Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    No hidden tricks, it just takes longer. Stick to graphically smaller zones and queue dungeons at the same time. Nothing more to it.

Best advice that I have not seen suggested in here yet:

Level only when you’re at maximum rested state. Level until it runs out (it lasts a lot longer than you think) then park at an inn. Repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Weeps View Post

Level only when you’re at maximum rested state. Level until it runs out (it lasts a lot longer than you think) then park at an inn. Repeat.
    It does make the amount of effort required less, but it doesn't in total make leveling the character, in terms of time, any faster. If you level two characters at the same time, sure you can park one in an inn while the other levels actively, but I still think you out level rested. Also, rested is only XP from killing monsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Zennen View Post
    It does make the amount of effort required less, but it doesn't in total make leveling the character, in terms of time, any faster. If you level two characters at the same time, sure you can park one in an inn while the other levels actively, but I still think you out level rested. Also, rested is only XP from killing monsters.

Yeah it depends on how aggressive you wanna level. If you’re like me and have all classes at 110, I’m not in a hurry so I level while rested. It does help me in that respect

A very simple question:

Provided queue times are fine (not instant, but fast enough), leveling via random instances should be faster than questing, right? Not talking about special level brackets like WoD / Legion, let's assume something like level 67 (or, I don't know, 37, you get the idea).

In a nutshell, my question is: is XP bonus for completing a random instance big enough to be worth considering or is it inconsequential?

Also, I am not sure whether queuing for specific instances (crossing those you haven't been in, to always have quests to complete) is better than queuing for random instances. I'd queue for specific instances, but I think the bonus for random instances includes XP, no?

For me the "fastest" feeling method, is to do all the lower lvl zones, like.. if you start at lvl 1, start doing the starting zone obviously, then do other starting zones like it for your faction. Work your way up, so do every zone that has a minimum of 10, then 15, then 20, then 30, etc.
    Thats how I do it anyhow.

I would try to have as much rested as you can when you get to WoD. Rested XP works with treasures, so that really helps speed this up.

I quite like the leveling experience as a tank/healer who can queue quick. I can see DPS being mostly painful because of long queues. The reason I like it now vs before is that dungeons actually have a challenge to them after the scaling fixes and the reward is rather decent. If you do a dungeon and the dungeon quests you get some loot, you get some XP and usually level up and entire level in a single run. Scaling zones in azeroth make it trivial to just run around and level up quick.

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    A very simple question:

Provided queue times are fine (not instant, but fast enough), leveling via random instances should be faster than questing, right? Not talking about special level brackets like WoD / Legion, let's assume something like level 67 (or, I don't know, 37, you get the idea).

In a nutshell, my question is: is XP bonus for completing a random instance big enough to be worth considering or is it inconsequential?

Also, I am not sure whether queuing for specific instances (crossing those you haven't been in, to always have quests to complete) is better than queuing for random instances. I'd queue for specific instances, but I think the bonus for random instances includes XP, no?
    It's not as simple as you might think. A LOT depends on which zones, what level you do them at, how well you know the area, and how focused you can stay on doing the most optimal path. The other advantage solo questing has is that it's not reliant upon other people. This means there's no risk of getting a bad group in a dungeon, which might slow you down significantly.

Dungeons also take more or less time depending on what level range you're at. The earlier dungeons like RFC, WC, Stockades, and such are relatively short. But places like Uldaman and Dire Maul are massive time-sinks. Going into TBC/WotLK, Ramparts, Blood Furnace, and Utgard Keep might seem like good options, but you have to remember that you can queue for them starting at 58, which means some of your group might have really bad gear. But at the same time, WotLK questing isn't really all that fast either, despite having flight available right away(while TBC questing is a mistake if you're interested in speed).

MoP and Cata questing is some of the best laid out questing you can do. Mt Hyjal and Jade Forest exp/hour can rival later level(78-82) Kara trash if you're really on the ball. And from 83-88 there isn't really any better option besides Method-0 or dual box runs through Los City of Tol'Vir(which I'm not convinced is actually faster exp/h).

- - - Updated - - -

On that topic, if all you're trying to get is the heritage armor, log into a monk once a day and do the daily quest at the temple. The exp buff stacks up to 9 times or something, IIRC, and stacks with rested bonus.

So make a monk of each allied race you want, and start stacking up that bonus for when you actually level it a week later. It'll speed things up significantly.

Just go dungs with group of friends. Fastest way ever

A very simple question:

nope - they nerfed it to the point that doin dungeons more then 1 time for quest completion is completly non efficient due to how much slower the pace in dungeons now is. its garbage compared to what it was before change

all those changes were made so people get pissed and buy char boosts - and its working.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    It's not as simple as you might think. A LOT depends on which zones, what level you do them at, how well you know the area, and how focused you can stay on doing the most optimal path. The other advantage solo questing has is that it's not reliant upon other people. This means there's no risk of getting a bad group in a dungeon, which might slow you down significantly.

Dungeons also take more or less time depending on what level range you're at. The earlier dungeons like RFC, WC, Stockades, and such are relatively short. But places like Uldaman and Dire Maul are massive time-sinks. Going into TBC/WotLK, Ramparts, Blood Furnace, and Utgard Keep might seem like good options, but you have to remember that you can queue for them starting at 58, which means some of your group might have really bad gear. But at the same time, WotLK questing isn't really all that fast either, despite having flight available right away(while TBC questing is a mistake if you're interested in speed).

