Toradora was trash. Built on a terrible premise. Has shallow characters. But even worse, he chose the wrong girl

- - - Updated - - -

I don't give 10's even to series i utterly love. At most i think i've given several 9's.. maybe several
    Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    U6 easily has the best charcters introduce in SUper, aside from Beerus and BLack
    jajaja

Okay, well, for the sake of being more productive in posting and maybe causing some positive discussion, here are my 10's and reasoning. Be forewarned, my descriptions and explanations aren't amazing and should be taken with a grain of salt (or multiple grains). As this recent discussion has spurred some of my own inflection, I think my 10's are just the shows/movies/OVAs that really hit a chord with me. Barring any pretentious matters like something appealing to me on a conceptual, fundamental, methodological, and philosophical level, these just were the most enjoyable I've seen. While hypocritical, if I take a page out of the infamous Digibro handbook, a score is like a ranking; a 9 is monumentally better than a 5, and still slightly edges itself out over an 8. I looked at these 10's in a form of comparison to everything else I have watched and scored, and they make the most sense to me. These also stand the test of time, as I would still waver on giving these a 10 still. I have a lot of 9's as well, but none I could really bump up to this magnitude.

Neon Genesis Evangelion: End of Evangelion - To quote my bruder, "I went into Neon Genesis Evangelion knowing that it is not only one of the classic works of anime but also very polarizing. I knew I enjoyed it when I was done watching it but it was only later on that I noticed how much of a presence it had in my life. Though that doesn't quite suffice for me to raise the rating for the series to a 10, the movie has what it takes. To this day, The End of Evangelion remains one of the most beautiful and visually impressive anime that I have ever seen."
    I think this essentially sums up my feelings towards this. The show itself resonated with me a lot. Its ending left something to be desired and the "two sides of the same coin" metaphor rang true. After I finished watching this, I just felt empty. It was emotionally eviscerating. For most of the movie my jaw was on the ground just bearing witness to this unsettling spectacle.

Gungrave - This show is probably the outlier in my list. No one really regards this show so high, yet, I can't really formulate a strong defense for it. When I was younger I played this game on PS2 and I loved it. After getting into anime I found out this was a thing. The gritting tale of avarice, betrayal, greed, loyalty, and power was just a pleasure to watch. Many of the complaints usually stem from, the latter half of the show where the mafia corporation develops the monsters and Brandon Heat becomes Gungrave. This didn't bother me probably because I liked that aspect of the videogame. The ending also differs from the videogame and it way more cathartic and helps to assuage the intense feelings held towards the characters.

Haibane Renmei - Granted this can be a bit sluggish sometimes, it meant a lot to me. The interpretation that this is a religious allegory doesn't settle with me too much. However, the idea of self-forgiveness and helping others find redemption in themselves is pretty much my life's work at this point.

Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin - Can't say much about this besides it being a tale of bros being bros; it's essentially Bro: The Anime. The resolve and self-sacrifice accrued through friendship during pain and struggles also means something to me. Some of the scenes were borderline abhorrent and gut-wrenching to watch. The show did a great job at eliciting a feeling of poignancy, but also being jovial. The show spans multiple years and you get a lot of character progression; their own hardships outside of the prison setting during the beginning of the show. All of the characters were really investable.

Currently the only 2 anime that got a 10 from me are Mushishi (1st season) and Tonari no Totoro. If I like a show really, really much, it gets a 9 from me, if some kind of a deeper connection is formed, then the aforementioned 10/10 score.

In past I actually had Samurai Champloo, SSY, Mahoujin Guruguru (2017) and maybe (dunno) S;G as 10/10 too. However, whenever I thought what my top 5 favourite list would look like, those shows generally wouldn't make the list and since I rate mostly based on personal enjoyment, giving 10/10 to shows I don't consider my absolute favourites right off the bat seemed weird.

Why won't I give the rest of my absolute favourites a 10? Dunno.

I gave what I gave a 10 because my taste is impeccable and cannot be judged by the likes of others.

But seriously, it generally boils down to what has more than just a small tug at my emotions, and be a judging point for other anime.

For example, Steins;Gate I gave a 10 because I find the storytelling to be superb. I often go back actually to re-watch the Operation Skuld scene, I think it's one of the most amazing scenes I've ever seen in an anime. Mayuri's slap, the entire video, everything about it was literal perfection..

SSY ended up adding to my 10s. My initial reaction was confusion, and after talking about it to a few others like goriq, Neichus, and Iced, I realized the fact that I was dwelling on the impact of this anime for so long, rather than just moving on, was a testament of its own to how strong of an anime this is.
    It doesn't take you for a ride. It doesn't exactly give enjoyment either. What it gives is something deeper, something more.

Erased I gave a 10 because even despite having the ending spoiled on me, I still enjoyed the ride every step of the way. I'm a sucker for a story where the character refuses to give up, to the point of risking their own life to save others

I've only ever given out a 10 to three anime. If I rewatch the series, then you know it's fantastic because it's that good.

Seirei no Moribito

It's set in a fictional counterpart to 1000's Japan, following a lonesome spearwoman in her late 20's/early 30's named Balsa Yonsa. She has spent her life wandering across the land, hiring herself out as a bodyguard to VIPs and caravans, and minding her own business. One day, she is beseeched by the mother of a young prince to take him away and protect him from the Emperor's assassins. Despite having spent most of her life running away from her past and trying to avoid trouble, despite the mother having nothing with which to pay Balsa, and that Balsa herself does not consider herself skilled enough to survive the assassins, she nonetheless decides to take the boy and become a fugitive for life. The story is about Balsa and the young prince trying to get by in medieval Japan whilst being hunted and harassed, trying to make end's meat, and Balsa confronting her past. By the end of the story, I felt like I really knew these people, and couldn't stop crying when the journey ended. Think Sword of the Stranger, but with an emphasis on the slice of life and the characters. The fight choreography is captivating to watch and allows you to strategize with the characters during the action while remaining grounded, though it should be emphasized that this is not a fighting series and there are only a handful of encounters in the 24 episode series. Kenji Kawaii's soundtrack captures the melancholic and contemplative tone of the series completely. I can still remember the music four years later, with Omoi Haruka, Kizuna, Nahji no Uta, and Yuunagi being among my all time favorite tracks from Japanese anime.

=========================================================================================

Gundam: War in the Pocket

Set during the One Year War of the original series, when Zeon receives intel that a Federation Gundam is being built on a neutral colony.The story following Bernie Wiseman, a Zaku pilot who joins the Zeon strike team in a mission to infiltrate the colony and destroy the Gundam. This the least Gundam-y show to come out of the franchise, eschewing the typical tropes of "debating philosophy over open comms during battle", over the top battles that drag on and on, newtype space magic, etc. Like Moribito, it's a rather introspective tale, with Bernie questioning the morality of his mission which may kill the innocent people of the neutral colony, and civilian scientists and engineers who were only ordered by the Federation government to build the Gundam. While on this mission, he bonds with Al, a young kid on the colony, and his neighbor and babysitter Christina, who unbeknownst to him is the pilot of the Gundam. I can't say much without spoilers, but this story resonated me in a way no Gundam had before, and only a handful of media had ever done. It's a tale about forgiveness and self sacrifice, and recognizing what is truly worth fighting for beyond the political spin the two factions put forth. The opening gets to me ever time. Bernie Wiseman remains one of my most favorite anime characters, ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    I just finished Gundam: War in the Pocket.

10/10 class act

Damn, I've seen over 120 anime, several of which were Gundam series - and **THIS is 10/10 material** in my book. Going up on my favorites list along with FMAB, Fate/Zero, and Princess Mononoke. Holy crap, the feels! A story with sincerity, friendship, ACTUAL COURAGE and self sacrifice. If only there were more Gundam stories like this! I do like the shounen-esque adventure stories of IBO and Unicorn, but they've never felt so real or touching like War in the Pocket. Also, Bernie Wiseman is one of my most favorite anime characters of all time, and he earned that spot not with catch phrases or some "deep" or "complex" character arc, but - again - with simple sincerity and ACTUAL courage.

