Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    My oldest uses touchscreens and tablets at school. There aren’t even any desktops there now. I really don’t think desktops will continue for much longer. It’s just the way the tech is going.
    Tablets are used for convenience, not functionality. There comes a point where the importance of functionality outweighs that of convenience. Doing the things kids do in school doesn't require the power of a desktop computer, plus tablets are smaller, portable, and don't require installation or repair - they make sense for that application.
    Last edited by oplawlz; 2018-03-10 at 11:59 AM. Reason: clarification
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    Tablets are used for convenience, not functionality. There comes a point where the importance of functionality outweighs that of convenience. Doing the things kids do in school doesn't require the power of a desktop computer, plus they're smaller, portable, and don't require installation or repair - they make sense for that application.
    Here's my question to you? Gaming aside, what kind of functionality you need that portables can't offer? If I'd tell you that you can literally connect to any machine in the cloud that can offer you any OS, applications selection and performance level you desire, why do you need anything more than screen, keyboard and internet connection?

I believe this is where we're going. We are still not quite there, but we are already 80% there pretty much.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Here's my question to you? Gaming aside, what kind of functionality you need that portables can't offer? If I'd tell you that you can literally connect to any machine in the cloud that can offer you any OS, applications selection and performance level you desire, why do you need anything more than screen, keyboard and internet connection?

I believe this is where we're going. We are still not quite there, but we are already 80% there pretty much.
    Editing any form of media efficiently requires FAR more power than a portable can offer, and those requirements are only going up as higher definition media is being consumed. Anything that requires you to run multiple displays for reference/comparison/functionality (such as real time monitoring) reduces the value of a tablet considerably. Basically, jobs that are actually done on a computer, vs jobs that have simply adapted to computers to make them more efficient.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Editing any form of media efficiently requires FAR more power than a portable can offer, and those requirements are only going up as higher definition media is being consumed. Anything that requires you to run multiple displays for reference/comparison/functionality (such as real time monitoring) reduces the value of a tablet considerably. Basically, jobs that are actually done on a computer, vs jobs that have simply adapted to computers to make them more efficient.
    Why you can't do all that on a remote system dedicated for that and have an advantage of being able to do this from anywhere anytime?

The only valid answer would be that you can't connect multiple displays to iPad... yet. The moment "yet" will disappear, there won't be any reasons to not do it that way. So basically a generation or two of tablets until you get this too.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2018-03-10 at 12:18 PM.

Man, so many dislikes.

I guess many people do know?

the thing that pisses me off is the little girl is wearing a helmet while she's riding her bike, then climbs into a tree to hang out on her ipad. NO HELMET. where are her parents?!
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

I thought it was a boy until I read the comments.

We've done dummy terminals, they didn't fare very well. To be fair though, you're correct. Your average person doesn't have any practical need for anything outside of what even phones offer now, but the average person isn't all that particular about things either.

If mobile was going to kill off the enthusiast or content creation PC market, it would have done so by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    Sorry, but if you want a computer for social media and web surfing and consider a desktop - you are doing it wrong.
    That's actually what most people in the US use their 'computer' for actually. Many own a mobile phone or tablet as their only 'computer'.

Even in business environments, I see less and less actual desktops and laptops. Clients, Project Managers and Directors come to meetings with just their phones, Team Leads and Designers use their phones or tablets (only lab techs really use these). Our IT department just has a few kiosks with desktops, the guys in marketing have Surface books, etc.

When I go to other companies the only people I notice using desktops or laptops exclusively or primarily are graphic designers.

Desktops and laptops are not this current generation's primary means of computing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    What you fail to recognize is that computers will grow at the same rate that tablets will, so we will still be having this conversation 10-15 years down the line when computers are still more powerful than a tablet will be, simply because of power consumption. Once we get into quantum computing more then this will be relevant... But at that point people will be wondering what the fuck a phone or a tablet is as well as a computer.
    You assume that peoples' needs will grow exponentially as well, yet in reality people are already bringing along devices that exceed their needs by multiples.

What you say is more the reason to claim that pretty soon small form factor portable devices will be able to replace laptops, just like laptops are eating away desktops. Why? Because you don't need all the power you carry to do the same shit you are doing for years - technology outpaces what people are able to do with it outside very specialized tasks and even that will eventually be taken care of either by cloud evolution or simply by mobile devices reaching power levels that make anything bigger pointless.

My vision of the future is that there won't be any desktops, laptops, tablets and smartphones, because all of that will keep being pushed by smarter, smaller, sleeker and more powerful devices. I imagine that in 2k35 you will be able to do what you do on freakishly powerful desktops today with something like a holo-projecting wristband or some such, just in a same fashion that current smartphones exceed desktops from something as measly as 15 years ago by a metric ton and in 2k50 you may not even need to carry anything on you for that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    That's actually what most people in the US use their 'computer' for actually. Many own a mobile phone or tablet as their only 'computer'.

Even in business environments, I see less and less actual desktops and laptops. Clients, Project Managers and Directors come to meetings with just their phones, Team Leads and Designers use their phones or tablets (only lab techs really use these). Our IT department just has a few kiosks with desktops, the guys in marketing have Surface books, etc.