MoP and Cata questing is some of the best laid out questing you can do. Mt Hyjal and Jade Forest exp/hour can rival later level(78-82) Kara trash if you're really on the ball. And from 83-88 there isn't really any better option besides Method-0 or dual box runs through Los City of Tol'Vir(which I'm not convinced is actually faster exp/h).
    Yup, thanks. I came to the same conclusion - that this is not a simple question in general, the times are too close to each other to make the answer clear.

Personally, though, after an evening of experimenting I decided to just skip instances and do quests. I am a tank so queue times are negligible (a minute tops), but (a) like you say, some instances are very long, (b) like you say, some groups are worse than others and kill very slowly. Most of all (c) even with everything ticking, the group killing fast and the instance being reasonable in size, after their scaling mobs still take way too long to kill and the end reward for that - even with all instance quests put together and even with all bonuses - is not that high, the best I saw was maaaaaybe 20% faster than questing. I suppose I could try to optimize that by running specific instances, but meh, I don't care enough to do that, there are still factors I won't be able to control and even in the super-best stars-aligned case the maximum potential benefit is pretty meh. So I'll just do quests.

I dislike the change to mob HP in instances, it made them pointless from my point of view. I mean, I am not doing them anymore, yeah, ggwp.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    nope - they nerfed it to the point that doin dungeons more then 1 time for quest completion is completly non efficient due to how much slower the pace in dungeons now is. its garbage compared to what it was before change
    Yes, this echoes my experience above. Thanks.
    Last edited by rda; 2018-05-17 at 09:19 AM.

I find dungeons pretty fun and fast

I dislike the change to mob HP in instances, it made them pointless from my point of view. I mean, I am not doing them anymore, yeah, ggwp.
    The interesting thing is that the same change which makes running dungeons tedious while leveling up also makes soloing them(or using Method-0) so much faster! Granted, it's not the 3 levels per dungeon you used to get while running at breakneck speed before 7.3.5. And honestly, that WAS a little ridiculous. But it's really the fastest way to solo.

I get what Blizzard was aiming for: Trying to get people used to the length of time and difficulty of dungeons for when they hit cap. The problem is that even with the larger bonus for completion, many classes don't have their full ability set to work with, or talents to make them fun. Sometimes they don't have good gear(if they haven't bothered with Heirlooms, for instance).

So...all in all, for someone interested in speed, outside of a select few dungeons(RFC, Stockades, Ramps), it's just not worth the time. Not in terms of any form of any reward(gold, gear, or experience) that a leveling character would be interested in.

They really should do a second balance pass to smooth things out.
    Last edited by SirCowdog; 2018-05-17 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post

all those changes were made so people get pissed and buy char boosts - and its working.
    First, the mob kill XP is not very good. The completion XP however is pretty good. Second, it has been said a few times already in this thread that some dungeons are quick enough that the XP is worth it. I don't know about pre-58, but I know for a fact that running Ramparts gets you half a level each run. Your speed is dictated by your group. I am currently leveling a Monk, healing through Ramparts runs and I gain a level with 2 runs. The problem is when you get a level 58 Warrior with crap gear and they're not smart with their pulls.

Don't you think it's possible that Blizz wants the leveling experience to actually be worth something? Of course they want to make money but not all of their decisions are about money. These changes were made to make leveling a better experience. Plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
    Don't you think it's possible that Blizz wants the leveling experience to actually be worth something? Of course they want to make money but not all of their decisions are about money. These changes were made to make leveling a better experience. Plain and simple.
    Yeah, yeah. It's now worth so much that I am not going to tank any instances at all, because they are a big hit and miss. Which means that three DPS in the queue also aren't going to do it. All for the non-existent "new" players who get screwed over in twenty ways by the game including right in those instances (the rewards are laughable and the fights are boring and don't teach anyone shit, because fights on max level all happen differently, you are simply using different abilities and in different sequence).

I am not saying they were not trying to do something useful, it's just that they failed hard.

IMO, the problem is leveling was the way it was for so long that's what people expect it to be now. Not many people are willing to accept that way was broken. Also, the scaling changes still need some work. They need to take another look at it.

Fastest way for me was rolling a monk for the XP Buff and the crazy mobility. 1-60 was fast, 60-80 damn slow. 80-90 was fast and 90-100 is crazy when you just collect the treasures in Draenor. 100-110 is also very fast doing Invasions.

Quest while in queue, do each dungeon only once, go straight to Northrend when able, go straight to Pandaria when able, collect treasures in Draenor instead of questing, do Legion Invasions.

Got to 110 in about 3.5 days played with heirlooms.

Quote Originally Posted by dudelsack View Post
    100-110 is also very fast doing Invasions.
    I heard a lot of people keep repeating this. And you DO get a lot of exp from the invasions. It's just finding enough invasions to make it reliable.

Is there something I'm missing? Cross-serve grouping or something to get more out of it than once a day(or however often they pop up?).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ceruion894 View Post
    Quest while in queue, do each dungeon only once, go straight to Northrend when able, go straight to Pandaria when able, collect treasures in Draenor instead of questing, do Legion Invasions.

Got to 110 in about 3.5 days played with heirlooms.
    3.5 days = 80 hours, which is slow.

Honestly, cut the dungeons out except Stockades, RFC, Ramparts, Blood Furnace. Focus on questing and don't screw around. Don't sit in town goofing off. Don't spend time at the AH. Have gold ready for flight training, and use your hearth intelligently to cut travel time.

Even with just questing you should be below 50 hours to 110.