land! And a lot of money from the truck drivers company.
    This part confused me. The union lawyer representing the defendant argued a settlement with the public defender? I'm not sure I understand. The legal representation for the truck driver would have been in negotiation with the plaintiffs lawyer. I'm a little confused.

I'm sure the force could always need more motivated people.
    Make sure you're doing this for the right reasons though. If it's some sort of payback or you're just doing it to deal with emotional issues from a rather traumatic ordeal then you might end up with a job that you don't really like. Also be well aware that you will end up seeing a lot more of these types of accidents and as a police officers, it's not your job to judge or punish these drivers.

In any case, MMO-Cs readers won't be much help here. You need to figure this one out yourself.
    Last edited by Aggrophobic; 2018-03-05 at 06:07 AM.

You could also think about law but I'm not sure I can recommend being a lawyer unless you love the law...do it! I wanted to be a cop/FBI agent too but have been told I am "too nice" which anyone here knows is bullshit.

...Drungies?
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    I'm sure the force could always need more motivated people.
    Make sure you're doing this for the right reasons though. If it's some sort of payback or you're just doing it to deal with emotional issues from a rather traumatic ordeal then you might end up with a job that you don't really like.

In any case, MMO-Cs readers won't be much help here. You need to figure this one out yourself.
    Honestly his reason is better than "I WANT TO KILL BAD GUYZ" aka most cops I've met.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    This part confused me. The union lawyer representing the defendant argued a settlement with the public defender? I'm not sure I understand. The legal representation for the truck driver would have been in negotiation with the plaintiffs lawyer. I'm a little confused.
    the union represented the truck driver. the public defender was for the counterclaim for damages to his truck and the lost cement.
    nothing was given to the victims family beyond money and a bond for land.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Honestly his reason is better than "I WANT TO KILL BAD GUYZ" aka most cops I've met.
    Oh, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    ...Drungies?
    its a hybrid

Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    triple A with guns. patrolling the highways is one of the worst jobs in my opinion. find something better to do...
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Not Againnn View Post
    My cousin was only 6, and he was sitting on the passenger side, in a car-seat. Stoplight footage catches the cement truck blaring through a yellow light in only .6 frames @ 25fps.

This was California. The case was dropped because my aunt was turning >right> on a red light and the cement truck man was unionized; thus giving him a more experienced lawyer who could argue a settlement with the public defender. They agreed to said settlement, including land! And a lot of money from the truck drivers company.
    1. legal but not smart.
    2. illegal.

I'm not sure what's the argument here? What the cement driver did, was stupid with tragic results, but not illegal. What your aunt did was illegal with deadly results, but not only did she not end up paying it seems, she got a payday for having done that?

I can understand you wanting to stop such things from happening, but honestly I think your reasons are abit skewed for wanting to do that. You want to stop "yellow light running motherfuckers" but not a word of red light running ones, getting kids killed along with getting a payday out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Last place you want career advice is MMO Champ.

Speak to police recuiters and go along for the ride alongs etc and see how you feel

the union represented the truck driver. the public defender was for the counterclaim for damages to his truck and the lost cement.
    nothing was given to the victims family beyond money and a bond for land.
    As far as I'm aware, public defenders are exclusively for defendants, not plaintiffs. I assume the cement truck company or it's union was being sued, making you or your family the plaintiffs.

what do you think?
    Do it. If you get bored you can always move up from traffic cop.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    triple A with guns. patrolling the highways is one of the worst jobs in my opinion. find something better to do...
    how is reprimanding bad drivers a problem?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    1. legal but not smart.
    2. illegal.

I'm not sure what's the argument here? What the cement driver did, was stupid with tragic results, but not illegal. What your aunt did was illegal with deadly results, but not only did she not end up paying it seems, she got a payday for having done that?

I can understand you wanting to stop such things from happening, but honestly I think your reasons are abit skewed for wanting to do that. You want to stop "yellow light running motherfuckers" but not a word of red light running ones, getting kids killed along with getting a payday out of it.
    FYI turning right on red isn't illegal unless a sign says you can't. You're just supposed to yield to the guys with the green and yellow lights.

And for yellow, you're not supposed to run them unless you absolutely can't stop

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    As far as I'm aware, public defenders are exclusively for defendants, not plaintiffs. I assume the cement truck company or it's union was being sued, making you or your family the plaintiffs.
    Yes, the counter-suit was on public property and the state was siding with the union in a joint case. I think?

It was a joint settlement so it may of had a deal or two involved with either party. Both ways, justice was not served.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    FYI turning right on red isn't illegal unless a sign says you can't. You're just supposed to yield to the guys with the green and yellow lights.

And for yellow, you're not supposed to run them unless you absolutely can't stop
    I just said it was illegal in the OP.

10+ Year Old Account
    OT: Do what you have a passion for and are good at. However if you go law enforcement I'd tone down the idealism

Yes, the counter-suit was on public property and the state was siding with the union in a joint case. I think?

It was a joint settlement so it may of had a deal or two involved with either party. Both ways, justice was not served.

- - - Updated - - -

I just said it was illegal in the OP.
    So I will say this...I am not a cop but I went to law school, law is rarely about right and wrong. Sucky truth but truth nonetheless.

That being said, when justice and the law does line up it feels really good.