Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    That's exactly because with less production lines available the most if used for flash memory chips (basically SSDs and smartphones, stuff that has a very high exchange rate). RAM and GPU have taken the bigger hit. Only that RAM isn't sought by miners while GPUs are.

You're getting all my post wrong. GPUs are highly priced because of the shortage and retailers are keeping prices high because of the increased demand. Again, miners have an impact on prices not going down, but the initial increase wasn't due to miners only.
    But the Miner Boom came before the increased RAM price, if you count the high demand on the high RAM cards RX 470/480.

People just need to wait, there will be millions of failed ventures in the crypto currency market. Once this starts happening more and more you will get 2nd hand titan cards for next to nothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    They gotta find a way to block mining on gaming cards.

If not then mid-range cards will start at $1000.

Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    But the Miner Boom came before the increased RAM price, if you count the high demand on the high RAM cards RX 470/480.
    That's right, though it wasn't this bad at the start. Everything together is what makes current situation unsustainable - i'm just saying that miners aren't the only reason of price increase.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrages View Post
    Save yourself the grief and just get a PS4 Pro.
    Said no one ever...

10+ Year Old Account
    I said it. Plus, there's no reason to keep pretending that the fantasy of "PC master race" is even still a thing. I mean, sure, when MMOs were on the upswing and Blizzard was still mostly a PC gaming company and when PC had the open world market cornered and any other reason that PCs used to have an advantage over consoles, it made sense to believe that PC > console, but almost all of those advantages PCs had have eroded away at this point. I will say, though, that I still prefer playing any Battlefield game on PC over console any day.
    That goes with any FPS for that matter though. First Person Shooters on consoles = cancer.

I suppose you're right - but I still prefer the PC platform because of the frequent holiday sales. Plus, gaming @ 100hz on a 3440x1440 monitor doesn't even compare.
    Last edited by SLSAMG; 2018-03-06 at 04:48 PM.

I said it. Plus, there's no reason to keep pretending that the fantasy of "PC master race" is even still a thing. I mean, sure, when MMOs were on the upswing and Blizzard was still mostly a PC gaming company and when PC had the open world market cornered and any other reason that PCs used to have an advantage over consoles, it made sense to believe that PC > console, but almost all of those advantages PCs had have eroded away at this point. I will say, though, that I still prefer playing any Battlefield game on PC over console any day.
    How have PC advantages eroded when a $400 PC can perform just as well if not better than a console. I'd have to say it's the other way around and consoles are slowly wanting to become PC's...Xbox One X sounds like a good example.

10+ Year Old Account
    Save yourself the grief and just get a PS4 Pro.
    Sorry but 30 FPS was normal 30 years ago... we're in 2018 now.

Maybe they should use consoles for mining, ramp up their prices.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeeGee View Post
    Sorry but 30 FPS was normal 30 years ago... we're in 2018 now.

Maybe they should use consoles for mining, ramp up their prices.
    uhm 30 years ago we barely were hitting 20fps. consoles couldn't even do that.the n64 struggled to hit 30fps. 30fps didn't become the norm until around 2000.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Apparently I should have included the part where I was speaking about it being due to mining. Their costs have gone up because the costs of materials has gone up, as described by the article linked later in the thread. Welcome to the thread, by the way.
    From what I have seen, their costs have gone up but not to the extent that their prices have gone up. There have been no reports of NVidia or AMD charing more for the GPU's. What has obviously gone up is memory but the memory increases don't account for anywhere close to the price increases. The biggest reason for the price increases is demand and that's being driven by mining. While it's certainly not the only factor, it's by far the biggest factor. The difference in MSRP between the 3GB 1060 and the 6GB 1060 is $50. The difference between their now inflated prices ranges from $60 to $90. If RAM was the primary driver in price then that gap would be much higher.

To reiterate, I am not saying that mining is the only driver, just that it's the biggest driver.

It looks like the manufacturers and the retailers are the ones milking it here. If you look at the price differences between Amazon and Newegg, you can see that Newegg is milking the GPU's for every cent they can. As I indicated before, EVGA's prices to the public are quite a bit higher than MSRP so they are definitely taking a cut of the extra profit out there.

Unfortunately demand determines prices, not costs. I am not angry/bitter/etc about it. I just shopped around and got myself a 1050ti while waiting for the prices to normalize again. It's a bit annoying but I only paid $40 over MSRP so it's not the end of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    There actually are reports of the cost going up, due to the cost of memory they use going up. They aren’t price gouging due to mining demand though. Retailers on the other hand...
    I think it's a bit of both. I don't think they are charging as much as they could be but their prices have gone up by a bigger margin than their costs. Probably more of a problem is that they are selling direct to miners at retail. I remember reading an article where Sapphire sold a bulk order of something like 20k mining cards (single video port). Those cards are only slightly different from regular cards but they would have taken stock of GPU's and RAM out of the available pool. Those cards don't even touch retail and Sapphire are making a boat load of cash.

There were also other stories about Russian and Chinese mining companies or it might be one from Finland. I don't remember the details.

I think there are some manufacturers that are decent and try to keep their gaming clients happy (EVGA as an example) but there are others that are screwing over gamers without blinking twice like Sapphire.