Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    No, though her power will be shown it doesn't mean that Hulk and Thor will be weaker, as their potential no matter what timeline or story will always be more powerful. Not to say Captain Marvel isn't powerful, cause she is pretty crazy, but Hulk and Thor have taken on gods far more powerful than the likes of Captain Marvel

Quote Originally Posted by MAD Storyteller View Post
    No, though her power will be shown it doesn't mean that Hulk and Thor will be weaker, as their potential no matter what timeline or story will always be more powerful. Not to say Captain Marvel isn't powerful, cause she is pretty crazy, but Hulk and Thor have taken on gods far more powerful than the likes of Captain Marvel
    They've said that Captain Marvel will be the strongest hero in the MCU. MCU Thor doesn't have the same mythical godliness as his 616 counterpart and Hulk hasn't really been explored in the MCU, but with both their power levels (so far) being shown to be well below those of the comics it means Captain Marvel can easily slip into the top spot without going far beyond her abilities in the comics, and I'm expecting to see her somewhere on the level of Starbrand as a cosmic-level defense system for Earth.

Deleted
    When I hear Captain Marvel, I think of Shazam.

How well known is this Marvel version even? No one around me seems to know the Marvel version, only the DC version.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    How well known is this Marvel version even? No one around me seems to know the Marvel version, only the DC version.
    She's been fairly important in recent years, what with Civil War II and all. They've been trying to hype her up a bit for a few years now... The question is, did they do this because they want to do more with the character, OR because they knew that this film was coming and wanted to pre-emptively build some hype.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a bad feeling they are going to screw the pooch on Infinity war part two and have Cap Marvel beat Thanos.

They are going to set her up to be impervious to infinity gems. They could totally fuck this up, and I would be willing to bet money this is what happens. Its sad too, because the build up to the Infinity Gauntlet has been so great. I wish I would have read more about this earlier. This will ruin my opinion of the MCU. . . . the writers cant figure out how to make the movie work with the IG, so they are going to just "superman" it. That's weak as fuck.
    Last edited by Beazy; 2018-03-28 at 03:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    When I hear Captain Marvel, I think of Shazam.

She has been around since the 60's. Not as long as Shazam obviously. So DC's version has more lineage.

But Marvel really are trying to push her into becoming Marvels Wonder Woman, and I am fine with that but the issue is Marvel have done a horrible job in writing her. Her comics have been so bad. As well as her new butch appearance which reminds me of Overwatch's Zarya. And since Civil War 2 she has become so unlikable which is a shame because she was one of my favourite Marvel heroes in the 80's and 90's. While trying to create a more figureheaded hero in the Marvel universe, they have instead butchered her (no pun intended)

I preferred Carol when she was Warbird or Ms Marvel personally at least from a more directed and personality approach. I really don't mind the new costume she has in the comics, but her direction has been a train wreck for a few years now. It's very sad
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

And some years later in the mid-70s;

http://<a href="http://www.comingsoo...eenwriters</a>

"That's a person with a lot of power, more powerful than anybody in the room, right? So, what does that mean compared to the other characters. There was some delight to that."

https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2018/...arrive-online/

“You’re going to get the most powerful superhero we’ve ever introduced and what I think is one of the most unique and inspiring origin stories”

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure why, but the phrase "Unique and inspiring origin story" fills me with a strange kind of dread...

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

All that sounds sounds pretty good but I do wonder how that will play out with someone like Thor and Thanos. It has such potential to be really good but it also has potential to not work out well at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's okay for Carol Danvers (whom I still consider "Ms. Marvel") to be able to go toe-to-toe with Thor or Hulk for at least a little while.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    I think it's okay for Carol Danvers (whom I still consider "Ms. Marvel") to be able to go toe-to-toe with Thor or Hulk for at least a little while.
    To be fair, at her peak (which seems to be her base level in the MCU), she is about on the level with base Hulk/Thor. Which is about where the MCU has them now...

So, yeah. For shorter periods, I could see Carol holding her own against them.

I think she'll be useful.

Though, she'll NEVER 1v1 Thanos. Don't even overplay that.

Quote Originally Posted by ArgusTheUnmaker View Post
    I think she'll be useful.

Though, she'll NEVER 1v1 Thanos. Don't even overplay that.
    There will be a 1v1 with Thanos, but she won't win that.

