Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

None RTS Warcraft character

I have been thinking for a long time about this topic.

Most characters in WoW are not new and already been established in the old RTS Warcraft games, characters such as, Thrall, Lothar, Cairne, Gul'dan, Arthas, Illidan, Deathwing, etc etc.

So yeah most of the characters we see in WoW were originally from either the old RTS games or the old novels books. So the question is why we don't have a lot of interesting characters that been established in WoW? and still alive? the closest thing we had was Wrathion which had a lot of potentials but now I guess they had no idea what to do with him. Then we had Kairoz which was interesting and was kinda the catalyst for Infinite dragonflight but then he died quickly in the short story event pre WoD and we see his orcish form corpse in Nagrand WoD. Nazgrim was cool but then he died in SoO and now he is one of the four horsemen for the deathknight questline in Legion expansion he kinda became pretty minor imo not that he was super major character in the first place but yeah he had potentials.

So yeah maybe I am missing something but do we really don't have any new fleshed out interesting character that been established in WoW instead of old RTS games or the old novels and still alive?
    Last edited by Velshin; 2018-03-21 at 10:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    There aren't many. And they're on a rapid surge of purging WC3 characters aswell. At this point, we'll just have a bunch of Lor'the-who? (old meme now really) without properly replacing the ones that they off leaving a void in the narrative a lot of the time.

ahem.....

Bolvar Fordragon, Katrana Prestor/Onyxia, Nefarian, C'thun, Yogg Saron, Varian Wrynn, Anduin Wrynn, Matthias Shaw, Bishop Benedictus, Fandral Staghelm, Broll Bearmantle, Valeera Sanguinar, Moira Thaurissan, Bran Bronzebeard, Magni Bronzebeard, Velen, Liadrin, Lor'Themar, Rommath, Halduron Brightwing, Thassarian, Koltira, Darion Mograine, Alexandros Mograine, Nathanos Blightcaller, Varok Saurfang, Dranosh Saurfang, Garrosh, Nazgrim, Hamuul Runetotem...

all of Pandaria

and i could go on. WoW introduced a ton of more, and most of them are far more interesting then those few added in the RTS games.

If you only look for the "big ones" MMOs is the wrong genre for that

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Enrif View Post
    ahem.....

Bolvar Fordragon, Katrana Prestor/Onyxia, Nefarian, C'thun, Yogg Saron, Varian Wrynn, Anduin Wrynn, Matthias Shaw, Bishop Benedictus, Fandral Staghelm, Broll Bearmantle, Valeera Sanguinar, Moira Thaurissan, Bran Bronzebeard, Magni Bronzebeard, Velen, Liadrin, Lor'Themar, Rommath, Halduron Brightwing, Thassarian, Koltira, Darion Mograine, Alexandros Mograine, Nathanos Blightcaller, Varok Saurfang, Dranosh Saurfang, Garrosh, Nazgrim, Hamuul Runetotem...

all of Pandaria

and i could go on. WoW introduced a ton of more, and most of them are far more interesting then those few added in the RTS games.

If you only look for the "big ones" MMOs is the wrong genre for that

Thanks haha well most of these characters are dead now. Also I am not talking about the minor characters, I am talking about a fully fleshed out characters like Arthas, Thrall, and stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    Thanks haha well most of these characters are dead now.
    No, in fact almost all of them are alive and well... Only 10 of those listed are dead, out of 30, that's not even half.

Also I am not talking about the minor characters, I am talking about a fully fleshed out characters like Arthas, Thrall, and stuff.
    You mean like Bolvar Fordragon, Katrana Prestor/Onyxia, Nefarian, C'thun, Yogg Saron, Varian Wrynn, Anduin Wrynn, Matthias Shaw, Bishop Benedictus, Fandral Staghelm, Broll Bearmantle, Valeera Sanguinar, Moira Thaurissan, Bran Bronzebeard, Magni Bronzebeard, Velen, Liadrin, Lor'Themar, Rommath, Halduron Brightwing, Darion Mograine, Alexandros Mograine, Nathanos Blightcaller, Varok Saurfang, Garrosh, Nazgrim, Hamuul Runetotem?

If you believe those characters aren't "fleshed out" I recommend you go read their wiki pages.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2018-03-21 at 11:22 PM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    We had garrosh and look how it ended.