Holy crap, RESPECT Bernie Wiseman!

=========================================================================================

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

What can I say about FMAB that hasn't already been said? I won't bother. Instead, I'll just say that I don't think that the decision to skip through the first few stories of the manga hurt the series, as I don't think they added much to the story or themes and would have only bogged down FMAB's perfect pacing. FMA 2003 does those stories justice by expanding them into mutli-episode arcs and crafting them with that series' sinister atmosphere. FMAB is anything but dark, being an optimistic and light-hearted story that - while it does deal with mature themes - doesn't revel in them like a few certain other shounen series. I actually quite liked the slap-stick humor.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2018-05-13 at 09:18 PM.

I know it will look mightily out-subject, but there is one movie anime fans must see on Netflix-Stephanie

It's Elfen Lied live action. Of course it's a figure of speech.

15+ Year Old Account
    I can’t say I have exact criteria for something to be a 10/10. A few years ago I was a bit more fussy about my scores, but I really don’t care anymore. At the end of the day it’s just a list to show people what anime I like.

Most of the shows I have 10 are there for different reasons. Some likely because of nostalgia, some for personal reasons, and some because I actually think they are quality pieces of fiction. A bunch of my 10s are solely for the second (or later) seasons, too.

Code Geass && Clannad: After Story
    These would fall into the nostalgia category. Both were my first introductions into certain genres of anime, and essentially opened an entire new world of degeneracy for me.

Code Geass was the third anime I ever watched. With my first two being relatively normal shows (Cowboy Bebop and Death Note), Code Geass was my introduction into the abnormal stories anime has to offer. You know, big robot fights, cute girls in skintight suits, high school kids making contracts with magical girls. The fun stuff that anime is generally known for. And I loved it. I don't think anything could ever get me to lower this. Even if Code Geass isn't perfect, it's really goddamn fun, and that's all that matters.

Clannad was a similar situation. I mean Clannad is literally the bug eye cutesy moe shit that anime is infamous for, and prior to actually getting into anime I never thought I’d enjoy stuff like that. But I guess I’m actually a total degenerate who loves cute things. Looking back Clannad isn’t really as perfect as I thought it was, but it was still an unforgettable experience for me at the time.

Aria The Origination && Koe no Katachi
    These are shows that have impacted me personally.

It’s hard to describe why I like Aria so much. Whenever I try to put it into words it just feels, I don’t know, cheesy. Aria isn’t very deep, or exciting, or honestly even very funny. When I first watched it I actually expected it to be full of Mushishi-esque tales that would make me cry, but for the most part it doesn’t even have that either. Still, I love Aria and the way of living it represents. Akari is one of my favourite characters in fiction. She is the sort of person I wish I could be.

Koe no Katachi is a bit weird in that I haven’t actually read the manga (don’t really plan to either) and I don’t even think the movie was perfect. But I did connect with certain messages in it quite strongly. Still, I’m pretty sure the only reason I originally put it as 10 was because it’s definitely better than Your Name and wanted to show that I believed that.

Fate/Zero && Carnival Phantasm
    Fate is still the series I love the most in any form of fiction. And Fate/Zero is still the best Fate anime, at least until HF 3 is animated. Carnival Phantasm is somewhat of an arbitrary 10 but as a Nasuverse fan I have to give it a 10.

K-On!! && Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb
    Both of these anime are basically the epitome of “cute girls doing cute things” for me. I love Slice of Life, and they encapsulate everything great about the genre. Even better, they actually have proper conclusions, which is fairly rare for their sort of show. Graduation/farewell episodes are always guaranteed tearjerkers and they both have really damn good ones.

I actually lowered K-ON to 9 a few years ago. It was one of the first cute girl shows I watched, so after years of watching more and more I thought the magic wasn’t really unique to K-ON. But after rewatching the series a few months ago I realized that K-ON is actually something special in the genre and not many since can compare, and bumped it back to 10.

