Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Devs Don't Give a Single Damn About Proper RPG Aspects

This game can barely be called a proper RPG now. The devs only use the bare essentials so it can flow properly.

Was questing tonight on my low level character and saw a level 14 hunter that looked like he was level 100. Apparently a recent change removed even more restriction from mogging. Proper visual equipment progression seems to be something both the community at large and devs don't give a single shit about.

Just another change in a long list of them that makes me care less about this game. I get it though, the game is old as dirt and at this point the devs and suits above them will basically trip over themselves to please as many people still playing as possible, even if the changes are terrible from a game design standpoint (well, except when it comes to class design as dev egos are more important than anything in that area). I don't expect many people here to sympathize with me, either.

/rant

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stromgarde View Post
    This game can barely be called a proper RPG now. The devs only use the bare essentials so it can flow properly.

Was questing tonight on my low level character and saw a level 14 hunter that looked like he was level 100. Apparently a recent change removed even more restriction from mogging. Proper visual equipment progression seems to be something both the community at large and devs don't give a single shit about.

Just another change in a long list of them that makes me care less about this game. I get it though, the game is old as dirt and at this point the devs and suits above them will basically trip over themselves to please as many people still playing as possible, even if the changes are terrible from a game design standpoint (well, except when it comes to class design as dev egos are more important than anything in that area). I don't expect many people here to sympathize with me, either.

/rant
    Nothing has been changed about mog restrictions in a while it was prob just using t3 as the first bracket is 1-60.
    My rogue RIP 2004-2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    No they don’t learn and evidence suggests that. Behavior also doesn’t change and if there is any hope of learning behavior has to change.

Not meaningless declarations easy to say after he regrets offering up evidence he’s a racist.

Deleted
    The scaling happened and you're worrying about transmog? He better look like 100 since the monster he fights will in fact be 100 once he is.

RPG died the moment scaling happened.

What are levels now? What do they mean, what do they do? What is leveling?

Your entire point is based on not liking the way another player interacts with the game. ...

Maybe you should spend more time focusing on your own fun instead of getting bent out of shape over what other players are doing. Especially when it's cosmetic and has ZERO impact on anything.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by trajandreps View Post
    The scaling happened and you're worrying about transmog? He better look like 100 since the monster he fights will in fact be 100 once he is.

RPG died the moment scaling happened.

What are levels now? What do they mean, what do they do? What is leveling?
    Last time I checked gear still has level reqs you gain health talents and spells when you level so what are you trying to say scaling has no bearing on the RPG aspects of the game.
    My rogue RIP 2004-2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    No they don’t learn and evidence suggests that. Behavior also doesn’t change and if there is any hope of learning behavior has to change.

Not meaningless declarations easy to say after he regrets offering up evidence he’s a racist.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    Your entire point is based on not liking the way another player interacts with the game. ...

Maybe you should spend more time focusing on your own fun instead of getting bent out of shape over what other players are doing. Especially when it's cosmetic and has ZERO impact on anything.
    How other players look in the world is calculated into the amount of fun I have. It's a massive open world, I'm not the only one who matters. Think of it as a movie scene, and each character is either an actor or a set piece. If stuff doesn't look right, it takes you out of it.

well the moment they put an RPG element like having to unlock the allied races everyone cried to no end and it was a huge shitstorm so the truth is the majority of players don't even want WoW to be an RPG apparently.

Deleted
    The OP could have been more informative about why "Devs dont give a damn about RPG aspects"

Like removal of any kind of deep customization (gems, talents, reforging, glyphs, templates) which marked the death of hybrid talents and customization
    Or all the classes pruning and gameplay pruning.
    Homogenization of classes.
    Removal of low level class quests.

idk, some more examples.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually there are no RPG rules that I'm aware of that says that low-level characters need to be clothed in rags.

Missed chance to make a valid point about the developers viewpoint about role-playing versus story and gameplay. A shame that the thread focuses on a rather trivial bit of nonsense.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Really scraping the barrel here. Do you expect people to sympathize with you in a meaningful way? I agree that the rpg elements are less and less over the years but if think anyone cares about another players appearance during leveling on the blizzard dev team you really need to unsub. You are clearly frustrated and need a break. That's one the most childish things I've ever heard some one say about this game's faults. Think about how irrelevant that is and have a good laugh tomorrow.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Actually there are no RPG rules that I'm aware of that says that low-level characters need to be clothed in rags.

