10+ Year Old Account

Thumbs up Heat problem with pc and thinking of a upgrade

I am using this box:
    https://www.sharkoon.com/product/1678/T3-W

As you can see i dont even have much stuff inside:
    (dont worry abauth dust its cleaned now - it was very small ammount)

Side open

Front:

Side closed:

Problem is that i dont know what heatsink to buy. Not even sure if you can place something on side.
    http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/sha...atx-cases.html

Also something that i can get of german amazon (as this pc was purchased there).

Right now pc has power suppy heatsink (down), vents at front and one inside, but the air is not getting pushed out.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

You mention heat problems but not posting any temps or what you already own so we cant really answer anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    I see an empty spot where your exhaust fan would be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    You mention heat problems but not posting any temps or what you already own so we cant really answer anything.
    Hard to say, but pc does reach a pretty high temperature (like when you place your hand on a car that was on sun whole day).
    I tried some programs but all give me different temperatures. Probaly this one is more accurate:

Computer specs:

Basic:
    Processor
    AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor
    Video Card
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950
    RAM
    16 GB
    Operating System
    Microsoft Windows 10 (build 10240), 64-bit

Advanced:

Processor
    Processor
    AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor
    Manufacturer
    AMD
    Speed
    3.5 GHz
    Number of Cores
    CPU ID
    178BFBFF00600F20
    Family
    Model
    Stepping
    Revision
    Memory
    RAM
    16 GB
    Video Card
    Video Card
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950
    Manufacturer
    Chipset
    GeForce GTX 950
    Dedicated Memory
    2.0 GB
    Total Memory
    10 GB
    Pixel Shader Version
    Vertex Shader Version
    Hardware T & L
    Yes
    Vendor ID
    10DE
    Device
    Plug and Play ID
    VEN_10DE&DEV_1402&SUBSYS_11A910DE&REV_A1
    Driver Version
    Operating System
    Operating System
    Microsoft Windows 10 (build 10240), 64-bit
    Service Pack
    Size
    64-bit
    Edition
    NVIDIA
    Version
    Locale
    BIOS
    BIOS
    Default System BIOS
    Version
    American Megatrends Inc. P1.20
    Manufacturer
    American Megatrends Inc.
    Date
    10/02/14
    Sound
    Audio 1
    Sound Device
    USB Audio Device
    Driver
    Audio 2
    Sound Device
    High Definition Audio Device
    Driver
    Audio 3
    Sound Device
    NVIDIA High Definition Audio
    Driver
    Drives
    DVD
    HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSD1 SCSI CdRom Device
    CD
    HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSD1 SCSI CdRom Device
    Size
    1.4 TB
    Free Memory
    1.1 TB
    Software
    Internet Explorer
    Chrome
    Firefox
    Safari
    Java
    Flash
    DirectX
    .NET
    QuickTime
    Adobe PDF Reader

Before you ask why 3 sound drivers -- 2 of them are disabled, only outside sound card is on.

GPU looks fine only the CPU is hot for idle temps.
    Ok its a FX 6300, this piece of crap like to run hot.
    Get a exhaust fan and maybe swap the CPU cooler with a Cryorig or BeQuiet cooler.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0005-_-Product

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    GPU looks fine only the CPU is hot for idle temps.
    Ok its a FX 6300, this piece of crap like to run hot.
    Get a exhaust fan and maybe swap the CPU cooler with a Cryorig or BeQuiet cooler.

Yeh was thinking to replace Fx6300 with something better (it came with pc and it was the best option when i got it). And also add a SSD.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    snip
    It doesnt really work like that, since its an FX 6300 aka piece of garbage the temps are logical if paired with a "Tired fan".

Upgrade wise, you can keep the GPU, the 950 can handle WoW just fine on most settings,but you need to replace the CPU if you do more than running around questing.

10+ Year Old Account
    It doesnt really work like that, since its an FX 6300 aka piece of garbage the temps are logical if paired with a "Tired fan".

Upgrade wise, you can keep the GPU, the 950 can handle WoW just fine on most settings,but you need to replace the CPU if you do more than running around questing.
    Running Eso right now, but that game is known for a lot of memory leaks .

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Running Eso right now, but that game is known for a lot of memory leaks .
    Memory leaks are irrelevant to temperatures.

Either way, since its a prebuilt PC the things to change.

CPU/Mobo/RAM/PSU (For safety although if it lasted all those years should be fine?, its optional really)/SSD.

Your 950 can handle for MMO use for a couple more years for low/medium settings.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think you all missed the part where he said he wants to upgrade his cooling.

Instead of good advice on that everyone tells him what a piece of shit he has. smh

OT@OP

Yes your cpu isn't the best for WoW and other cpu demanding games, that being said, if you can play at 1080p with decent settings, then you might want to wait as memory prices are fin ridiculous atm.

