Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Where is Mal'Ganis?

as far as i know mal'ganis hasn't shown himself since the initial invasion on the broken shore. he plays an imporant part of lore and and there is simply no way blizzard just forgot about him. during the wc3 campaign, mal'ganis serves the lich king and succeeds in his task to turn arthas to darkness, but is betrayed and killed soon after.

i could imagine that mal'ganis has returned to azeroth seeking vengeance upon the lich king and is plotting somewhere behind the scenes slowly gaining more influence, likely disguised as someone else. i don't think that this someone is a major lore character like sylvanas or anduin because i that would make for a bad narrative and also i guess he must be able to defeat the victim in order to disguise himself as it.

he is more likely to pick a character that is not in the spotlight, but still has an influential role to someone with power, like some kind of advisor. either that, or a character that has been newly (re)introduced to the lore and is quickly gaining stature of some kind, for example as an oppressor to an authority (desolate council?).

previous lore indicates that dreadlords usually interract with the human or undead faction so that may be a good starting point for speculation. i don't think there has been any notable remarks from any charcater during legion in regards to the lich king, no? perhaps in the some of the order hall campaigns?

i know that i will definitely keep one eye open during battle for azeorth for characters that mention the lich king in some way or another.

so what do you guys think?
    Last edited by NoJitter; 2018-03-15 at 10:40 AM.

No idea. Really dig Mal'Ganis though! I hope he fool us all and send us to the abyss. Unsure about the Lich King part though, would he still be interested now that Arthas is dead? I think we would be his main targets for revenge if that's still his thing!
    Well met!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iem View Post
    Man even if Blizzard gave players bars of gold, they would complain that they were too heavy.

I always thought of him as someone so vengeful that he would even betray the legion if it means that he can take vengeance.

He's prob hanging out w/ Jaraxxus and others somewhere...

5+ Year Old Account
    Farming azerite with his pickaxe, in his goblin costume, waiting for the perfect moment to turn Stormwind into Stratholme 2.0 with nuke zombies and thus making Anduin Arthas 2.0.

Or the writers never played warcraft3 so they forgot he exists.

People really have to get over their lich king obsession.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudas View Post
    Farming azerite with his pickaxe, in his goblin costume, waiting for the perfect moment to turn Stormwind into Stratholme 2.0 with nuke zombies and thus making Anduin Arthas 2.0.

I'm pretty sure he was one of the demons Gul'dan summoned before Varian exploded. A few well known demons were there that never made an appearance, kinda sad I wanted to see Jaraxxus

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chappyzilla View Post
    I'm pretty sure he was one of the demons Gul'dan summoned before Varian exploded. A few well known demons were there that never made an appearance, kinda sad I wanted to see Jaraxxus
    Do we have a name for the dreadlord Anduin killed in that comic?

Quote Originally Posted by Chappyzilla View Post
    Pretty sure he was on pre-7.2 Broken Shore.

OT: I think he's going to try to rally the Legion and became a warlock of at least one faction that will arise from the Legion. Jaraxxus might lead another, with neither him nor Mal'Ganis willing to share power.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

7+ Year Old Account
    Do we have a name for the dreadlord Anduin killed in that comic?
    Hmm not to my knowledge

The Lightbringer Highlord Hanibuhl's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think they forgot about him

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Bolvar/LK2.0 had the Player DK and the Ebon Blade (DK npc faction) doing some very shady shit in Legion. The DK campaign also reveals to the player that the honorable Bolvar of old no longer exists. The Bolvar of new is as ruthless and scheming as they come.

I think they will reintroduce Malganis in whatever expansion they unveil the end result of Bolvie's machinations. Malganis and the scourge are too closely related for one to ever feature prominently without the other.

Edit:
    I would not put it past Blizzard to see Malganis orchestrate (yet another) rise of the Scarlet Crusade.
    Last edited by Nihilan; 2018-03-15 at 03:10 PM.

For the record, the last two times we saw Mal'ganis were on the Broken Shore in Legion, and heading up the Scarlet Onslaught as Barean Westwind in Wrath of the Lich King.

In Wrath of the Lich King, he vowed to get revenge on the Lich King, but that was before Arthas was defeated, so we don't know if he hated the position or the people who had held it at the time. In Legion, there's really nothing we can get from that moment aside from him still being alive. Considering that mass demon summoning was not acknowledged anywhere else (which was glaring in the cutscene), I'm still pretty sure it was a fairly last minute thing added for shock value, and has no real lore behind it for now.

I hope to see him back, but without the Legion, and maybe without the Scourge. The Dreadlords have a backstory independent of the Legion, and I want to see that developed on its own. Some of the other named ones might be permanently dead now, but Mal'ganis can still head up such a story.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your kind will never change, and I will never stop fighting you.

Damn it, Greymane! As your High King, I order you to purge this city!

Quote Originally Posted by NoJitter View Post
    and and there is simply no way blizzard just forgot about him
    Why not? There are tons of bits of lore and characters missing from the climax of Legion that Blizzard either forgot about or decided wasn't worth messing with. No reason to suspect Mal'ganis is any different.

He exists in the same realm as rescuing Neptulon and C'thun coming back to life. As in ideas that have been cast aside. Maybe they'll bring him back later but don't hold your breath.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokubas View Post
    In Wrath of the Lich King, he vowed to get revenge on the Lich King, but that was before Arthas was defeated, so we don't know if he hated the position or the people who had held it at the time. In Legion, there's really nothing we can get from that moment aside from him still being alive. Considering that mass demon summoning was not acknowledged anywhere else (which was glaring in the cutscene), I'm still pretty sure it was a fairly last minute thing added for shock value, and has no real lore behind it for now.
    these are valid points. i just hope they atleast have a plan for him and didn't just keep him to invent a story on the fly for whenever they need a bad guy for something.

Quote Originally Posted by Alidfe View Post
    Why not? There are tons of bits of lore and characters missing from the climax of Legion that Blizzard either forgot about or decided wasn't worth messing with. No reason to suspect Mal'ganis is any different.

He exists in the same realm as rescuing Neptulon and C'thun coming back to life. As in ideas that have been cast aside. Maybe they'll bring him back later but don't hold your breath.
    well, mal'ganis was present during the broken shore scenerio as if to say "we haven't forgotten about him". also was there any other notable characters present that haven't been dealt with in legion yet? not that i know of, but i could be wrong.

Deleted
    Reporting to his Void Lords masters that the corruption of Sargeras and his Burning Legion, using them to destroy the Titan Pantheon or at least severly weaken them, destroying countless worlds and their inhabitants, thus weakening the defence of the Universe against the onslaught of the Minions of the Void Lords was a total success. Now with Sargeras, Kil'jaeden and Archimonde out of the picture, the Void can also easily corrupt a lot of demons of the Burning Legion. And Mal'ganis of course wants to be their leader as an reward.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hanging out with Me'dan in the "forgotten by Blizzard" bin.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Likely just died off screen. Remember the whole world was under attack. He likely died leading an attack on a city or settlement.
    Aye mate

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Hanging out with Me'dan in the "forgotten by Blizzard" bin.
    Speaking that name will get you the same response the Overwatch team has to speaking about Titan