Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    What is the Chinese 'social credit' system?

If you post something positive about China on a foreign forum you get plus points but if you post something negative you get minus points. The score also affects your family and people you know, if you associate with someone with a low social score, your score is lowered too.

Banning people from trains is just the start.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...-idUSKCN1GS10S

SHANGHAI (Reuters) - China said it will begin applying its so-called social credit system to flights and trains and stop people who have committed misdeeds from taking such transport for up to a year.
    Passengers wait to board trains ahead of the Chinese Lunar New Year, at Nanjing Railway Station in Jiangsu province, China January 31, 2018. China Daily via REUTERS

People who would be put on the restricted lists included those found to have committed acts like spreading false information about terrorism and causing trouble on flights, as well as those who used expired tickets or smoked on trains, according to two statements issued on the National Development and Reform Commission’s website on Friday.

Those found to have committed financial wrongdoings, such as employers who failed to pay social insurance or people who have failed to pay fines, would also face these restrictions, said the statements which were dated March 2.

It added that the rules would come into effect on May 1.

The move is in line with President’s Xi Jinping’s plan to construct a social credit system based on the principle of “once untrustworthy, always restricted”, said one of the notices which was signed by eight ministries, including the country’s aviation regulator and the Supreme People’s Court.

China has flagged plans to roll out a system that will allow government bodies to share information on its citizens’ trustworthiness and issue penalties based on a so-called social credit score.

However, there are signs that the use of social credit scoring on domestic transport could have started years ago. In early 2017, the country’s Supreme People’s Court said during a press conference that 6.15 million Chinese citizens had been banned from taking flights for social misdeeds.
    Obey the state.
    Don't talk about Tienemen, Tibet or forced labor camps. Or freedom of the press. Or freedom at all really.

Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    China has a huge rudeness problem. Things we take granted like lines (or standing in the queue for you EU folks), personal space, not hacking up snot, etc are completely ignored over there. Then there's the Chinese tourists. Do some googling on youtube and the webs. Lots of culture differences. I just have no idea how this thing will be enforced.
    Exactly..

Look at this Chinese girl saving a Car Park for her family in Flushing, Michigan USA, last month.

You are not supposed to guard a damm car space with your body... talk about rude.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/rea...e78080cc1e818e

THIS dashcam footage captures the moment a furious row erupted in a car park when a woman ran to save a space for her family as a couple tried to park in the same spot.

In the clip the woman is seen standing defiantly in the space and waving her arms, mouthing: “I was here first” as the female passenger in the car screams: “Are you serious? You’re not even in a car.”

When the woman still refuses to move, the irate male driver sounds his horn, shouting: “You f***ing serious right now, woman? Get out of here.”

To which the woman continues to protest: “I was here first,” accompanied by more pointing and arm waving.

The man is then heard yelling: “I’m gonna stand here, I got time.”

A few seconds later another, older woman walks into the dash cam frame and starts shooing the car away, gesturing for it to move back, as the driver again toots his horn and shouts: “You think you can just walk into a space? Get out of here.

The standoff finally only comes to an end when another driver offers the couple a different space.

Since the footage — filmed in a carpark in Flushing, Michigan — was posted on YouTube on Saturday it has been viewed more than 50,000 times, sparking outrage and fierce debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Roflmao. You still think nothing has influenced your opinions as you ran from country to country as an immigrant before settling in a pretty awful country, objectively speaking, and railing against immigrants. Good luck learning about reality at some point.
    Sure, there's been influence after I've considered alternative viewpoints and noticed they had better outcomes. That doesn't mean my opinions are formed by propaganda. I didn't run from country to country.

Singapore isn't a pretty awful country. It's in fact a pretty decent one.
    Last edited by Freighter; 2018-03-16 at 08:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    Obey the state.
    Don't talk about Tienemen, Tibet or forced labor camps. Or freedom of the press. Or freedom at all really.
    Taiwan is independent of China!!

Quote Originally Posted by Humpty Doo View Post
    Exactly..

Look at this Chinese girl saving a Car Park for her family in Flushing, Michigan USA, last month.

You are not supposed to guard a damm car space with your body... talk about rude.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/rea...e78080cc1e818e

THIS dashcam footage captures the moment a furious row erupted in a car park when a woman ran to save a space for her family as a couple tried to park in the same spot.

In the clip the woman is seen standing defiantly in the space and waving her arms, mouthing: “I was here first” as the female passenger in the car screams: “Are you serious? You’re not even in a car.”

When the woman still refuses to move, the irate male driver sounds his horn, shouting: “You f***ing serious right now, woman? Get out of here.”

To which the woman continues to protest: “I was here first,” accompanied by more pointing and arm waving.

The man is then heard yelling: “I’m gonna stand here, I got time.”

A few seconds later another, older woman walks into the dash cam frame and starts shooing the car away, gesturing for it to move back, as the driver again toots his horn and shouts: “You think you can just walk into a space? Get out of here.

The standoff finally only comes to an end when another driver offers the couple a different space.

Since the footage — filmed in a carpark in Flushing, Michigan — was posted on YouTube on Saturday it has been viewed more than 50,000 times, sparking outrage and fierce debate.

LOL 1 rude Chinese person = all Chinese people are rude. Yes no one else fights over parking spaces.

Stop claim8ng your opinions haven’t been imfluenced by outside sources then.
    I've never said I haven't changed my opinion after considering alternative viewpoints.
    Yes, it could most assuredly mean that, and we’ve seen evidence of such things in you just shrugging at human rights abuses.
    Because human rights doesn't mean anything. They're just a nice thing to talk about in theory. What are you doing about the ongoing genocide in Myanmar? Oh, you're sitting in your home pretending to care so much about human rights violations. I don't buy into that stuff. If you care about it, you enforce it. The lack of enforcement from the international community is quite telling.

I didn't care about human rights when I studied in Australia either, which was before I went to Singapore, did they influence me through propaganda to not believe in it?

Yes, you did run from country to country.
    Studying in a country and moving to another country to work isn't running from country to country.
    And, finally, yes Singapore is an awful country. Objectively speaking. You enjoy it because you fit in and can hate people comfortable in the knowledge that your chosen country thinks the same way.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    So china wants to become a full blown shit hole dictatorship now? I knew this was creeping up, but I hope teh Chinese tell their government to fuck off.
    Contrary to your opinion, the average chinese persons life isn't particularly interesting to the authorities.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilhen7 View Post
    I actually agree with this part lol. They should have penalty's for such things.
    Yeah, but it's a Communist party. We all know that the main goal of a system like this would be to make life difficult for dissidents by giving negative social score for harboring wrong opinions, and thus have them associated with criminals who get punished for a reason.
    Last edited by mmocf7a456daa4; 2018-03-16 at 08:52 PM.

You really are a ridiculous person. You claim not to care about human rights but we know that’s bullshit. You only discount human rights when they’re being applied to groups you have bigotry towards. Do everyone a favor and go live in NK, where your family is originally from.
    You don't need human rights to have laws in your country. You can have a fully functional country without having ratified the human rights conventions. Human rights won't change a thing unless they're enforced.

Proof you need to go back to school.
    I need to go back to school because you can't read?
    And you literally just said you don’t care about human rights(idk why you’re bringing up the hrc), now you claim you do. Which is it?
    I didn't say I care about human rights. Try reading?

I brought up the conventions because if they're not ratified it's even more of a talk about nice things to have than something the country has said they will enforce than if they have ratified but is not enforcing.
    Oh, and how many countries have you lived in in your life?
    South Korea, Australia and Singapore.

Edit: Not gonna respond more to you since this is just going way off-topic.
    Last edited by Freighter; 2018-03-16 at 09:05 PM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    Taiwan is independent of China!!
    Ah yeah, that too. Don't mention that.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimjinx View Post
    Living anywhere does in no way shape or form mean you understand how it the internal Chinese politics work. Especially if you've lived there for such a long time, getting reliable Information about China from within is extremely difficult and dangerous.

Secondly falun gong is not a movement, it's an activity, it combines meditation with breathing exercises. It was a state sponsored thing before the Chinese government started putting these people in internment camps for no apparent reason. Just because you met some loonies abusing it for personal gain and making it something that it isn't don't mean the millions of people who got kidnapped and killed deserved it.

Last time I was in Mongolia there was nothing special about their girl's drinking habits. They got drunk just fine. And the men over there where very wary of foreigners picking up "their" gals just like in almost every place you can go on this earth.
    someone that lives there knows more than u who dont live there, u dont see the daily life there while they do, i would trust someone who lives there instead of u who dont live there

I can see why people who live in China don't want to criticize the "social credit" system, their social credit score will drop and it will put their Chinese friends and family at risk.

The social credit system is really an excellent way to manipulate a billion people into behaving the way you want.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

15+ Year Old Account
    @bungeebungee Your sources gives a general nice outlook, but includes a lot of speculation on how it will be in practice. But as summarized the current system basicly acts as "If you do shitty things, you are most likely to do other shitty things. So we ban you from certain things"

Most of the sources I use now is either in Chinese or are not open to the public since there is so much uncertainty around the system.
    For instance last week we where watching a debate among top CCP members surrounding the system, and are analyzing the content and arguments being presented. One of the things that are getting heavy restistance in the party atm is the factor "if your friends/social circle should decide your score"

But yeah, discussing this topic with people that lacks the underlying context, understanding of the culture and ofc understanding of the langugage(which most newspapers are lacking) is kinda like 对牛弹琴

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I can see why people who live in China don't want to criticize the "social credit" system, their social credit score will drop and it will put their Chinese friends and family at risk.

The social credit system is really an excellent way to manipulate a billion people into behaving the way you want.
    Criticize it atm does nothing for your score. Unless you are talking about the optional one that has no impact other then to be a bragging tool.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deldavala
    Your sources gives a general nice outlook, but includes a lot of speculation on how it will be in practice.
    As far as I know, speculation is most of what is broadly available. I just tried to pick something that gave a rundown of general points in English that was close in time to the original article. Since you're actually studying this and getting to see some specific discussions, it was interesting to hear some of the other stuff. Thanks!
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    As far as I know, speculation is most of what is broadly available. I just tried to pick something that gave a rundown of general points in English that was close in time to the original article. Since you're actually studying this and getting to see some specific discussions, it was interesting to hear some of the other stuff. Thanks!
    Reuters is a very reputable source, probably the top ten of reputable sources in the world.

Who do you want me to believe? News sources that have every reason to stay on the good side of the Chinese regime or a reputable Western news source?

And you and the other Chinese on this forum have every reason to stay on the Chinese regime's good side too, especially with this new social credit system.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    You don't need human rights to have laws in your country. You can have a fully functional country without having ratified the human rights conventions. Human rights won't change a thing unless they're enforced.
    This is a very confused set of ideas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Just in case you're asking how can anyone put up with this? Simple.

Get. Used. To. It.

Deleted
    Hilarious seeing these expats defending communist dictatorships. I suppose you liberal leftists has always been way too comfortable with authoritarian communist systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Banning people from planes and trains that have misbehaved in the past would be a great thing here too tbh.

The rest is something that would only fit a country like China.
    ye, no way in eventually turns political (guess which side will dominate the process)

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    This is a very confused set of ideas.
    No, laws have existed longer then the idea of human rights.