When I go to other companies the only people I notice using desktops or laptops exclusively or primarily are graphic designers.

Desktops and laptops are not this current generation's primary means of computing.
    This pretty much. I am a bit shocked people do not realize this yet. "lulz dum add wuts computurr lul" - that add simply shows the actual reality that is creeping up on them.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not that I am some rebel there, I too have a plenty powerful desktop, but when I think what I do with it - I could just replace it with good ultrabook with docking station and then slap external GPU on it for absolutely same effect and when I see stuff like Samsung DeX or this Apple add it becomes obvious to me that 5-10 years give or take, I won't even need any laptop at all for the same effect.

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Unfortunately for you, the number one rule in the advertising industry is that sex and controversy sells. Be it positive or negative.

Tried and tested formula.
    It's neither sexy nor controversial... being disliked != controversial

Saw it a few months ago for the first time and just... Very much cringed. So much so that I wanted to take the child's phone, break it open and show her exactly what made it a fucking computer.

It's ignorance like this, bred by lack of self awareness, that drives Apples greed. But hey if you're good at something *shrugs*

- - - Updated - - -

You assume that peoples' needs will grow exponentially as well, yet in reality people are already bringing along devices that exceed their needs by multiples.

What you say is more the reason to claim that pretty soon small form factor portable devices will be able to replace laptops, just like laptops are eating away desktops. Why? Because you don't need all the power you carry to do the same shit you are doing for years - technology outpaces what people are able to do with it outside very specialized tasks and even that will eventually be taken care of either by cloud evolution or simply by mobile devices reaching power levels that make anything bigger pointless.

My vision of the future is that there won't be any desktops, laptops, tablets and smartphones, because all of that will keep being pushed by smarter, smaller, sleeker and more powerful devices. I imagine that in 2k35 you will be able to do what you do on freakishly powerful desktops today with something like a holo-projecting wristband or some such, just in a same fashion that current smartphones exceed desktops from something as measly as 15 years ago by a metric ton and in 2k50 you may not even need to carry anything on you for that.

- - - Updated - - -

This pretty much. I am a bit shocked people do not realize this yet. "lulz dum add wuts computurr lul" - that add simply shows the actual reality that is creeping up on them.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not that I am some rebel there, I too have a plenty powerful desktop, but when I think what I do with it - I could just replace it with good ultrabook with docking station and then slap external GPU on it for absolutely same effect and when I see stuff like Samsung DeX or this Apple add it becomes obvious to me that 5-10 years give or take, I won't even need any laptop at all for the same effect.
    Not realizing that anything with a CPU, RAM and a hard drive is a "computer device" is the first step to failure with your logic. Congrats on business' evolving into the modern era. That still doesn't mean their smart phones are anything but a small, handheld computer.

It's like trying to say that newspaper is not paper because it has writing on it.
    There is absolutely no basis for individual rights to firearms or self defense under any contextual interpretation of the second amendment of the United States Constitution. It defines clearly a militia of which is regulated of the people and arms, for the expressed purpose of protection of the free state. Unwillingness to take in even the most basic and whole context of these laws is exactly the road to anarchy.

Thought it was a guy the entire commercial, rewatched it, guess her name is "Skell." Androgynous people are the new minorities in commercials.

True, but editing 4K video is not a very common job.
    Editing audio on a tablet isn't that hard.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Correct, but you're going to have a hard time getting a forum centered on PC gaming to admit that.
    I also find it interesting that no one is really discussing the primary focus of that ad, which is distinguishing what her tablet does that a "computer" (desktop) does not do.

She's running around with it in one hand or tossing it in her backpack.
    She's using it to take pictures and video and edit them right on the device.
    She's using it to pay for food.
    She's drawing on it.
    She's using it for video chat with her friends.
    She has full Internet on it while she's riding a bus and hanging out in an alleyway.

I'm sure she's heartbroken that she can't do CAD right now without a desktop but that will probably also happen by the time she graduates.
    Help control the population. Have your blood elf spayed or neutered.

It's pants on retarded, no wonder so many of the quality posters here lap it up. Typical apple shit
    Working on my next ban.

Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    Gonna need to see your source on this.
    He probably means smartphone or tablet, but is too indoctrinated by Apple to use the correct words.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Thought it was a guy the entire commercial, rewatched it, guess her name is "Skell." Androgynous people are the new minorities in commercials.
    Lol, I thought it was a boy until I saw the painted finger nails. They really did try to check off as many SJW and hipster check marks as they could with this ad. Considering their target audience is a bunch of yuppies though, it makes sense.

Obviously desktop computers are dead as a technology because video cards are only selling for 75% above MSRP...

poor apple this is exactly what kids in Europe say when asked about Apple stuff .. well except iPhone meaby.

Quote Originally Posted by BrerBear View Post
    I'm sure she's heartbroken that she can't do CAD right now without a desktop but that will probably also happen by the time she graduates.
    Hehe. That's a really funny aside. Good writing style, bro.

Who is apple and do they make PC's?