On to your cooling.

Get a 120mm fan for the rear, grab 2x120mm (or 140mm) for the front. Since you have some type of filtration on the front you want to set it up for positive air, that will keep the dust out (more air being forced in than coming out). Heres a video that explains it, yes its old, but it gets the point across.

Decent fan manufacturers are Noctua (recommended), BeQuiet! and Corsair, there are a few more but thats a starting point and is also a matter of opinion.

Start there, this will get the heat ouit of the case and provide fresh air, after that if the cpu is still a little warm re-seat the hsf with some good thermal paste, again this is a matter of opinion, I use Thermal Grizzly However, you can get anything from Arctic Silver 5 to Noctua

Good luck and let us know how you proceed.

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post

Well you think wrong. , two people have already recommended that he installs an exhaust fan.

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post

Instead of good advice on that everyone tells him what a piece of shit he has. smh

OT@OP

Yes your cpu isn't the best for WoW and other cpu demanding games, that being said, if you can play at 1080p with decent settings, then you might want to wait as memory prices are fin ridiculous atm.

On to your cooling.

Get a 120mm fan for the rear, grab 2x120mm (or 140mm) for the front. Since you have some type of filtration on the front you want to set it up for positive air, that will keep the dust out (more air being forced in than coming out). Heres a video that explains it, yes its old, but it gets the point across.

Decent fan manufacturers are Noctua (recommended), BeQuiet! and Corsair, there are a few more but thats a starting point and is also a matter of opinion.

Start there, this will get the heat ouit of the case and provide fresh air, after that if the cpu is still a little warm re-seat the hsf with some good thermal paste, again this is a matter of opinion, I use Thermal Grizzly However, you can get anything from Arctic Silver 5 to Noctua

Good luck and let us know how you proceed.
    Wrong.

FX6300 is a pile of shit which has high idle temp anyway.

Secondly he/she is using a below 10$ aftermarket cooler, pretty sure thats a Xilence but i wont even get into that.

Lets tell her/him to waste over 50$ in case fans to lower the idle temperatures on a 30$ case, while already having 2 case fans at the front that come with the case.

Yes, great advice.

The best advice for a FX-6300 and WoW in 2018 is to grab the PC, find a balcony and flick the case onto the street, hopefully from the 3rd floor and above to make sure nothing is salvageable.

There is a thing called VFM, a FX isnt that.

Or, she could just simply find someone to change her CPU cooler with anything else and refresh the paste to drop 10C.
    Last edited by potis; 2018-05-13 at 01:11 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Wrong.

Secondly he/she is using a below 10$ aftermarket cooler, pretty sure thats a Xilence but i wont even get into that.

Lets tell her/him to waste over 50$ in case fans to lower the idle temperatures on a 30$ case, while already having 2 case fans at the front that come with the case.

Yes, great advice.

The best advice for a FX-6300 and WoW in 2018 is to grab the PC, find a balcony and flick the case onto the street, hopefully from the 3rd floor and above to make sure nothing is salvageable.

Or, she could just simply find someone to change her CPU cooler with anything else and refresh the paste to drop 10C.
    Made me chuckle, but you're right.
    AMD FX CPUs are terrible. My neighbours son had one of those and temp issues. I told them to try and get a new cooler and it didn't solve the problem.
    Honestly getting a used 2600k or even better 3770k with a motherboard is a way better choice for cheap gaming.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    Made me chuckle, but you're right.
    AMD FX CPUs are terrible. My neighbours son had one of those and temp issues. I told them to try and get a new cooler and it didn't solve the problem.
    Honestly getting a used 2600k or even better 3770k with a motherboard is a way better choice for cheap gaming.
    Games run just fine so its not a problem. I will wait till prices go down a little (no way i am paying 200--)500 for a chip)
    https://www.amazon.de/AMD-Ryzen-5-16...words=amd&th=1

Anyway got this:
    https://noctua.at/en/nf-p12

Will see if there is any difference when i install it (got it in specialized store that builds gaming pcs).

15+ Year Old Account
    Wrong.

Yes, great advice.

Doesnt matter, he doesnt have the need to upgrade if it plays his games to his satisfaction. Advice is only relevant when asked, he didint ask for upgrade advice.

I will agree that the FX line is sub par, but that is most likely what he could afford.

The advice I gave was good advice for fixing his issues on the cheap, that $30 case you quoted with 2 fans included to you is a piece of shit, so am I to assume you think those cheap fans are of excellent quality?

And even if he did upgrade later, those $50 worth of fans you call bad advice could have stayed in his case if he used it or went into his new build.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is quite a difference now: