Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    No, they can't add every combination of words in every language. It's their game and their rules. Deal with it or go play something else.
    If a name is flagged for a change that name should be added to the database of names not allowed and all current characters with that name flagged for a change as well. Over the long term, there will be much less names getting flagged if flagged names are no longer usable.

Otherwise, you get a friend of mine with the name Sumdumho, gets flagged for a name change and is allowed to choose Sumdumho again. That's on blizz to take care of if they want names not used, make them not usable.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanklord View Post
    Being honest, if the word "Spank" is innopropriate, it should be banned then shouldn't it? Cause clearly LORD isn't the bad part of the name is it?
    Actually
    That incorporates vulgar language or which are otherwise offensive, defamatory, obscene, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable
    Spank can fall into vulgar in my book, not that I'd report it but if a GM asked my opinion...

Also
    Belonging to any religious figure or deity
    Lord can be inappropriate as well

There are lots of things in the TOU that are against the rules

B. Rules Related to "Chat" and Interaction With Other Users. Communicating in-game with other Users and Blizzard representatives, whether by text, voice or any other method, is an integral part of the Game and the Service and is referred to here as "Chat." When engaging in Chat, you may not:

(i) Transmit or post any content or language which, in the sole and absolute discretion of Blizzard, is deemed to be offensive, including without limitation content or language that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, hateful, sexually explicit, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable, nor may you use a misspelling or an alternative spelling to circumvent the content and language restrictions listed above;
    When you guys type "wtf" you're breaking the rules

If Blizzard says you're breaking the rules then you are

source: Blizzard TOU http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/legal/wow_tou.html
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

10+ Year Old Account
    Policy for inappropriate names is wonky at best..

The "Fux" part in my name, makes it impossible to use in many places, but I have no idea why.

My wow-account name is FuxieDK, but when I tried to create a new one a few years back, Fuxie and Fux was flagged as inappropriate, so policies even change over time..
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Quote Originally Posted by TheRainman View Post
    What was the sentence with necro in it?
    "All necros are lazy and steal corpses"

Honestly, as harmless as the name may be, I'd perhaps have reported your name too. It's a stupid name. They cannot ban every word combination, or we'd have a very small variety to choose from.

Though if you had happened to play on a RP realm, I wouldn't be surprised if the majority reported you there.

Quote Originally Posted by Illusions View Post
    Honestly, as harmless as the name may be, I'd perhaps have reported your name too. It's a stupid name. They cannot ban every word combination, or we'd have a very small variety to choose from.

Though if you had happened to play on a RP realm, I wouldn't be surprised if the majority reported you there.
    Question about the bolded part.

I have played WoW since vanilla but have never played on an RP server or read up on them. Why are names so restricted or looked down on?

10+ Year Old Account
    I randomly got invited to a guild recently on a low level alt and already wasn't feeling the environment, but seeing "Kumstayne has come online" and "Kumstayne has gone offline" was the straw that broke the camel's back and I left within the first hour. I didn't report the dude though because I don't care for ruining other peoples' fun (and I assume someone else will eventually anyway who does care about such things that much), unless it's super awful but super awful stuff doesn't last long enough that I've ever seen it. Did have a friend who got reported for a tauren named Manmilk though.
    Last edited by Izalla; 2018-03-22 at 06:55 AM.
    give up dat booty
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    <3
    For the matriarchy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Still haven't been busted for my Worgen DK; Bichie.

Quote Originally Posted by Shedim View Post
    Question about the bolded part.

I have played WoW since vanilla but have never played on an RP server or read up on them. Why are names so restricted or looked down on?
    Because it's an RP server. People on RP servers can't RP with you if you don't have an actual name.
    Last edited by De Lupe; 2018-03-22 at 06:44 AM.
    US - Eitrigg - <Bank Space is Magic>
    Delupi, Amoora, Jisu, Beahru, Rusa, Yeun, Neralyis, Usii, Razzil, Zaramja, Oshaz, Shawnie, Iziss, Gearsi(A)

Quote Originally Posted by De Lupe View Post
    Still haven't been busted for my Worgen DK; Bichie.
    I have a female human mage called Vajaina that has yet to be flagged for a name change, though I imagine it's only a matter of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

If enough players reported the name as being offensive, then the report gets forwarded to a GM and then he either decides that he agrees or he decides that due to the number of complaints, he is expected to act, therefore he does. He could have also chosen to not act and disregard the complaints as unwarranted but he obviously didn't do that.

Players' views on what is and is not offensive will change over time.
    So even if this has never been an issue before, it clearly is one now.

