Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    ^^ It certainly isn't going to continue on some arbitrary reason made up by random fanbois/bootlickers on forums...

People don't think logically or real-world around here. Blizz doesn't give a rat's ass about you or me or their customers, except to the extent they can be further plucked for profit. Classic servers and all the rest bear that out if you look at how it profits them as a corporation.

As the poster above said, if they spend less on litigation to combat private servers, then having official Classic is what they'll do. It's the same way they look at "banwaves" when the truth is they've looked the other way on various types of cheating & exploiting for years - until and unless it starts to hurt their profits.

Quote Originally Posted by He-man View Post
    OK so I would say the general consensus is that blizzard caved to the demands and announced classic for popular approval because so many people where talking about them for about a year prior to the announcement.

However!

I think this just isn't the case. They have released re-mastered or updated patches for all their old games to make them work on current systems and I really do think classic was announced to mark a end of wow development.

sure legion seems to be popular people like it its twitch streamed a fair amount however I do think the stopping of growth at the start of WOTLK to the start of the decline at the start of CATA has continued. the trend of where the current subs would be would be very very low and very possibly lower than the private servers combined total which is around 1.2mil last I checked.

sure you can argue why stop now that expansions make money and sell even if subs drop drastically after and that's true but at some point blizzard will stop releasing expansions for the very rule that they cancel more games than they release and only want to release the best quality content and at some point the fact players are not staying around would imply that content is bad even if its not and blizzard puts huge effort into it.

I think for the face of the company and to not let it die out slowly wow will eventually stop getting expansions and I personally think that BFA is very possibly the last major expansion with only patches updates remakes of old dungions/raids possible in the future after woods.

I don't think classic will "kill" wow retail I honestly think it will probably increase the users on retail realms but I just think the decision to add classic servers is so odd and so iconic of a "end of a era" kind of decision that I really can see it being the "last" big wow release.

blizzard has historically released about 1 new game every year since the start of the 90s and with no new announcements of projects currently in the works I really think 2018 will be BFA 2019 will be classic and 2020 will be some new game that very likely could be a new MMO.

I just think its over for wow and blizzard wouldn't release classic if they intended to continue working on retail expansions.
    Except for a few things. Blizzard has stated in the past, if they have 100,000 players, they would make xpacs for those 100,000 players. They also released a report on prestige levels for 2.3 million active accounts, almost double the population of every private server. Taking into account this is active accounts, it's safe to say those numbers don't reflect people that possibly only log on a day or 2 a week that continue to play retail.
    You also overlook the fact that some of the population of private servers also contain a hefty chunk of retail players as they also play them.
    WoW is not dead, and while it might be dying, it seems to be going at a pretty steady pace and will probably be around a while.

hey guys, u all know that game blizzard has that has made them BILLIONS of dollars and continues to make them truckloads of money every month.... yea, they want to stop making all that money, i can just feel it, trust me.

10+ Year Old Account
    whoa hold your horses there bud, aren't classic servers technically the BEGINNING of WoW? I wouldn't call it the end, that's for sure.
    Last edited by Tom007p; 2018-03-19 at 05:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hey There Guys its Metro View Post
    I see it as the complete opposite. They have been trending wow back towards early design philosophies that might resemble classic and tbc more than wod or cata.
    They are releasing classic due to popular demand but also because they know many many people will return to it even though they won't end up sticking around. When they leave blizzard will get them into bfa and they will find it's a remarkably better product than what the game looked like when they left and it actually resembles the game they returned for more than they expected.

If anything this marks the start of the future of wow, especially with how successful the esports scene has been for blizzard due in no small part to the MDI.
    considering they just made personal loot compulsory, i can't say i really believe you, so i'm not going to.

Yes OP, Classic will kill WoW. that was always the intention, people may fight against it now, but they already lost, the goal was always to reset the game. The new game is awful, most players just grind old locations, old resources and relive the past anyway, but now the past is going to be current content again. Nobody is going to care about retail once that happens.

The only people that still care are the people upset that they grinded out 24k achievement points collecting every mount, every item and every pet in the game and nobody is going to be around to care. Sad right? they literally only want people on the game to surround them and compliment THEM for their non-achievements and worrisome time investment -- so sad.

All these players have done for the last decade is ignore players that have quit, taking part in banning and censorship of those with genuine criticism or complaints "If you don't like WoW just leave!" type mentality spawned this (also done on MMOchampion) discussing things like the player numbers is actually banned, it's pretty horrific. turns out spending 10 years telling people to leave your game and not fixing any issues can backfire...who knew?

Same thing happened in RS3, oldschool runescape has more players than new runescape does. New runescape despite being graphically polished, having better infrastructure, transmog, dungeons and all of these features is LESS POPULAR than the "nostalgia game" amazing right? turns out you guys can actually be WRONG.

if you think the same won't happen with WoW, you're just deluded.
    Last edited by JohnnyMccrum; 2018-03-19 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    Hmm nah, no it's not.

Hmm yeah, something like that.
    I'm sure these millions of classic players are going to be just fine with supporting the development costs of a dead game for the 10% of the total player-base that remain on it? Given that they will eventually be the vocal majority, I doubt it.
    Last edited by JohnnyMccrum; 2018-03-19 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    Dead game? We have been through this million times already since Burning Crusade.
    Yeah we have, I'm glad we're finally coming to the end though.

yeah man definitely didn't say they were hiring a whole new team for it when it was announced or anything

entire art team really need to switch off any new expansions to do nothing on classic

smart af

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by He-man View Post
    OK so I would say the general consensus is that blizzard caved to the demands and announced classic for popular approval because so many people where talking about them for about a year prior to the announcement.

