Page 31 of 92 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Veluren View Post
    Honestly by troll standards the Zandalari are high-cultured enough that they'd fit in the Alliance too, in a different world. Which means the Sethrak fit as well.

The thing about Vulpera is that their aesthetics don't matter too much, they're savage little assholes who will tear someone apart and then play an instrument on their ribcage (paraphrased quest text: "I've used a skull as a boat and turned a Sethrak into a tent-flap"). Thematically, they're a perfect fit for the horde, you know what they say about judging books.

To give a bit more: From what little we see they do have a large, permanent city, that was built with roughly egyptian era techniques (mostly slave labor), and from what we see have a fancy for gold and jewelry, the good faction is also deeply bound in spirituality, while the evil faction isn't. If they become any state of playable, we'll likely see the believer re-absorb the faithless.

The Alliance isn't just about the light, it welcomes all walks of faith who hold to morals and strengths, Sethrak would likely be the odd man out as the race that's getting somewhat hemmed in by an enemy-of-my-enemy situation and having to change parts of their culture (Assuming the Believer faction aren't opposed to ending their slavery practices) to suit their new allegiances, but in writer's circles we call that development and compelling narrative.

Meanwhile in the Horde they'd end up probably stopping their slavery practices anyway, but they'd just be a savage yet High beast man race in a faction full of noble savages as their most defined overall trope.

I'll take them for either faction, but I feel like the story opportunities would be much greater on Alliance.

Also assuming you're the same Skytotem from the post on the official forums (I can't post there), I know being Loa worshippers would be the wild man out, but at this point Chronicles has established that the difference between a Loa and a Wild God is minute, so it's no less off-base than what the Druids and NElves/certain Worgen worship
    1. I'd disagree, the details of the culture itself don't make Zandalari fit with the Alliance.

2. Regardless, they're too cutesy aesthetically.

3. Lots of races on the Horde are spiritual too. Large permanent city isn't that big an issue one way or the other. I'd go so far as to say that the clothes and architecture (admittedly I've only seen the one image with the snake temple) style fit more on Horde than Alliance.

4. Tbh I feel they'd be a good way to bridge the Belfs with the rest of the Horde with that "High beast man" race archetype.

Whereas on the Alliance I feel they'll just be another race added to try and flavor them but ultimately getting sidelined, the way the Worgen and Draenei were initially.

They don't really fit beside Draenei, Nelfs, Humans, or Dwarves.

Whereas they'd look pretty natural beside the Zandalari, Darkspear, or even Orcs and Tauren.

5. Yep I'm the same Skytotem.

I know they're the same type of creature, but the distinction is still meaningful imo.
    Twas brillig

Deleted
    there are two groups/clans of sethrak the good ones that follow the guidance of there loa goddess and then the sethrak that abandon there beliefs and follow under the command of there emperor korthek (these guys are the ones who have slaves) in the alliance there beliefs are just as wild as the horde like,
    night elfs: elune/wild gods
    draenei/human:light/naar

also the loa are just another name for wild gods also there pandaren have the four celestials which are the same type of creatures as the wild gos and the loa.

7+ Year Old Account
    [QUOTE=slumberingserpent;49034970]
    Quote Originally Posted by Darktbs View Post
    More importantly, what kind of Flirts/Jokes they would have and what would be their racial mount?

there have been some pics and data that shows us a sethrak riding a trilobite, there has not been a land crawling snake mount yet.

sethrak male flirt: my heart is like a desert and you are my oasis.
    blizzcon literally had them riding them, and ingame you can see them riding them on the alpha.. itsn otl ike its some rare thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Quote Originally Posted by slumberingserpent View Post
    there are two groups/clans of sethrak the good ones that follow the guidance of there loa goddess and then the sethrak that abandon there beliefs and follow under the command of there emperor korthek (these guys are the ones who have slaves) in the alliance there beliefs are just as wild as the horde like,
    night elfs: elune/wild gods
    draenei/human:light/naar

also the loa are just another name for wild gods also there pandaren have the four celestials which are the same type of creatures as the wild gos and the loa.
    As I've said, I know that Loa are the same type of beings as the celestials and Hyjal demigods, but I still feel the name has a meaningful distinction as Ssethralis originated as a troll deity.

