Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I still cant understand to the this day how the name Richard means Dick!!

Oh why did that have to come to be!!

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    So my question is why? why we don't pronounce it as "Seen" instead of Shawn? is that some kind of modern English or it's always been called this way or?
    It's Irish.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thMountainMan View Post
    Our language is a mishmash of Germanic grammar, Latin vocabulary and names who’s origins span the globe. All languages do this somewhat, the silent vowels in Arabic are a blast, but English is a particularly bad offender.
    Yeah bascially, England got gangbanged by half of Europe and the language is still covered in 14 kinds of cumstain.

Quote Originally Posted by xhohosyu View Post

That one is the fault of rhyming slang. People in medieval England liked to substitute words with the same sound, so Rick gave birth to Dick, Meg to Peg, Rob to Bob etc.

Why did the English like doing this? That one's a fucking mystery. I guess it was fun. No Youtube back then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    One of the big things to understand is that unlike most other languages, modern English is NOT the same language as historical forms of English. What we consider to be English nowadays is a mishmash of words, rules, terminology, etc.. drawn from not only older forms of English, but just about every other language the world has ever come out with. Many of the stranger terms or spellings are from words that started somewhere else, and English tends to use a 'close enough' rule where as long as what they end with can be figured out, that's what they'll go with.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post

That one is the fault of rhyming slang. People in medieval England liked to substitute words with the same sound, so Rick gave birth to Dick, Meg to Peg, Rob to Bob etc.

Why did the English like doing this? That one's a fucking mystery. I guess it was fun. No Youtube back then.
    I think its modern times to blame where dick meant penis iam sure it didnt mean that ages ago!

Though we English is notorious for rhyming slang i mean look at cockney rhyming slang for the words we use!

10+ Year Old Account
    Language can be a fickle bitch. It's like minute and minute, two different words spelt the exact same, with different pronunciations and different meanings, why we have this shit in English I don't quite know.
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

Deleted
    SEEN BEEN is my favorite actor.

Quote Originally Posted by 3DTyrant View Post
    Language can be a fickle bitch. It's like minute and minute, two different words spelt the exact same, with different pronunciations and different meanings, why we have this shit in English I don't quite know.
    It could be worse, at least our inanimate objects don't have genders.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mardhyn View Post
    Now this is just blatant trolling, at least before you had the credibility of maybe being stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    Sometimes you gotta stop sniffing used schoolgirl panties and start being a fucking samurai.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rayvio View Post
    our language has many confusing rules and each has many confusing exceptions
    I'm convinced that the secret weapon of the British Empire was to confuse everyone with our language and quietly conquer them while they were too busy trying to understand it
    'When do we attack, General?'
    'How long since we sent them the dictionary and thesaurus?'
    'Two weeks, sir'
    'Excellent, we attack at dawn!'

I don't know the recipe for success, but I know that the recipe for failure is trying to please everyone.

Forum stupidity at its finest:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Just because a word is in the dictionary doesn't mean it's true IRL.
    Allatar - EU Aszune | Allatar - D3 Career

10+ Year Old Account
    It's an irish name, not English at all. In Irish when an s is followed by an e or an i the s is pronounced like sh instead. So it's pronounced like Shaun instead of Saun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 3DTyrant View Post
    Well both meanings actually derive from a common Latin ancestry pars minuta prima, roughly translated as 'the first small part' so it kind of makes some sense. The difference in pronunciation is a different matter though.
    I don't know the recipe for success, but I know that the recipe for failure is trying to please everyone.

Forum stupidity at its finest:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Just because a word is in the dictionary doesn't mean it's true IRL.
    Allatar - EU Aszune | Allatar - D3 Career

Not sure about Sean but much of the oddities in English stem from the fact that English did not have a language revision in the 1800s like many other European languages. I think all the other Germanic languages had their spelling simplified and centuries of added inconsistencies removed.

Deleted
    I don't particularly care why it's pronounced the way it is, but why would we change it to suit you?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I was in my early twenties before I realized "Sean" was pronounced "Shawn", I would read the name in books and come up with my own phonetic sound.

I also spelled "forty" as "fourty" for the longest time.
    Fourty is a fine. It was the most common way to spell it for most of the history of modern English.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Najnaj View Post
    Not sure about Sean but much of the oddities in English stem from the fact that English did not have a language revision in the 1800s like many other European languages. I think all the other Germanic languages had their spelling simplified and centuries of added inconsistencies removed.
    We had the Oxford English dictionary which went about mandating how words a spelt with no regard to how different areas and dialects pronounced it.

Dyslexia is fun for revealing how off written English is from spoken English as dyslexics tend to spell phonetically.

