Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Games that you absolutely love but can't stand to play again

Greetings champions! Good to see you, as always.

Lately, I've been thinking a lot about games that I love, but can't stand to play again. One example is Doom 2016. I absolutely think that DOOM 2016 is the best game from 2016, and I finished it in two sittings, but I can't play the campaign again without feeling tired - which is strange, given the fact that I replay the entirety of Doom 1 and 2 multiple times a year (I love those games!).

Which games you can't stand to play again, even if you like them a lot?

Starting to feel that way about WoW. Just had a 6 month break and coming back I'm not sure if I'd call it fun being back and doing the same things.

Older Resident Evil games (0-3)

Love them but the controls and camera suck.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Silent Hill 1-3. I love those games to pieces, even if the controls are godawful in the first game. It's not the controls that do it, it's that I don't need the delve into that physical representation and journey through depression. At least for the second game. Third game is also really good, just...don't need it.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

That ****ing intro man.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Majority of JRPGs fall into this category for me. I just can't force myself to spend 100 hours more in game i already finished. Especially with huge backlog.

10+ Year Old Account
    Starcraft 2.

I love it, and can watch tournaments for hours and I marvel at the skill of some of the pro's.
    Playing it myself tho, I belong in the league below bronze. I tried and tried but I'm that bad at it.

The first example that comes to mind is EVE Online. I think I like the idea of the game, more than the actual game.

15+ Year Old Account
    The 3d zeldas
    Ff10 and really anything you can't skip cutscenes in.

FFXIV

/10char
    If we could all sit and talk without demonizing one another and attempt to understand the opposite point of view, the collective world would be a better place. Mental bigotry is the worst of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Majority of JRPGs fall into this category for me. I just can't force myself to spend 100 hours more in game i already finished. Especially with huge backlog.
    Have to agree with this.

Persona 3, 4 and 5 were all fantastic games, yet everytime I browse my library for a game to play for a bit, I look at those and go, nah not feeling it.

I look at my massive tales of game collection and go I really loved a lot of these games, but not really feeling trying any of them.

Spore.

I love the idea of colonizing planets, establishing trade routes with other empires or raging galactic wars.
    But the universe is one big place, and traveling around it is endless, even in the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokeybones55 View Post
    Spore.

I love the idea of colonizing planets, establishing trade routes with other empires or raging galactic wars.
    But the universe is one big place, and traveling around it is endless, even in the game.
    Spore was such a giant dissapointment for me, it started out so well, but then it just fell flat on it's face, i hope that at some point a sequel will be made

Witcher 3. One of my favorite games to date but crunched too many hours with my playthrough of the game and 2 xpacs, doing all of the side quests and POI.

I can't do it again.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Every single game I finished (FFX, Dishonored, Life is Strange, to name a few). I already experienced the story, I know what's going to happen, yet the feeling from the new playthrough isn't the same anymore. Nostalgia is just too strong. MMORPG are exempted to this rule, since they can't be finished.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Being bad is the first step to gittin gud, before anyone was gud, they were bad. Not everyone is as equally skilled at the start but everyone can learn to git gud. - Ythisens
    Tofinish list : NOTHING CAUSE I FINALLY DID IT.
    Todo list : S;G0, New Game, Erased.

I'm getting this way with my MMOs. The nostalgia hit isn't doing it for me. I also do it with games I have beaten. If I beat a game and I want to come back it is usually only to platinum the game or play on the hardest difficulty. If the platinum trophy is too ridiculous (I'm looking at you Tales series....what? I'm terrible at JRPGs) then I usually won't replay it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Witcher 3. For some reason, every single time I try to start the game again for the DLCs... I just can't. I don't understand why, it just doesn't click.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archmage VoidElf4Life View Post
    Witcher 3. For some reason, every single time I try to start the game again for the DLCs... I just can't. I don't understand why, it just doesn't click.
    I was in that exact same spot. When I got to the point in the main story where you can't go back, I decided to go check out the DLC's. I began blood and wine, but was unable to continue because I just envisioned dealing with boring side quests that are tedious. I decided I'd focus on the main story of the DLC and not get distracted. Before I knew it, I was hooked after doing the intro quest and zoomed through the rest of it. Went back and did the a few of the side missions for the rewards. Rinse and repeated for Heart of Stone and enjoyed both. Both DLC's are equally good in their own ways.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Scornedfury View Post
    Starting to feel that way about WoW. Just had a 6 month break and coming back I'm not sure if I'd call it fun being back and doing the same things.
    Well you most certainly chose the wrong time to come back. This is the point where most people take a break and wait for the next xpac. There really isn't a whole lot to do other than farm the same content over and over just to replace all the gear you worked for in a matter of hours.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alan Wake... Played it once, loved, it, never played it again. Not sure why that is, I just have no desire to despite liking the game. :P

Skyrim too. See below for the same reason :P

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Witcher 3. One of my favorite games to date but crunched too many hours with my playthrough of the game and 2 xpacs, doing all of the side quests and POI.

I can't do it again.
    I can relate. Witcher 3 is pretty much up there with one of my favourite games of all time now, but I cannot play it again, unless life gives me 1 year holiday off work :P
    Last edited by Orby; 2018-03-12 at 11:23 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Pillars of Eternity. Really liked the game and blasted through my first playthrough having tons of fun, but all my attempts to get a second character going haven't made it past Caed Nua for some reason.

Witcher 3 is kind of the same, I played the game twice, finished the DLCs once, now I play it for 15 minutes, look at how pretty it still is, then close it. I must have downloaded and then uninstalled it three times now.