Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    I noticed on Amazon that a lot of Asian-based clothing manufacturers structure their prices this way. Smaller sizes are cheaper than large ones.

As opposed to the US where a XS and XXL which used 3x as much fabric are the same price.

Nope. Not even close to being true. If I was a normal height and not 6'10" I wouldn't have to spend $70 or more on pants and $30-$40 on shirts that don't make me look like an Oompa Loompa. Oh and my size 16 extra wide feet are fun to shop for too.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDonald View Post
    Big (heuheu) controversy going on about a London retailer charging people more for + size clothing.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/16/w...k-fat-tax.html

The idea is pretty simple:
    Bigger size = more fabric
    Bigger size = more sitches
    Bigger size = smaller demand = more expensive production

Do you think this is fair? From an economical point of view it kinda is. But people are calling it a "Fat shaming tax" already.
    Thoughts?
    lots of online shops do this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by meroko View Post
    Requires more material so logically it should cost more. No debate here.
    This makes sense

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDonald View Post
    Big (heuheu) controversy going on about a London retailer charging people more for + size clothing.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/16/w...k-fat-tax.html

The idea is pretty simple:
    Bigger size = more fabric (That is a true statement).
    Bigger size = more sitches (No, not always true).
    Bigger size = smaller demand = more expensive production (No, not always true).

Do you think this is fair? From an economical point of view it kinda is. But people are calling it a "Fat shaming tax" already.
    Thoughts?
    We already pay more for clothings. And no, it isn't a fair point of view, especially not in a country without low economy. Clothings are after all needed to be able to get on the job market as well. If clothings were to become more expensive, you might as well just write every person who's either tall or overweight and put them on benefits.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

That's perfect. Anything to force people to get off their ass and work out.

We're not supposed to be fat, it's not normal, it's not healthy, it's not pretty. Stop being fat.
    Fat shaming is a good thing, even if you wrongfully disagree. If these fat people can't even realize their situation by themselves, might as well have people tell them what's up.

10+ Year Old Account
    We had this bullshit topic before but with a different twist. I'm sorry, you don't help an overweight person by forcing them to wear rags if they can't afford newer clothings.

Currently, I am basically being charged more for being taller than average, wider waist than average, wider shoulders than average, heck, even larger feet than average.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Swalload View Post
    That's perfect. Anything to force people to get off their ass and work out.
    Or anything to force people to shelter themselves and hide away. Wouldn't even be able to work out if you can't afford clothings for that either.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    I need to post some places - sorry for the interruption

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    It all kinda falls apart on babies clothes especially.
    Lol, indeed it does. But people are paying for more than just material at that point. Cuteness rules!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SensationalBanana View Post
    Pretty sure that many already do.

How about, instead of poking fun at fat people, we start demanding that the production of our clothes increases the workplace quality and salary of people at the bottom of the chain?
    or this: they can always just charge the same price for every size and then give a "health" discount instead, therefore no fat shaming, just giving incentive to the healthier approach to life

Ehm, we do?
    Other than it being harder to find (least here, don't know how it is in America) the prices do go up with the sizes. My XXL pants can, depending on the brand, cost 1.5x the rate of same pair in medium

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vynestra View Post
    I feel like the OP made this post thinking it'd bait people into getting into an argument about fat shaming or something.

But no, as a fat person myself it totally makes sense to charge more, it's not like we have fat people rights or fat equality, which would be stupid.

More materials = higher cost.

Fat people should understand that well, I mean when we order more food it costs more.
    Well, the logic is sound about material cost but that is where it stops. As well, just because you are fat doesn't always mean you consume more than the other person. Putting an increased price on something already expensive wouldn't help the problem. Would just be a cause for more problem. Heck, even the damn sugar tax in the UK works better than this idea.

It makes sense, but have you seen how expensive baby clothing is?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Lol, indeed it does. But people are paying for more than just material at that point. Cuteness rules!
    Don't tell me about it.. Nearly had a heart attack knowing I was going to buy a pair of outdoor shoes that she would grow out of soon for 95 dollars.

- - - Updated - - -

If clothings for overweight were to rise, then I would demand my daughter's clothings to be damn near free.

Um, what? 2XL+ sizes already do pay more.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Or anything to force people to shelter themselves and hide away. Wouldn't even be able to work out if you can't afford clothings for that either.
    Working out costs nothing. Go outside and run.

Anyway the price difference in clothing doesn't jump from 25 to 500, I'm sure it's rather small.

Everybody faces stupid shit they gotta deal with in life, no one is perfect, if your problem is paying slightly more for clothing it's really not that bad lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Shedim View Post
    Nope. Not even close to being true. If I was a normal height and not 6'10" I wouldn't have to spend $70 or more on pants and $30-$40 on shirts that don't make me look like an Oompa Loompa. Oh and my size 16 extra wide feet are fun to shop for too.
    I guess it depends on the brand and the article of clothing. My friend is 6'4 and I am 5'10 and we usually end up paying the same amount for clothes. At least for a lot of major retailers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Korsha View Post
    Ehm, we do?
    Other than it being harder to find (least here, don't know how it is in America) the prices do go up with the sizes. My XXL pants can, depending on the brand, cost 1.5x the rate of same pair in medium
    Oh, I know this too well. Even more when your waist and leg length is bigger than average, things gets harder to find. In the end, you end up being expensive online and paying shipping..

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Don't tell me about it.. Nearly had a heart attack knowing I was going to buy a pair of outdoor shoes that she would grow out of soon for 95 dollars.

- - - Updated - - -

If clothings for overweight were to rise, then I would demand my daughter's clothings to be damn near free.
    Jesus, it's brutal. And girl clothes are beyond ridiculous. We got lucky with our daughter, a classmate of my older son gave us her clothes, and they were all basically designer labels. I go goodwill every time I can with kid clothes. Make it a game for them - give them $XX.00 and see how well they can spend it.

10+ Year Old Account
    logically, yes.

plus, it may incentivise them to lose some weight, for their own good.
    it wont, but just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    I guess it depends on the brand and the article of clothing. My friend is 6'4 and I am 5'10 and we usually end up paying the same amount for clothes. At least for a lot of major retailers.
    Having to cover at least 6 more inches is somehow so expensive. Maybe if I wore jeans I could get some a little cheaper but since I was 21 or so I have only liked wearing slacks or dress pants.

Also I don't wear a wedding band. My ring size is a 19 1/2 apparently and the cost to size a ring up to me is insane.