Moreover, Between the worgen kind of taking the main 'wolf' motif, darkspear favor snake spirits, so it feels like the Horde always loses its thematic animals.
    Twas brillig

Quote Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
    As I've said, I know that Loa are the same type of beings as the celestials and Hyjal demigods, but I still feel the name has a meaningful distinction as Ssethralis originated as a troll deity.

Moreover, Between the worgen kind of taking the main 'wolf' motif, darkspear favor snake spirits, so it feels like the Horde always loses its thematic animals.
    I feel like it's interchangeable between snakes and raptors, not to mention Darkspear's (or at least Vol'jin's) Guardian deity is the only one we know to not have an animal form in Bwonsamedi.

They definitely have a strong totemic connection to reptiles, but which reptile seems to bounce around.

I dunno, my want for them to be Alliance is mostly because I could see -huge- potential for them as the Alliance's answer to the forsaken as a race that's on the moral edge of what the faction stands for, while still adhering to its tenants. But that's also putting maybe a bit too much credit towards Blizzard's writing skills.

I feel like it's interchangeable between snakes and raptors, not to mention Darkspear's (or at least Vol'jin's) Guardian deity is the only one we know to not have an animal form in Bwonsamedi.

They definitely have a strong totemic connection to reptiles, but which reptile seems to bounce around.

I dunno, my want for them to be Alliance is mostly because I could see -huge- potential for them as the Alliance's answer to the forsaken as a race that's on the moral edge of what the faction stands for, while still adhering to its tenants. But that's also putting maybe a bit too much credit towards Blizzard's writing skills.
    I will agree the Darkspear's writing has lacked proper focus.

My issue is, they already tried 'edgy alliance race' with the worgen and now with the Dark Irons too. Sethrak aren't going to contribute anything those groups don't already.
    Twas brillig

Deleted
    This is my hope as well. I could picture the Sethrak being the race that does what others in the Alliance, even the Worgen, would find truly abhorrent for the sake of winning the war. Though we do have the Bloodfangs back in BfA which implies the Alliance is more than willing to turn a blind eye to things like eating sentient races as those guys are considered the most bloodthirsty of the Worgen and are more than willing to devour the corpses of their enemies. Infact the Bloodfang and the Sethrak would probably get along quite well.

I imagine the Sethrak to be more 'practical evil', like poisoning water supplies of Horde aligned villages and towns. That act itself is still abhorrent since you're targeting civilians but at the same time it is war and killing off your allies support structure is a good way to cripple an offensive.

I will agree the Darkspear's writing has lacked proper focus.

My issue is, they already tried 'edgy alliance race' with the worgen and now with the Dark Irons too. Sethrak aren't going to contribute anything those groups don't already.
    Yeah, my sort of counterpoint to that is that... well, they kinda failed, Worgen were never anything more than angry british humans in fursuits. And Dark Iron that aren't Twilight Hammer cultists are pretty inoffensive. By virtue of being a race of slavers and cannibals who are trying to change themselves, they'd have an edge to them the story really can't ignore, because if they don't progress they end up being a huge elephant in the room.

Edit: Meanwhile on Horde, the extent of their racial story progression would amount to "Will you stop with slavery" "Sure" "And eating Vulpera?" "Noncommital shrug" "Good, now go kill humans for us."
    Last edited by Veluren; 2018-03-11 at 08:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrMechano View Post
    This is my hope as well. I could picture the Sethrak being the race that does what others in the Alliance, even the Worgen, would find truly abhorrent for the sake of winning the war. Though we do have the Bloodfangs back in BfA which implies the Alliance is more than willing to turn a blind eye to things like eating sentient races as those guys are considered the most bloodthirsty of the Worgen and are more than willing to devour the corpses of their enemies. Infact the Bloodfang and the Sethrak would probably get along quite well.

I imagine the Sethrak to be more 'practical evil', like poisoning water supplies of Horde aligned villages and towns. That act itself is still abhorrent since you're targeting civilians but at the same time it is war and killing off your enemies* support structure is a good way to cripple an offensive.
    I feel that with the Worgen and Dark Irons the Sethrak being the 'dark' member of the Alliance would be redundant, and doesn't mesh with their aesthetics well.
    Twas brillig

Deleted
    I feel that with the Worgen and Dark Irons the Sethrak being the 'dark' member of the Alliance would be redundant, and doesn't mesh with their aesthetics well.
    Yeah the Worgen, they're not really...dark...apart from the Bloodfang pack. As for the Dark Iron being 'dark' they're usually, as Veluren mentions, fairly inoffensive when not in Ragnaros worshipping mode or Twilight Hammer culty mode. A bit rude and a bit gruff but otherwise they're like normal Dwarves.

