Page 1 of 2
LastLast

New to hunter.. What's survival's future?

Hi all!
    I'm new to hunter class. I've always been warrior, and in the last weeks I rolled a hunter, mainly just to try void elf.. And I'm falling in love with it now.
    I'm playing mostly Survival, and sometimes switching to BM.

The Survial spec seems to be very very fun, and I'm thinking about rerolling to SV Hunter for next expansion instead of Arms Warrior.
    I saw some clips about BfA Survival, and it looks like very fun, but I don't understand exactly how it will be.

I think the oldest Hunters hate it because it's not ranged, and maybe many didn't even give it a try. In BfA it will be still melee with some ranged abilities too

What do you all think about Survival in BfA? My worry is that rerolling to it is a bet
    Last edited by Kendevis; 2018-03-28 at 12:19 PM. Reason: typo

10+ Year Old Account
    Still Melee. Though based on what has been datamined it seems to be mixing in some Ranged moves and the Kill Command from BM.
    Looks to be an weird hybrid at the moment. Kind of hard to see how it will truly handle though until we get further into Alpha and Beta

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackspiral View Post
    Still Melee. Though based on what has been datamined it seems to be mixing in some Ranged moves and the Kill Command from BM.
    Looks to be an weird hybrid at the moment. Kind of hard to see how it will truly handle though until we get further into Alpha and Beta
    Handels beautifully I am loving survival in the Alpha!

If there's any specific questions about it just ask and I'll try to answer 'm.

7+ Year Old Account
    Likewise, have been testing the new Surv. Looks to have solved a lot of problems it had in Legion with the targeting of Explosive Trap (now Wildfire Grenade direct to the target), and Mongoose Bite now as a talent with no CD or charges.

It is quite simple, and maybe a little sparse, but does feel good to play, and does have options via talents.

Still has some work to be done, but shaping up quite nicely.

I have been playing Survival exclusively on the Alpha and I will say it is a lot simpler overall but it flows wayyyyy better for a rotation, Azerite passives are going to impact it in a big way though so right now it seems a little basic but I can see the Azerite passives enhancing it greatly. The talents need to be moved around a bit too currently but we have all been leaving feedback on that.

It's issue on live is it's cluttered. I've spent forever learning it and I'm always top3 in lfr, norm, hc and majority of mythic. My only issue is it's so damn cluttered.. I'm hoping the de-clutter in BfA will help it out.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    I have been playing Survival exclusively on the Alpha and I will say it is a lot simpler overall but it flows wayyyyy better for a rotation, Azerite passives are going to impact it in a big way though so right now it seems a little basic but I can see the Azerite passives enhancing it greatly. The talents need to be moved around a bit too currently but we have all been leaving feedback on that.
    Happy to read this!

Feels pretty smooth so far in BfA Alpha: I'm finding myself particularly fond of the Wildfire Infusion talent (gives varying additional effects to Wildfire Grenade), paired with Guerrilla Tactics (gives two charges to Wildfire Grenade)
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    I'm finding myself particularly fond of the Wildfire Infusion talent (gives varying additional effects to Wildfire Grenade)
    Sidenote: I've feedback'ed that Wildfire Infusion needs another tooltip description - the extra effects are not random, but occur in the same predictable pattern.
    I don't really have a good replacement for the "random" part, though. The tooltip is already extremely large.

In BFA its really fluid, has better survivability and no more place and play. They refined it alot, its still Alpha so things can change, but I hope not too much.

Why people dont play it, is because we already have alot of FOTM melee. You'll find alot of raid teams that are 80% melee, its rough.

Quote Originally Posted by Kendevis View Post
    Hi all!
    I'm new to hunter class. I've always been warrior, and in the last weeks I rolled a hunter, mainly just to try void elf.. And I'm falling in love with it now.
    I'm playing mostly Survival, and sometimes switching to BM.

The Survial spec seems to be very very fun, and I'm thinking about rerolling to SV Hunter for next expansion instead of Arms Warrior.
    I saw some clips about BfA Survival, and it looks like very fun, but I don't understand exactly how it will be.

I think the oldest Hunters hate it because it's not ranged, and maybe many didn't even give it a try. In BfA it will be still melee with some ranged abilities too

What do you all think about Survival in BfA? My worry is that rerolling to it is a bet
    A good argument could be made it is the best performing spec on Alpha right now.

Deleted
    SV and MM is going to be the meta classes for BFA. Its going to be some major changes but it should be streamlined

SV is actually pretty damn fun on Beta, much nicer than live version, much nicer to play than MM/BM and I really don't care that it's melee (it's a tryhard melee hybrid, but it's melee).

I reckon with gear scaling this could be a bit of a monster, at least I'm hoping so

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Survival is actually pretty damn solid on Beta and looks to be a top tier spec going into BFA.

It is also fun to play and one of the least clunky of all Classes.

Deleted
    Gameplaywise SV is in an insanely good spot, but since serpent sting will have to be used a lot, it looks terrible to use at close range. In short... Gameplaywise amazing, animationwise pretty damn bad...

Deleted
    Throwing grenades and eagles at people while your pet sort of does a little something.

I like Legion Survival Hunter because I like stabbing things with venom and throwing traps in mobs' faces. Survival finally felt unique in Legion as melee.

If I wanted to shoot a dinky little crossbow, I'd play MM. I don't want Serpent Sting as a ranged attack. I want to stab that venom into my enemy like I did with Lacerate.

If I wanted to tell my pet to do all the work, I'd play BM. I don't want Kill Command. At least I can talent into Flanking Strike, but I wish it'd replace Kill Command.
    Last edited by Razion; 2018-05-07 at 12:21 AM.

I think they're taking too much from the BM fantasy to rework the Survival spec.

Perhaps they're slowly realizing that making a ranged spec into a melee one, was a bad move.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its good and fun on the alpha atm and I'll be playing it just as much as my WW monk main horde side.

Nice set of talents to change your gameplay up a bit as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Razion View Post
    I like Legion Survival Hunter because I like stabbing things with venom and throwing traps in mobs' faces. Survival finally felt unique in Legion as melee.

If I wanted to shoot a dinky little crossbow, I'd play MM. I don't want Serpent Sting as a ranged attack. I want to stab that venom into my enemy like I did with Lacerate.

If I wanted to tell my pet to do all the work, I'd play BM. I don't want Kill Command. At least I can talent into Flanking Strike, but I wish it'd replace Kill Command.
    I agree, instead of making Legion SV have better less chaotic RNG they redid all of it and now it feels like a watered down BM that even uses the same spell names which just feels lazy imo.

Serpent sting being a crossbow shot feels odd, but their trying to make it a melee/ranged hybrid. It's dumb to shoot a crossbow from point blank range instead of using a bleed or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanthoris View Post
    I agree, instead of making Legion SV have better less chaotic RNG they redid all of it and now it feels like a watered down BM that even uses the same spell names which just feels lazy imo.

Serpent sting being a crossbow shot feels odd, but their trying to make it a melee/ranged hybrid. It's dumb to shoot a crossbow from point blank range instead of using a bleed or something.
    Totally agree with all of that, although Mongoose Bite was my favorite part of Survival in Legion. Would like to have Mongoose Bite and Flanking Strike at the same time.