Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Going news/media "free" for a month. Would you try this?

30 days of not watching the news or reading any media (so also no forums, or reddit, etc.). Would you try this?

I recently had a lunch with a guy that did this and he claims it improved his life. After the 30 days, he would only scarcely read anything news-related and only if it's was of actual concern to him.

The biggest gains here are that you:

- Don't worry about things anymore that don't actually concern you to begin with;
    - Don't get frustrated about stupid things other people do and say;
    - Don't get influenced into thinking in a certain direction by others;
    - Get a better outlook at life and see life as it really is for you personally;
    - Can focus all your energy and thoughts into things that excite you and help you forward in life;

I think I could try this. Could you?

It might do my mental state some good, but I am adamantly opposed to intentional ignorance. If you're just talking about skipping opinion pieces like forums and op eds, I think that could be good. If you're talking about ignoring actual news... I see that as problematic and irresponsible.

Did he move into a bunker for a month? Because I don't think this is as easy as you make it out to be. I don't go looking for news - but everywhere I go news is shoved down my throat.

Deleted
    I am doing this since the macron election last year. Never felt so good in my life. I am still discuting important law and stuff with my boss/dad but that's it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    Did he move into a bunker for a month? Because I don't think this is as easy as you make it out to be. I don't go looking for news - but everywhere I go news is shoved down my throat.
    We have like 6 giant TVs in our office playing the 24hour news channels.. I can see 2 from my desk, i'd have to close my eyes at work to avoid it lol

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    There are days I already don't hear or read any news because I am busy with work or other activities, so how hard can it be really?
    Just dont go to news sites, disable push messages from news apps and don't watch news shows on the tv.

How can you hear/read news when you are busy doing something else?

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    I base my votes on such information, its not possible to be an informed voter without it.

I would agree to a point , however it seems the majority of actual news offered for our consumption at this time IS news intertwined with opinion,agenda etc.
    So you really can't avoid opinion based news from most any source(other than maybe the weather or traffic ).
    This is also problematic in that it doesn't "just present the facts" and let the consumer make their own mind up, it slants the presentation or appearance guiding the consumer to a certain desired conclusion , thus influencing the mind.

As for the Q posed by the OP ,
    Sadly no I can not do this as my job is heavily married,influenced to peoples opinions and news.

10+ Year Old Account
    Being informed is important but how much do you really miss out on if you watch news like twice a week instead of every day?

Not a whole lot honestly, major events and scandals have ways of reaching you other way and honestly constantly watching news that is often depressing and debates that are a mixture of that and infuriating is something that really can make you focus on more important things in life that are right in front of you.

Due to the hours i work i often have to make a choice either watch news and debates that follow or do something else for those 1,5 to 2 hours that i might enjoy more.

I've intentionally stopped listening to news for a month or more and it did remove some stress from my life. These days I read news which is a lot less stressful than watching it on TV or YouTube.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    I base my votes on such information, its not possible to be an informed voter without it.
    Better be uninformed and form your opinions on the go, than being misinformed and follow someone else's opinions.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Some of these comments nailed it.

I have already done something like that but not for 30 days but a couple weeks. I think the most "damage" done is on FaceBook and other Social Media (Twitter). What I did was Unliked every page that discussed politics. If they brought it up, I unliked/unfollowed. For a while my feed was pretty good but then the President does something so dumb (when does he not?) that it triggers everyone in the country.

The best thing a person could do is just avoid reading comments section of anything. That's where the really dumb things are being said.

I don't watch TV at all. Only netflix on my Smart TV in the bedroom. So avoiding news on TV has been done for years.

I just recently subscribed to a newspaper and it feels so much better than reading on social media where things can be faked/unverified. Anything without source, I question.

2018/2020 can't come soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Better be uninformed and form your opinions on the go, than being misinformed and follow someone else's opinions.
    Both these scenarios have the same outcome, uninformed. It is better to be informed and then form an opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    You can't form proper opinions without information, I never said anything about misinformation and having your opinions from others.

Or option C - be informed of what is going on and base your opinions on correct information.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Najnaj View Post
    Both these scenarios have the same outcome, uninformed. It is better to be informed and then form an opinion.
    Uninformed is better than misinformed. An uninformed person can get informed. A misinformed person will not change their mind easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    You can't form proper opinions without information, I never said anything about misinformation and having your opinions from others.
    All media is misinformation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Algy View Post
    Or option C - be informed of what is going on and base your opinions on correct information.
    That requires an unlimited knowledge of what is and is not a correct information.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    30 days of not watching the news or reading any media (so also no forums, or reddit, etc.). Would you try this?

I recently had a lunch with a guy that did this and he claims it improved his life. After the 30 days, he would only scarcely read anything news-related and only if it's was of actual concern to him.

The biggest gains here are that you:

- Don't worry about things anymore that don't actually concern you to begin with;
    - Don't get frustrated about stupid things other people do and say;
    - Don't get influenced into thinking in a certain direction by others;
    - Get a better outlook at life and see life as it really is for you personally;
    - Can focus all your energy and thoughts into things that excite you and help you forward in life;

I think I could try this. Could you?
    Biggest losses here are that you:

- Don't understand what is going on in the world.
    - Don't learn about ideas / thoughts outside of your bubble (already a challenge considering algorithms pushing certain feeds/recommendations to people).
    - Don't develop empathy for others due to your increasing ignorance of the challenges/issues others face.
    - Get a much more narrow outlook at life due to the tunnel-vision you develop.

Sorry, I don't see those gains outweighing the losses...not even close.

That requires an unlimited knowledge of what is and is not a correct information.
    Oh, you are one of those people. Carry on then, bless your heart.

I occasionally take prolonged breaks from all kinds of media, social or otherwise, to (for the lack of a better word) cleanse myself. Never more than three or four days tops, if even that. I've noticed it does wonders for my general mood.

10+ Year Old Account
    News is a hot topic at lunch breaks and during small talk before meetings so I'm going to hear it all anyway. I may as well read up on what really happened so I can present strong counter arguments to the fanatical left wing elements in our office.