Plus you're already getting AU Orc clans AND it looks fairly likely you're getting Vulpera while it looks like the Alliance are probably going to get more humans...it is selfish but I kind of want the Alliance to at least get something cool.

Yeah the Worgen, they're not really...dark...apart from the Bloodfang pack. As for the Dark Iron being 'dark' they're usually, as Veluren mentions, fairly inoffensive. A bit rude and a bit gruff but otherwise they're like normal Dwarves.

Plus you're already getting AU Orc clans AND it looks fairly likely you're getting Vulpera while it looks like the Alliance are probably going to get more humans...it is selfish but I kind of want the Alliance to at least get something cool.
    You uh, might wanna replay the dwarf starting zones and look over some of the Vanilla dark iron stuff.

1. I hate the AU clans, it should be MU mag'har using those aesthetics.

2. I don't like the Vulpera, I see them as a negative

3. Alliance should get Furbolg, Jinyu, Mantid, Ethereals, or Arakkoa
    Twas brillig

7+ Year Old Account
    You uh, might wanna replay the dwarf starting zones and look over some of the Vanilla dark iron stuff.

"i don't like the allied races we're getting therefore i want even more"

Quote Originally Posted by FestiveBen View Post
    More that I feel allied races should be thematically appropriate for the factions and not added to satisfy some transitory flavor-of-the-month desire for 'balance'
    Twas brillig

Deleted

Yeah got to go with Festive Ben on this one and

Quote Originally Posted by FestiveBen View Post
    That is kind of what you come across as.

Besides those were Dark Iron Dwarves mentioned...they're under the control of the Twilight hammer cult, the quest line where you out the ambassador makes that abundantly clear.

Also you know you can RP as an MU Maghar right? There is literally no difference between the AU one and the MU one. They have the brown skin option.

Yeah got to go with Festive Ben on this one and

That is kind of what you come across as.

Besides those were Dark Iron Dwarves mentioned...they're under the control of the Twilight hammer cult, the quest line where you out the ambassador makes that abundantly clear.
    1. Even if you see it that way, does that necessarily mean I'm wrong?

2. Some of the most recent stuff in the Dwarf starting zones were influenced by the twilights hammer yes, but do you imagine those influences would disappear overnight even if they're 'freed' enough to join the Alliance?
    Twas brillig

If Blizzard decided to give Sethrak females the mammalian trait of breasts, I could see a way to include them....enlarged venom sacks.

The females are deadly.

10+ Year Old Account
    when? when we get Lolpera and all the other joke races that have no place in wow.

lets get the core races first, like broken, wildhammers, highelves, furbolgs, ogres, arakkoa, and such.

and then we can start with the joke-races... but i guess void elves make my point moot.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snes View Post

I'VE BEEN WRONG THIS WHOLE TIME! IT LOOKS PERFECT!

I shall become a furry and join the crusade of kicking and screaming until we get what we demand!!
    So your shining example of why they will be playable is a helm that literally looks at the ground when they have it equipped? Nice try bro!

I'll admit this opinion is really fucking petty but I would be heartbroken if the first non-mammalian playable race was Alliance and not Horde.
    One of my primary draws to the horde is their exoticism, the dark chocolate to the Alliance's vanilla. (Not that there is anything wrong with vanilla icecream btw, a lot of people forget vanilla is "standard" because of its popularity as a flavour.)
    While I'm all for diversifying the Alliance roster to make them appeal more to me and maybe get me to finally roll an alliance character.... it feels like the wrong faction to put that mile-stone of non-mammalian playable race.
    But yeah... I'll admit there is some serious petty bias involved in my opinion.
    "These are Allied Races, these aren't Sub-Races. There's no direct associated Race or "Parent Race" or anything like that" -Ion Hazzikostas, Blizzcon 2017 Q&A

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    So your shining example of why they will be playable is a helm that literally looks at the ground when they have it equipped? Nice try bro!
    Erm...that wasn't his attempt at showing why they would be playable...you do know sarcasm is a thing right or do we really have to put /s in posts all the time these days?

Unless you too are being sarcastic, in which case I am a victim of my own hubris!