Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BrerBear View Post
    What is this bullshit about Oscars becoming too political now?
    They’ve been famously political for decades, which is one reason I’ve kept watching them. It’s practically why the documentary categories exist.

What’s changed is that conservatives can no longer stomach facing their horrible truths and need to retreat to the safety of Fox News propaganda.
    Isn't that supporting the OPs point though? Annual viewership was down 19% while cord-cutting in general has only been dropping around 1-2%.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Yeah I think a lot of self-proclaimed US liberals are still coming to terms with liberalism. For example liberalism cant give you an argument that business people lobbying politicians and political campaigns is an issue. Representation for me but not for thee is not liberalism.
    We should probably stop using the word Liberal, as it doesn't really mean the same group of people it used to mean. Progressives are the real cancer on society, not Liberals. Since they both occupy the left, albeit varying wildly on authoritarianism, we tend to lump them together. The Liberals of my youth were for free speech, equality, lifting up the little guy, and giving people second chances. While I disagreed with them on policy, I could respect their positions. They were a very "mom" type of movement, in the Democrat party.

Today's Democrats are more like your crazed nutty aunt, who hates everyone and everything. There isn't a very loving, or "mom" vibe coming from that side these days.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    We should probably stop using the word Liberal, as it doesn't really mean the same group of people it used to mean. Progressives are the real cancer on society, not Liberals. Since they both occupy the left, albeit varying wildly on authoritarianism, we tend to lump them together. The Liberals of my youth were for free speech, equality, lifting up the little guy, and giving people second chances. While I disagreed with them on policy, I could respect their positions. They were a very "mom" type of movement, in the Democrat party.

Today's Democrats are more like your crazed nutty aunt, who hates everyone and everything. There isn't a very loving, or "mom" vibe coming from that side these days.
    There's a reason for my Location.

What happened to the tolerant left? Being burned too many times by the right. You get what you deserve.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Today's conservatives are dropping off bombs at people's door steps, shooting up a church in N.C. and Texas. Today's conservatives are shooting up schools in Florida, and driving a car into a group of people they disagree with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    Today's conservatives are dropping off bombs at people's door steps, shooting up a church in N.C. and Texas. Today's conservatives are shooting up schools in Florida, and driving a car into a group of people they disagree with.
    I'm sorry that you feel all the violence in the world is causes by your political opposites. It's pretty sad people have given up on society, and are taking stances like this. By this logic, half the US is a murderer, which is a pretty strange world view.

I'm sorry that you feel all the violence in the world is causes by your political opposites. It's pretty sad people have given up on society, and are taking stances like this. By this logic, half the US is a murderer, which is a pretty strange world view.
    I'm sorry that you can't come to grips that your side is using violence to kill mass amounts of people, all while crying about 'liberals'.
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

You literally just tried to paint the same fucking picture:

"Progressives are the real cancer on society, not Liberals."

Once again, your hypocrisy is showing.

I'm sorry that you can't come to grips that your side is using violence to kill mass amounts of people, all while crying about 'liberals'.
    My side has killed no persons who are undeserving, as I am on the side of justice, not mob rule. Calling me a murderer, because some crazy person I never met murdered someone, is TEXTBOOK McCarthyism. GG

My side has killed no persons who are undeserving, as I am on the side of justice, not mob rule. Calling me a murderer, because some crazy person I never met murdered someone, is TEXTBOOK McCarthyism. GG
    So the innocent children at school, the 9 black people sitting in church in N.C. , the others in Texas were all 'deserving' ?

I never accused you of murder, maybe you should go back to school and learn reading comprehension.

So the innocent children at school, the 9 black people sitting in church in N.C. , the others in Texas were all 'deserving' ?

I never accused you of murder, maybe you should go back to school and learn reading comprehension.
    No, I am just not of the side of monsters who murder, unlike your McCarthyist claims. I am on the side of law an order. People who murder will never be "my side". So kindly move along now, and take your wild accusations elsewhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, I am just not of the side of monsters who murder, unlike your McCarthyist claims. I am on the side of law an order. People who murder will never be "my side". So kindly move along now, and take your wild accusations elsewhere.
    Do you get a “mom” vibe from your side?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Do you get a “mom” vibe from your side?
    No. I get a very strong "dad" vibe from my side. Obviously....

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Isn't that supporting the OPs point though? Annual viewership was down 19% while cord-cutting in general has only been dropping around 1-2%.
    Yes, I do suspect that some of the drop in viewership is due to politics. Some is due to the nominees, no Avatar or Titanic crap this year. Some is cord-cutting. Some is that the Internet has replaced broadcast TV and magazines as the place to see celebrities.

I don’t think Trump’s core supporters were ever big Oscar watchers. Not a lot of crossover between Duck Dynasty and art awards.
    But if any conservatives are fleeing from that show, it’s the “cultured” ones who quietly know how vile Trump is even though he’s giving them tax cuts and Supreme Court appointments they wanted. They just don’t like having their faces rubbed in the horrifying compromise they made to get them by watching him get the ridicule he so richly deserves.
    Help control the population. Have your blood elf spayed or neutered.

Weird, they give me a mass-murdering vibe. Grown men needing a gun to leave their own homes to feel safe, then want to cry about safe places. Oh yeah, they also give me a hypocritical vibe.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Historically you're wrong. Business care about the bottom line. How do you think the civil rights movement started? When a small % of the population refused to use services. Money talks, your bullshit walks.
    Have you ever heard the phrase "When you appeal to everybody you appeal to nobody"?

10+ Year Old Account
    That’s strange... I didn’t realize people had sort of kinship to political parties... Maybe @Allyboba was right about tribalism...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

I don't think ratings of award shows or NFL has much of anything to do with political views. They would be declining regardless.

Award shows are fucking pointless and always have been. It's having more of an impact on ratings nowadays because people have more options in spending their time and there's a larger variety of entertainment. Fewer and fewer people are consuming the content that gets nominated for awards. This is only going to increase over the next few decades. I see the evidence first hand when my younger family members visit (15 and younger). They still watch some TV shows and movies, but they spend significantly more time with other kinds of media like youtube channels for gaming, makeup, toy unboxing etc...

Also, the NFL has a ticking clock on its relevance. Football is still very popular in the US, but it will decline and eventually be replaced. There are several reasons for this that we are all familiar with. Everything from too many commercials to long term brain damage. Fewer people will bother watching games and even fewer young people will be allowed to play, thus shrinking the size of the NFL.
    Last edited by Blur4stuff; 2018-03-21 at 10:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    That’s strange... I didn’t realize people had sort of kinship to political parties... Maybe @Allyboba was right about tribalism...
    He's a woke independent my dude, he has no political party.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yet conservative individuals tend to do relatively well financially and there are few in prison. I think you should be a bit more worried about Democrats turning to crime and more of them ending up in prison.
    Last edited by PC2; 2018-03-21 at 11:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tijuana View Post
    no, i am just not of the side of monsters who murder, unlike your mccarthyist claims. I am on the side of law an order. People who murder will never be "my side". So kindly move along now, and take your wild accusations elsewhere.
    horse.... Shit