Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Are People Supportive of Your Gaming Hobby/Addiction?

If I play for 2 minutes, my mom says I've been playing all day, so no.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    My Mother and Grandmother are.

My dad isn’t.

I've played wow before I met my wife. I told her very clearly that I enjoy raiding and it is my hobby to raid. Her compromise was not raid every single night... lol. I told her not to worry since it is only 2-3 nights. Smooth sailing with communication.

Now I raid in a 4 hour/week guild and we're at 5/11M. If you want in on this low raid hour count, hit me up. We're always recruiting to bolster our roster.

People have to remember it is not their job to make other people happy. Nobody can do that. That's fake news.

10+ Year Old Account
    Same as Weeps,
    I met my girlfriend after I began to play wow so I told her its my hobby i like it and wont stop playing cause I like it a lot so it was okay for her

I met my wife on WoW. Married 5 years now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well as a fully grown adult, my parent don't concern themselves with my personal hobbies/life. As long as it doesn't cause me harm severely which doesn't happen because I always control myself.

Yes because my family understands it's a passion and I also have many others outside of game collecting and gaming.

Although I doubt they are that focused on my interests as a fully grown adult.

Is this a thread for kids?

Because as an adult you should be making your own decisions and not caring who "supports" you. If anyone in my family or friends circle even tried to talk to me about having an issue with it I would in the most kindly way tell them to fuck off. I don't care about your hobbies, don't worry about mine unless they overlap.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post

Because as an adult you should be making your own decisions and not caring who "supports" you. If anyone in my family or friends circle even tried to talk to me about having an issue with it I would in the most kindly way tell them to fuck off. I don't care about your hobbies, don't worry about mine unless they overlap.
    Pretty much this.

If anyone cares so much about my hobbies then well go for it. Only wasting your own time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    If I play for 2 minutes, my mom says I've been playing all day, so no.
    It's tolerated. There is only one opinion I care about, and that is of my fiance. Beyond that, if people have concerns, that is their problem. I'm not hurting anyone, I work my full time job, I pay all the household bills, and I have other hobbies as well.

If I want to binge game from 10am to 5am that is my choice, =)
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

No and I don't really care. My wife is, my family and hers aren't. I'm 32, not healthy for me to give a shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    they don't care.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really care if anyone is. I don't do it for their approval or pleasure.

This is true... and not true, it depends on your age/position and how much time consuming is your hobby.

Going fishing once a week for half a day is not perceived in the same way of playing almost every day for 2-3 hours in the evening. Especially if you have a family, your partner won't simply accept you will basically "disappear" every evening (after not seeing each other all day because of work), in the long term some compromises will have to be found.

Of course marrying another vg addicted could be a great plus, but 90% of us are not that lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by chiddie View Post
    Going fishing once a week for half a day is not perceived in the same way of playing almost every day for 2-3 hours in the evening. Especially if you have a family, your partner won't simply accept you will basically "disappear" every evening (after not seeing each other all day because of work), in the long term some compromises will have to be found.
    Yet in addition to that half day fishing once a week, there's not a stigma attached to disappearing to another room to watch sports for 2-3 hours in the evening.

Quote Originally Posted by chiddie View Post
    This is true... and not true, it depends on your age/position and how much time consuming is your hobby.

Of course marrying another vg addicted could be a great plus, but 90% of us are not that lucky.
    Yes because playing video games for 2-3 hours at night is totally different then watching sports, netflix, soap operas or going out to movies/restaurants/clubs/bars for that same period on a per day average

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Yet in addition to that half day fishing once a week, there's not a stigma attached to disappearing to another room to watch sports for 2-3 hours in the evening.
    You must have missed all those 90s movies where the guy loses the girl because hes too busy watching the "game" and never appreciated the family life!

OT: I find video games still have a negative stigma attached, however its less and less with the opposite sex and more to do with people that think video games are just for kids

My familly knows I'm a gamer, but thats fine because everybody is a gamer at some point. My older brother plays Massive MMO, like Eve Online, my little sister is a big RPG fan (she can speedrun Chrono Trigger (SNES) better than I never could). Even my father, he's turning 68 this year, his nickname on Steam is Harkonnen, can't be more badass than that. (Big Sci-Fi fan and like slow paced/Mystery/puzzle games like The Myst (all of them), Amerzone, Syberia, etc).

My friends know I play WoW and that Im never available on Wednesday/Thursday night and they are ok with it. The gaming community grows older and some of them are gamers themselves, so we understand each other.

As for relationship, my ex was not into videogame... at all. And thats difficult (It didnt work out, not that much because of video game, but she didnt understand it, even if in the end, it was the same as her being out all night playing volleyball with her volley club, but for her it was not the same, even if we were both not available because we were playing a game.) The best match is to have a girlfriend playing or understanding it, at least. But my previous 2 girlfriend, one was a gamer (liking Japanese scripted games) and the previous one accepted it, so it was fine, and she knew that if I wanted to quit the game for that night, she was just coming naked and started to... *censured*

As for work I just don't mention it. 2 colleagues/friends of mine are gamers themselves (playing Star Trek Online together, and other stuff), except a few trusted employees, they don't know that Im a gamer. Mostly because its none of their business.

Overall, people of my generation, which I call the Nintendo generation (1985) all grew up with a console and "evolved" along the way. With E-Sport rising as a new professional business (even streaming as a lot makes a living out of it), gaming is now part of life and is more accepted in general.

My wife played since pretty much day 1 of Vanilla. I started in BC. We met in high school and after high school we got to know each other over wow. We're both raiders but at different levels. Excluding work we both game whenever we are awake. She plays LoL, Ark, and WoW and I play BL2(3 when it comes out :O) and WoW. We never had to have a conversation about spending time together, I know her raid times and she knows mine and neither of us would plan to do something on those times and expect the other to be available. I'd tell her to kill herself and she'd tell me to get the fuck out the room. #trueLove.
    Last edited by Drusin; 2018-03-20 at 08:30 PM.
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

Yes because playing video games for 2-3 hours at night is totally different then watching sports, netflix, soap operas or going out to movies/restaurants/clubs/bars for that same period on a per day average
    Infact it's not different at all. Having high time consuming and "by myself" hobbies does not match with a family life, in the long term.