Shinsekai yori && Gankutsuou
    These are what I’d consider shows that deserve to be 10s on their own merits, and have nothing to do with my personal biases. Shinsekai is just genuinely great fiction, regardless of medium. It’s still my all time favourite anime. Gankutsuou is a brilliantly unique adaptation of an already amazing classic.

(Still, despite what I said I think Gankutsuou was actually a retroactive 10. I believe I bumped the score up after reading the novel and was on the post-reading high)

Monogatari: Second Season
    Monogatari S2 is the odd one out here. I’m not really sure what to say other than that I really like Monogatari, and S2 was peak Monogatari.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm coming into this late and I can't be assed to read everything above, but I personally give a 10 to a show that impacted me in some way. I don't care if other people think it's a steaming pile of shit, or if a bunch of people come to some sort of "consensus" that it's objectively bad in certain ways, if I like it enough I'll give it a 10.

I really really hate objectively rating something though. By objectively rating something it's essentially saying "my opinion is important, and I think other people should also think this show is the rating I gave it or they're wrong". I subjectively rate everything on purpose, and I won't let something like "oh this scene could have been done better, let's bring it down half a point".

Anyways, here are my 10's, and you can tell they fluctuate pretty wildly. There are a lot of them, but do note that this is out of 515 completed entries on MAL.

Gankutsuou
    Code Geass S1&2
    Clannad: After Story
    Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
    Durarara!! S1-4
    Steins;Gate
    Kizumonogatari 1-3
    Fate/Zero S1&2
    Madoka Magica Movie 3
    Shinsekai Yori
    Monogatari: Second Season & Owarimonogatari
    Magi S2
    Mekakucity Actors
    Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
    Zankyou no Terror
    ROMCOM Snafu S2
    Love Live Movie
    Hibike! Euphonium
    Koe no Katachi
    One Punch Man
    Boku dake ga Inai Machi
    Gate S2
    Made in Abyss
    3-gatsu S2
    Houseki no Kuni

All of these shows I felt deserved a 10 by my own standards. There are obviously shows on here that are far worse than others, or shows that by any "objective" standard don't deserve a 10 (Mekakucity comes to mind), but I decided to give it a 10 really just because I can and nothing can stop me from doing so. I know no one else really gives a shit what I rate shows, so I might as well rate them how I enjoyed them, because there's no way I can truly be in any sense of the word objective on what I rate a show.

10+ Year Old Account
    Golden Kamuy ep 6.....lol that shit cenzorship

But i did find the original page here:
    MOD SNIP

On that scene:
    MOD SNIP
    Yep shit still cenzored
    They did cut down some scenes here.
    Last edited by xskarma; 2018-05-14 at 10:10 PM.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Looks like Shoujo Beat is finally doing an English release of Ao Haru Ride. Enjoyed the show but never got around to reading the manga.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Golden Kamuy ep 6.....lol that shit cenzorship

But i did find the original page here:
    -snip-

On that scene:
    -snip-
    Yep shit still cenzored
    They did cut down some scenes here.
    You might want to upload that page to imgur because you can get banned for linking stuff like mangadex
    Last edited by crimson; 2018-05-14 at 09:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crimson View Post
    You might want to upload that page to imgur because you can get banned for linking stuff like mangadex
    I dont use imgur . Any there are tons of sites like this on net anyway, but i dont realy care abauth them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont use imgur . Any there are tons of sites like this on net anyway, but i dont realy care abauth them.
    What language is this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post
    What language is this.
    Me being half a sleep:

Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post
    What language is this.
    I believe its the language of cabbages.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why aren't you a full sleep? Being a half sleep might be problematic...

Damn, Heaven's Feel part 1 sold around 60k copies.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Reading the manga made me enjoy the anime more when it aired. It's worth the read, overall, though.
    Always meant to get around to it, everyone says it's really good.

pretty thicc

Deleted
    omegalul xD i want to watch anime now

Quote Originally Posted by Bloky View Post
    pretty thicc
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutaro View Post
    omegalul xD i want to watch anime now
    This is a meme-free zone. Take them out of here.