Missed chance to make a valid point about the developers viewpoint about role-playing versus story and gameplay. A shame that the thread focuses on a rather trivial bit of nonsense.
    Gear improving visually over time when playing RPGs is a staple mechanic. If it was trivial nonsense, it wouldn't be something the vast majority of RPG devs make sure to take into account, so I don't see your perspective here whatsoever. Transmogrification already heavily breaks the rules of realistic gear acquisition, that's why certain restrictions were made in the first place.

I have no idea what you're talking about with the viewpoint about role-playing versus story and gameplay, but if you feel that passionate about it, make a thread? Are Moderators not allowed to start discussions or something?

Be glad Blizzard doesn't go the route of 90% other MMORPG developers who put "coolest" transmogs, outfits and costumes on the cash shop.

Proper visual equipment progression seems to be something both the community at large and devs don't give a single shit about.
    You should have quit in TBC where your epic t1 / t2 was replaced by mismatched greens from hellfire peninsula. And tbh these jumbled levelling clown outfits never really added any "immersion".

How other players look in the world is calculated into the amount of fun I have. It's a massive open world, I'm not the only one who matters. Think of it as a movie scene, and each character is either an actor or a set piece. If stuff doesn't look right, it takes you out of it.
    kim kardashians phone game is for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, you're not wrong, but complaining about what another player looks like rofl don't worry 99% of gear looks like absolute trash in WoW anyway, we're only just now started to get 3D textures.

10+ Year Old Account
    Online games don't make good RPGs.

I think over half of the people in this thread, and in the game, fail to understand that RPG stands for Role Playing Game. We are all playing the role of a hero.

I agree with the OP. There is no possible way a newly appointed Squire could have possibly mustered the strength to defeat a foe that dropped that level 100 bling. The game is getting farther and farther from the immersive fantasy world that this game was when it came out. It's a minor thing to complain about, but all the minor things are adding up to what Warcraft has become today.

I realize most players could give two shits about this, but to some people, it's a big deal.
    Last edited by ablib; 2018-03-10 at 05:46 AM.

That is a problem with YOU though. And expecting the entire game and all its players to conform to your own personal expectations isn't valid grounds for a complaint.

WoW is FULL of ridiculous nonsense, pop culture references, jokes, gags, and all manner of immersion-breaking features. A player making use of a cosmetic option to wear gear appeances that the PLAYER has already unlocked is one of the least of these things. And it's not even like the gear itself is out of place! It's just that YOU feel like it's inappropriate for the level range because of some preconceptions.

Sorry, but this entire argument is based on a faulty premise.
    Last edited by SirCowdog; 2018-03-10 at 06:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I think over half of the people in this thread, and in the game, fail to understand that RPG stands for Role Playing Game. We are all playing the role of a hero.

I agree with the OP. There is no possible way a newly appointed Squire could have possibly mustered the strength to defeat a foe that dropped that level 100 bling. The game is getting farther and farther from the immersive fantasy world that this game was when it came out. It's a minor thing to complain about, but all the minor things are adding up to what Warcraft has become today.

I realize most players could give two shits about this, but to some people, it's a big deal.
    Its only a big deal if you are living in the past though. Since wrath there has been heirlooms that look like raid gear that can be worn at level 1.
    There has not been any changes recently that allows you to wear or transmog gear above 60 when you are below 60, so this is no different than that.

If this bothers you, you are just playing the wrong game.
    This game is not about the visuals of those around you any more. Maybe it was in Classic, but if I'm paying 15 dollars a month it damn sure better be about the quality of the gameplay first and foremost.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Proper visual equipment progression seems to be something both the community at large and devs don't give a...
    It was probably a new Trial of Style transmog.

It throws me out of the RPG aspect when low level characters have bizarre, mismatched equipment. Plus, those low level characters are doing quests to overthrow mighty dungeons and save whole kingdoms. Why shouldn't they look powerful?

Quote Originally Posted by Hey There Guys its Metro View Post
    Its only a big deal if you are living in the past though. Since wrath there has been heirlooms that look like raid gear that can be worn at level 1.
    There has not been any changes recently that allows you to wear or transmog gear above 60 when you are below 60, so this is no different than that.

If this bothers you, you are just playing the wrong game.
    This game is not about the visuals of those around you any more. Maybe it was in Classic, but if I'm paying 15 dollars a month it damn sure better be about the quality of the gameplay first and foremost.

It's ironic that you call someone else childish above, when seeing the world only from your lens, is pretty much the same.

I'm definitely in the gameplay is more important court, but I'm mature and intelligent enough to see the OP's point of view. I can see by your sig, you're not.
    Last edited by ablib; 2018-03-10 at 06:13 AM.