The only interesting non-rts character left now is mudmug.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    No, in fact almost all of them are alive and well.
    The old gods are basically dead all of them. Fandral died in the FL, Dranosh died in the wrathgate cinematic in wotlk, Garrosh died in WoD, Nazgrim I already mentioned him in the first post, Alexandros Mograine AKA Ashbringer died during vanilla Nax was one of the four horsemen, Onyxia died by Varian, Nefarian died during vanilla and died again in Cata, the rest that I didn't write down yeah alive but I still do think most of them are dead.

10+ Year Old Account
    but I still do think most of them are dead.

Well you're wrong. Go check their wiki pages.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well you're wrong. Go check their wiki pages.
    Man I am talking about the list that is mentioned by the other poster here what is wrong with you? haha.

10+ Year Old Account
    Man I am talking about the list that is mentioned by the other poster here what is wrong with you? haha.
    So am I, go check their wiki pages, you are wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    So am I, go check their wiki pages, you are wrong.
    Well I know that these are alive but most of them as I said either minor characters like Shaw or got introduced in a comic and novels first, before coming in WoW.

I am talking about character that appeared ingame not a novel or a short story at first and still alive, such as Wrathion is a good example and had a lot of potentials but yeah not sure what will they do with him now.

I have been thinking for a long time about this topic.

Most characters in WoW are not new and already been established in the old RTS Warcraft games, characters such as, Thrall, Lothar, Cairne, Gul'dan, Arthas, Illidan, Deathwing, etc etc.

So yeah most of the characters we see in WoW were originally from either the old RTS games or the old novels books. So the question is why we don't have a lot of interesting characters that been established in WoW? and still alive? the closest thing we had was Wrathion which had a lot of potentials but now I guess they had no idea what to do with him. Then we had Kairoz which was interesting and was kinda the catalyst for Infinite dragonflight but then he died quickly in the short story event pre WoD and we see his orcish form corpse in Nagrand WoD. Nazgrim was cool but then he died in SoO and now he is one of the four horsemen for the deathknight questline in Legion expansion he kinda became pretty minor imo not that he was super major character in the first place but yeah he had potentials.

So yeah maybe I am missing something but do we really don't have any new fleshed out interesting character that been established in WoW instead of old RTS games or the old novels and still alive?
    Plenty of them available. Also, lore tourists always refer to Arthas as the pinnacle of character design...

As for why Blizzard's struggling to strike balance:

Player 1: - Why don't they make new characters and lore?? Are they really out of ideas??
    *Blizzard creates an entire expansion with new lore and new characters introduced*
    Player 2: - OMFG talk about writers pulling this stuff out their ass, what happened to using established lore and characters???

Can't win with this community. :d

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Plenty of them available. Also, lore tourists always refer to Arthas as the pinnacle of character design...

As for why Blizzard's struggling to strike balance:

Player 1: - Why don't they make new characters and lore?? Are they really out of ideas??
    *Blizzard creates an entire expansion with new lore and new characters introduced*
    Player 2: - OMFG talk about writers pulling this stuff out their ass, what happened to using established lore and characters???

Can't win with this community. :d
    Haha indeed! also you forgot about player 3 : Blizz stop retconning please!

Well we have to keep the story moving, time marches forward and all. We can't just keep making everyone immortal and never introduce new interesting characters.

Yrel? Who? Nah man, Turalyon.

The Nightborne leaders were a recent success, because we had a significant amount of time with them during Legion. Occuleth for Warchief.

Haha indeed! also you forgot about player 3 : Blizz stop retconning please!
    They haven't really done much of that since the Chronicle. So i guess Player 3 got his wish already?

Warcraft is producing a lot of characters, they’re just competing for attention with figures who have had up to ten years of development before WoW was even released.

You can’t have a special moment like Sylvanus’s Lament of the Highborne Quest without a decent amount of foundational lore.

Was Zul in the RTS? He’s very interesting.

10+ Year Old Account
    minor characters like Shaw

such as Wrathion is a good example
    Shaw has literally had more character development than Wrathion has...

10+ Year Old Account
    Shaw has literally had more character development than Wrathion has...
    Maybe as an alliance player yes, because of his influence in the S;17, but for Horde he was barely or did anything significant or active until now of course.