Can someone on Alpha answer some questions about professions?

I'm trying to plan out my professions on my characters, and for the first time ever I'm completely swapping mains from two classes I normally play to a completely different role. The characters is practically brand new with nothing leveled or set in stone besides the secondaries I want (fishing/arch) and I'm trying to prepare them for BFA. That said, I have a few questions! Keep in mind, I'm trying to level just one character and not worry about an alt reaching max level for a couple of weeks to a few months, and I'm the primary income earner for my group of friends for raiding/keystones. (Basically I provide the gems, enchants, consumables, etc)

1] Is the profession system like legion in the sense that you have to do quests at max level in order to completely level a profession to max or unlock individual recipes? Is there any reason I need to have a second character maxed out?

2] Is there any disadvantage to using my main character as a double gatherer (herb/mining) to send these materials to my JC, alchemist, and enchanting alts at 110? Is there any specific BoP items I need for crafting?

TL;DR: Same leveling, but much easier, max level not needed.
    Unknown if it will change for live.

Gathering:

I currently have mining and herbalism almost maxed out.

Level 2 & 3 abilities are quests. The quests are easy, because of scaling. Some unlock from the main trainer at a certain *ability* level (not player level).

Some are from items that spawn from nodes after a certain ability level. They currently drop very quickly after reaching a profession level, not player level. They are not rare the way it was in Legion.

I have most level 3 mining techniques on a 120 without making any effort at all, and half of the herbalism level 3 techniques on a *level 111 alt* with no effort at all. (I hit 111 purely by gathering.)

Production:

Alchemy - I have every level 2 recipe except for cauldron on my level 111 alt. They were learned from the main trainer. This took no effort at all. Level 3s are almost all from revered reputations.

Engineering - I have many level 2 recipes - they came from the trainer. Some require honored reps, 2 pvp tokens, or world quests. There a few level 3s that I don't see requirements for, but overall, this is *much* easier than it was in Legion.

BfA will be moving to dividing recipes by expansion.

I have no idea how they'll be handling converting pre-BFA profession levels and recipes.

As for your questing at max level thing - I don't think that's a thing anymore in BfA. There are profession related quests but I was able to do em all at level 116

Quote Originally Posted by bluspacecow View Post
    As for your questing at max level thing - I don't think that's a thing anymore in BfA. There are profession related quests but I was able to do em all at level 116
    So those quests, do they reward anything I need? Like specific recipes, or do they just add to the ranks?

Quote Originally Posted by ruuBEN View Post
    So those quests, do they reward anything I need? Like specific recipes, or do they just add to the ranks?
    The quests I did were Herbalism related.

In BFA not only is Herbalism divided into Expansions but also into Gathering Techniques for each expansions herbs. The herblism quests were for different ranks of Gathering Techniques. The ranks make you more effective in gathering that type of herb.