It's going to be pretty clear it's going to be all of them vs Thanos that's going to stop Thanos in the final fight. In particular it will be Marvel & Hulk when the Hulk finally pulls his head out of Banner's ass. :P

I mean, they made Shuri more intelligent than Stark and Banner combined, so it's safe to say they aren't overly concerned with matching power levels of the comics. Anything goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Grossman View Post
    I mean, they made Shuri more intelligent than Stark and Banner combined
    Well, that's a bit of a skewed perspective. They have stated she is possibly the most intelligent human alive right now, but we don't know by how much - and intelligence is a tricky thing to objectively quantify anyway. A lot of what puts her above Stark/Banner right now is simply the fact that she grew up playing with more advanced technology than Stark and Banner have ever gotten their hands on. That's why she has less trouble with the whole Vision thing.

Anyway, as someone with only a very passing interest in the comics, I much prefer the toned-down, science-y, more "reasonable" MCU versions. The whole Hulk kicking a planet thing or whatever is just too over the top for me. That's why I also appreciate their decision to stay away from abstract entities and such, because power inflation is already a plague of comic book stories and setting the bar that high only exacerbates the problem. You'll never get rid of power inflation simply because you want to show people new things and present new challenges (which are then met and overcome). That's fine. But with a more deliberate pace and lower scales you make better stories, I feel.

I liked how they handled that in Infinity War, for example. Thanos, while an unquestionable badass, remained on a reasonable power level for a good portion. People have pointed out that even with just a few gems he should have been much much MUCH more powerful, and they're not wrong - but it would have made for a less interesting movie. I'm fine with how they did it.

For that reason, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt when it comes to Danvers. They are obviously very cognizant of the power scale, and even if she is "the strongest hero in the MCU so far" that doesn't have to mean she's a Thanos-pummeling uber-being. People get too hung up on the whole "ackshully, Hulk doesn't HAVE limits!" thing, too. Remember who these people are talking to in interviews, and what the purpose of their reveals is - to build hype and give a rough idea of the future, not to present a word-of-god infallible objective power ranking.

The smartest thing that has been said here so far was the (admittedly a little cop-out-y) "she'll be as strong as the writers need her to be". That's how things work, even if it's a trope at this point. Their goal is first and foremost to make entertaining movies. Comic book continuity and inter-universe consistency are secondary to that. I'm sure there's tons of plot holes and inconsistencies all over the MCU if you look for them, and you won't have to look hard. Doesn't matter. If the eagles just take the hobbits to Mount Doom, half the story is lost. And that's what it's about above all else. Internal logic comes second.

What I'm personally worried about as someone who doesn't know jack shit about Captain Marvel is just that she's too boring. I'm never a fan of the "superman clone" hero, who's primarily just super strong/super durable/can fly with some sprinkles of <insert random energy-based power>. Iron Man barely gets away with it because of the whole different suits thing (and being Tony Stark, who's the better character than his alter ego anyway), but most of the other heroes in the MCU have at least some kind of shtick attached that makes them more interesting. Heck, even Black Panther's animal theme is already enough. I'm just not sure where Captain Marvel will end up in that respect, and what her actual character (as in personality) will end up being. Maybe the comics have that down pat already and she's got something that makes her interested. I freely confess my ignorance. It's just my own personal question mark surrounding her. But I suppose there would have to be some explanation why she's been absent for decades, and through some serious crises. That's probably connected. And I'm waiting to see what it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhands View Post
    Tony Stark in a robot was able to take on Hulk in one of the movies right?

Captain Marvel is basically a god. And when being a good isn't enough, she can absorb and store massive amounts of energy to become even stronger when needed. I don't think Hulk could get angry enough.

Marvel has a weird disparity in their heros. Most are on normalish levels, but then you get beings like Captain Marvel or Dr.Strange or Nova who are more or less Gods.
    The Hulk once got so angry he was able to pick up Mjolnir.

If she has the power of Binary she can play with the big gunss for a while. Otherwise it's kinda silly.

Kinda offtopic-ish, question for Marvel nerds.

Canon wise, isn't Scarlet Witch and White Phoenix of the Crown the most powerful beings? Like they can wish for shit and it just happens?

Quote Originally Posted by dvaz View Post
    Kinda offtopic-ish, question for Marvel nerds. Canon wise, isn't Scarlet Witch and White Phoenix of the Crown the most powerful beings? Like they can wish for shit and it just happens?
    hmf...the new stuff...is just terrible writing.