However!

I think this just isn't the case. They have released re-mastered or updated patches for all their old games to make them work on current systems and I really do think classic was announced to mark a end of wow development.

sure legion seems to be popular people like it its twitch streamed a fair amount however I do think the stopping of growth at the start of WOTLK to the start of the decline at the start of CATA has continued. the trend of where the current subs would be would be very very low and very possibly lower than the private servers combined total which is around 1.2mil last I checked.

sure you can argue why stop now that expansions make money and sell even if subs drop drastically after and that's true but at some point blizzard will stop releasing expansions for the very rule that they cancel more games than they release and only want to release the best quality content and at some point the fact players are not staying around would imply that content is bad even if its not and blizzard puts huge effort into it.

I think for the face of the company and to not let it die out slowly wow will eventually stop getting expansions and I personally think that BFA is very possibly the last major expansion with only patches updates remakes of old dungions/raids possible in the future after woods.

I don't think classic will "kill" wow retail I honestly think it will probably increase the users on retail realms but I just think the decision to add classic servers is so odd and so iconic of a "end of a era" kind of decision that I really can see it being the "last" big wow release.

blizzard has historically released about 1 new game every year since the start of the 90s and with no new announcements of projects currently in the works I really think 2018 will be BFA 2019 will be classic and 2020 will be some new game that very likely could be a new MMO.

I just think its over for wow and blizzard wouldn't release classic if they intended to continue working on retail expansions.
    There’s still millions playing the game. The drops in players happen predictably when the current content has been consumed and people wait for new additions. Then, everyone comes back and there’s a spike back to the usual numbers.
    I can’t agree with your assessment on this at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    There’s still millions playing the game. The drops in players happen predictably when the current content has been consumed and people wait for new additions. Then, everyone comes back and there’s a spike back to the usual numbers.
    I can’t agree with your assessment on this at all.
    correct me if i'm wrong but 2-3 million isn't the "usual numbers"

and that was a long time ago, it's safe to say numbers are much lower now than 2-3 million given the downtime, the poor choices etc.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMccrum View Post
    correct me if i'm wrong but 2-3 million isn't the "usual numbers"

and that was a long time ago, it's safe to say numbers are much lower now than 2-3 million given the downtime, the poor choices etc.
    What number has it consitently been the last 3 expansions? Assuming there are sources.
    Mind you, this game is what, 13 years old? That it declines and that people get bored with it seems natural at this point. I don’t understand what the doomsayers are expecting. That an MMO can keep 10 million players for 13 years? I don’t know a single one that’s had that many players for even half that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    What number has it consitently been the last 3 expansions? Assuming there are sources.
    Mind you, this game is what, 13 years old? That it declines and that people get bored with it seems natural at this point. I don’t understand what the doomsayers are expecting. That an MMO can keep 10 million players for 13 years? I don’t know a single one that’s had that many players for even half that time.
    Oh that's right, sorry I forgot these expansions were so boring they had declines of 6 million players within two months of launch.

Oh, and there's no sources anymore, mostly because the official Blizzard sources during WoD were so low that they decided to stop releasing the information because it was making them look bad. censorship at it's finest!

wait...doesn't that mean that the game is bad?

and they have a *gasp* point?

Deleted
    Oh that's right, sorry I forgot these expansions were so boring they had declines of 6 million players within two months of launch.

Oh, and there's no sources anymore, mostly because the official Blizzard sources during WoD were so low that they decided to stop releasing the information because it was making them look bad. censorship at it's finest!

wait...doesn't that mean that the game is bad?

and they have a *gasp* point?
    What’s with the attitude? Sheesh. I asked for some numbers and that you explain it more to me and I get this.
    Not only that, but you ignore what I say so you can be angry and bash, just further proving to me that I’m right in what I say.
    You fail to respond to the questions maturely, you fail to provide evidence and numbers politely asked for, and instead you flip on me and give me toxicity. And if there aren’t any sources, YOU shouldn’t be stating numbers as a fact when you can’t prove them. But logic and reason seems to have been thrown out the window now.
    We are just talking about how a game inevitably declines. Chill out. It’s not the end of the world.

15+ Year Old Account
    Or not. Especially since Classic Servers IS WoW, they aren't seperate.

Classic servers are a fad and will be their own end.

Most people will realize how much of a waste of time they require just to have a little bit of actual fun. Running back in a raid and re-clearing trash mobs after they respawn. Yeah, such emerging and fun gameplay. Wooo...farming 3 hours to prepare for every 1 hour of raiding....wooo...

Every death is a start of a new life. Hope they will get it right this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    Or not. Especially since Classic Servers IS WoW, they aren't seperate.
    BfA players wish that this is true.

it isn't. one games dies so the other game thrives.

15+ Year Old Account

There is no reason that Classic Servers would end WoW since for Classic Servers there is no real updates. Only the regular WoW is getting content updates.

Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    There is no reason that Classic Servers would end WoW since for Classic Servers there is no real updates. Only the regular WoW is getting content updates.
    It is? are mission tables and skin colours content?

is the sky falling chicken little?

- - - Updated - - -

not sure what you are talking about. if classic does well that will likely bring other players in. I have a feeling that classic wow will be tied to owning BFA expansion.