I have recently been reading the original king james Bible. And I find that easier to read than modern English because it's all phonetic spelling.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Allatar View Post
    Well both meanings actually derive from a common Latin ancestry pars minuta prima, roughly translated as 'the first small part' so it kind of makes some sense. The difference in pronunciation is a different matter though.
    We dropped alot of the inflection markers in the transition from middle to modern English. Stuff like umlaut's and such other languages have.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tasttey View Post
    It could be worse, at least our inanimate objects don't have genders.
    Don't assume my tables gender!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah bascially, England got gangbanged by half of Europe and the language is still covered in 14 kinds of cumstain.

Britons - > celts - >Romans - >celts - >vikings - >saxons - >more vikings - >more Germans - > the French

Old lady britannia likes to get her leg over.

- - - Updated - - -

I think its modern times to blame where dick meant penis iam sure it didnt mean that ages ago!

Though we English is notorious for rhyming slang i mean look at cockney rhyming slang for the words we use!
    It has been for along time
    1665 dick ment a thug or rouge - source a book called "an English rouge" by richard head ( legit the name he used haha)
    Extract from the book:
    The next Dick I pickt up for her was a man of a colour as contrary to the former, as light is to darkness, being swarthy; whose hair was as black as a sloe; middle statur'd, well set, both strong and active, a man so universally tryed, and so fruitfully successful, that there was hardly any female within ten miles gotten with child in hugger-mugger, but he was more than suspected to be Father of all the legitimate

An 1869 slang dictionary offered definitions of dick including "a riding whip" and an abbreviation of dictionary, also noting that in the North Country, it was used as a verb to indicate that a policeman was eyeing the subject.[3] The term came to be associated with the penis through usage by men in the military around the 1880s

Because the nickname of Richard being called Dick is most likely a lot older than dick being another name for penis.

Afaik calling a penis, dick is a fairly new term when it comes to synonyms. Probably not more than 100 years old. While the name Richard dates several hundred years back.
    Last edited by babyback; 2018-04-26 at 01:33 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by babyback View Post
    Because the nickname of Richard being called Dick is most likely a lot older than dick being another name for penis.

Afaik calling a penis, dick is a fairly new term when it comes to synonyms. Probably not more than 100 years old. While the name Richard dates several hundred years back.
    1880 it was first used to mean a penis.

It been a word for and criminal type person since at least 1665

I'm not sure Irish ever had a native alphabet. Ogham was probably a cipher alphabet or constructed by missionaries.
    Their pre-press alphabet (not their native one) had a great many symbols that the presses didn't use, which means we got... interesting compromises that make zero sense to an english speaker.

Sean isn't an English name, blame the Irish for their contrary spelling of stupid shit like Siobhan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post

However, there is one English name that I have a hard time to find any logical explanation of why it's pronounced like that. The name "Sean".

In the past I usually pronounce it as "Seen" you know just following the typical English letters, but after many years I discovered that I was wrong and it should be pronounced as "Shawn" just like the famous English actor Sean Bean his name pronounced as Shawn Bean. So my question is why? why we don't pronounce it as "Seen" instead of Shawn? is that some kind of modern English or it's always been called this way or?
    The issue is one of the loan words. Sean isn't an English name but has become a common name in the British Isles in general despite its Gaelic (Irish) origins. In Gaelic phonetics, it makes a great deal of sense to rean "Sean" and pronounces it "Shawn" basically. But the name Sean is used in English despite the original Gaelic context that makes it seem like a weird of funky way of spelling Shon or Shawn. Another is a name like Lloyd. Why use two Ll's to make a one L sound. That is because Lloyd is actually a Welsh name and once transplanted into English, the LL sound loses its phonetic pronunciation since English has no sound like that and it becomes pronounced like "Loy-d".

English is awash in loan words and underwent a cataclysmic set of phonetic shifts after the Norman Invasion of 1066 which saw a lot of its Anglo-Saxon flavour vanish and the influx of LEGIONS of French/latinate words into the language. Once more English was also influenced by its Celtic speaking neighbours and peoples encountered in the Empire and various later/Modern English changes that happened throughout the Anglo-Phonic world. Such as the disappearance of Rhotericisms in South-East England. America preserves some of the older English, much as Mexican Spanish preserves a lot of old Andulesian Spanish, partly because Colonies are often more linguistically conservative.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    Their pre-press alphabet (not their native one) had a great many symbols that the presses didn't use, which means we got... interesting compromises that make zero sense to an english speaker.
    Irish had a native Alphabet and Ogham was it, also Ogham is older than Christianity and once more it was the writing system of the priestly caste within Old Irish society.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Sean isn't an English name, blame the Irish for their contrary spelling of stupid shit like Siobhan.
    Leicester, Worcester, Gloucester, etc., would like a word.