Personally? The name is stupid IMO but not report-worthy.
    It isn't openly offensive and does not insult anyone/anything directly/indirectly.
    I'm no GM but I would have most likely chosen to disregard the reports as being unwarranted.
    But there may be some policy I am unaware of that says "If (X) complaints = Action".
    In which case I'd follow protocol.
    But I've been told that GMs pretty much make personal calls based on their own sense of right/wrong.
    One could argue there could/should be concrete guide-lines but there's still gonna be some personal judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanklord View Post
    This is GM Ddongi from Blizzard Customer Support.

The reason for my approach is that we have received numerous reports regarding your character name “Spanklord”.
    Other players in the communities have found this naming inappropriate filed a complaint.

Obviously the name isn't appropriate but I mean, I've definitely seen worse.
    shit like this annoys me a lot

i understand making people change name that are racist etc but this ? this is nothing but harmless fun .

Quote Originally Posted by siren View Post
    If a name is flagged for a change that name should be added to the database of names not allowed and all current characters with that name flagged for a change as well. Over the long term, there will be much less names getting flagged if flagged names are no longer usable.

Otherwise, you get a friend of mine with the name Sumdumho, gets flagged for a name change and is allowed to choose Sumdumho again. That's on blizz to take care of if they want names not used, make them not usable.
    Can you though? In any case, if you want to redesign their systems and think you have the skills to do so ask Blizzard for a job.
    Bottom line is that it's pointless to complain about this. If they don't like your name for whatever reason they can ask you or force you to change it.

Quote Originally Posted by World of Warcraft Terms of Use
    (i) Belonging to another person with the intent to impersonate that person, including without limitation a "Game Master" or any other employee or agent of Blizzard;

(ii) That incorporates vulgar language or which are otherwise offensive, defamatory, obscene, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable;

(iii) Subject to the rights of any other person or entity without written authorization from that person or entity;

(iv) That belongs to a popular culture figure, celebrity, or media personality;

(v) That is, contains, or is substantially similar to a trademark or service mark, whether registered or not;

(vi) Belonging to any religious figure or deity;

(vii) Taken from Blizzard's Warcraft products, including character names from the Warcraft series of novels;

(viii) Related to drugs, sex, alcohol, or criminal activity;

(ix) Comprised of partial or complete sentence (e.g., "Inyourface", "Welovebeef", etc);

(x) Comprised of gibberish (e.g., "Asdfasdf", "Jjxccm", "Hvlldrm");

(xi) Referring to pop culture icons or personas (e.g. " "Britneyspears", "Austinpowers", "Batman")

(xii) That utilizes "Leet" or "Dudespeak" (e.g., "Roflcopter", "xxnewbxx", "Roxxoryou")

(xiii) That incorporates titles. For purposes of this subsection, "titles" shall include without limitation 'rank' titles (e.g. , "CorporalTed," or "GeneralVlad"), monarchistic or fantasy titles (e.g., "KingMike", "LordSanchez"), and religious titles (e.g., "ThePope," or "Reverend Al"). You may not use a misspelling or an alternative spelling to circumvent the name restrictions listed above, nor can you have a "first" and "last" name that, when combined, violate the above name restrictions.
    These are the rules for names.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    These are the rules for names.
    I wonder if they ever actually force a name change on parody names of celebrities or things like "Holycow" that don't actually offend anyone but technically break their rules =O
    give up dat booty
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    <3
    For the matriarchy.

Welcome to 2018 where everyone is looking for something to be offended by so they can feel good about themselves when they report you!

That dopamine hit when they do it must be better than sex!

I was once forced to change the name of my character, one day when i logged in i got a message saying i had to change the name as it was inappropriate.

So i just chose the exact same name again lol, it was available after all, and i have never heard any more of it since then, still rock that same name.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRainman View Post
    What was the sentence with necro in it?
    Was about someone necroing a thread. At this point the contend is long forgotten. Context wise it the sentence did not make sense due to having an adjective in place of a vowel. Even had someone quote me calling out my mistake. Of course at the time ticket times was around three days plus of which a mod then removed said ban. Also had a ban three day some other time after with no reason listed of which I inquired about to only have a GM respond to my ticket after the ban lifted to tell me there was no ban /facepalm. I stopped using their built in ticket system since phone support gained call back. Too many times I had to reopen copy paste responses.

The word grape used to be censored because of the word "rape" was in it and not the "n" word.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Izalla View Post
    I wonder if they ever actually force a name change on parody names of celebrities or things like "Holycow" that don't actually offend anyone but technically break their rules =O
    If they get reported, yes they do. If they don't get reported, no

Yeah I've definitively seen worse as well, I have a character literally named "Nudes" I wonder how long I get to keep it before I am approached :P

I just got forced name changed the other day for the first time ever, and I just made a new character and named it the flagged name and deleted it and renamed myself the same name lol. I've had the name for a long time on multiple servers so I see no reason why I should have to change it.