Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorotia View Post
    No I don't...people just think they're right no matter what. Is why I don't offer help unless asked...and I'm not going to ask permission to give someone a pointer...if I suggest they play a little different they just ignore it or give a F-U.

It's not like I say "Hey newb, you're playing that fucking wrong...play it like so and so you dumbass."
    Then I am right you are a jerk...

Always ask permission first before mouthing off at people. You might be one of those people that think they are right also. ALWAYS ask, don't just tell people what to do. I 100% bet if you use those words I said you will never get a FU. You just come off very rude to people intervening on others. You aren't their boss, you are not their parent. You have no authority over them so don't act like you do. In the end of the day you are all playing a game.
    Last edited by mmoc2d9bdf7f11; 2018-05-24 at 07:54 PM.

If someone legit tells me they're new or asking for tips I'll gladly help but I'm getting the feeling a lot of them just try to blend in which makes it hard to separate the "bad because they dont know better" and "bad because they dont care" crowds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atraxxa View Post
    Pretty much this, except the dying to whelps part :P

Also I believe that cross realms had a huge impact on behavior across the board, back in the day when you only had your home server to play on people had to be accountable for their actions, if you were the a-hole of the server you weren't getting invites for much. I personally enjoy helping a new player out that genuinely wants to learn, always reminds me of the guy that helped me out when I was lost and stuck in stranglethorn vale surrounded by tigers and no clue how to get out hahah.
    Anecdotal experience, but I've played since vanilla and my original servers (Cairne/BWL) were full of assholes from the start. I actually saw worse things/comments back then than I do these days. I suppose these days people are a bit more informed when it comes to the kinds of action Blizz will take against an account.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zantera View Post
    If someone legit tells me they're new or asking for tips I'll gladly help but I'm getting the feeling a lot of them just try to blend in which makes it hard to separate the "bad because they dont know better" and "bad because they dont care" crowds.
    Personally I find that the 'don't care' crowds don't give enough of a shit to try and blend in. :P

e.g. "Don't stand in that, it'll kill you" "Who gives a fuck its LFR"
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BassTrombone View Post
    So a few weeks ago I was curious as to how other experienced players treat the new players. I know that I like to help them out to a certain extent but there comes a time when they have to be fine on their own. I posted a thread about it, like asking other experienced players how they feel. Honestly I thought there were going to be a lot more responses of people not wanting to help new players but that was surprisingly not the case. I mean like sure there were some, but there were also equal amounts of people who felt positively about new players and people who had no thoughts on them, they felt neutral.

I posted the question "when you are playing your main character, how lenient are you with new players and how much are you willing to help the new players in WoW? " on three different forums. This one, IcyVeins and WoWhead. 32 people actually responded with their thoughts and it was really cool to see how other people felt about newbies in the game. It literally came out to 10 people feeling positive, 10 people feeling negative, and 10 people just neutral about it which is totally not what I expected at all.

Anyone have thoughts?
    Did you originally post with a poll?

Depends on the mood I’m in, or how in a rush (which goes back to my mood).
    Sometimes and I can be chatty and helpful.
    Sometimes quite and aloof won’t care either way.
    Others I’m like gogogogo elitesquadfuckshitup. In which case noobies get the fuck out the way.

I do welcome new players though, but I never expected help when starting.
    "I don't contemplate, I meditate, then off your fucking head" -Kendrick Lamar
    "If you have no sauce, then you're lost. But, you can also get lost in the sauce."-Gucci Mane
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"-Colonel Sanders

I help new players if they're willing to learn. I remember PUGing in Warlords as the MT, and most of the time the off-tank would whisper me something like: "Uh, I've never tanked this boss before, how do I do this?" I would always be like: "It's simple, just taunt at such and such time, kite him in this direction when he uses this move, etc." And then we'd get by with little to no problems. They would then thank me for my advice and stuff, and I'd feel better about myself for a little bit. Even though the Dungeon Journal exists, but I still don't mind.

What I don't like are players like the Hunter/DK that refuses to follow instructions, the low level characters constantly begging me for gold/bags when I'm in Org, or the DK following me when I'm grinding professions or rep or whatever going: "KINGSPLZ" "KINGSPLZ" "KINGSPLZ". I just ignore/block them (rarely I would report them) and move on.

Being new and genuinely interested in learning how to play is perfectly fine. But asking for a free pass throughout the entire game makes me wonder why you would even bother with playing the game in the first place.

Old player or new players, always nice to help out.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    I'm sorry, but there cant be any real substantial amounts of "new" players coming into a game that is almost 15 years old with 6 almost 7 expansions to it and expect to be competitive or even have a comprehension of what the game is and what it is to us Veterans. I just cannot see that there are very many if any actual new players that have never played the game before that are coming into it with fresh eyes. If anyone is a "New" player they are probably just an old player from Vanilla, BC, or maybe Wrath that come back to check it out. The sad truth is the MMO genre is dying fast, everyone wants instant gratification with as little effort as possible. They do not want to sit in a raid with 10+ other people and take forever to farm bosses and wipe.
    We have at least 4 raiders in our top20sh world guild who started playing in Legion myself included. Even more if counted people who started playing in WoD. I know shit ton of people in top15-50 from other guilds who started playing just in Legion.

If anything, I don't know many people who used to be "casual" about game for long years (so didn't raid or raided some xd top100+) and then suddenly became top. However I know a lot of people who raided competitively for a long time. That being said, if someone plays a game for let's say few expansion as a casual, it is doubtful he will suddenly want to become relevant.

TLDR: people I know either made quite quick leap to top rankings since they started playing the game, or didn't make leap at all.

Found a brand new player in Occulus the other day. After we wiped once everyone except that player left.

We queued again for more and she said in party chat she was sad everyone left when she got it last time too
    because riding the dragons was cool but she couldn't get enough time to learn them. So while we waited for
    more I instructed her how to use the different ones.

I enjoy helping new players, found a few brand spanking new ones leveling my alts in legion

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by msdos View Post
    I used to run lowbies through dungeons back in vanilla. New players are actually my favorite players, they often have the best attitudes and curiosity about the game and it's possible to actually improve their experience. Older players are seemingly unimpressed by everything.
    Vanilla was a very different game in that sense though. Servers were communities - you would bumb into one another at a later time again. Guild names meant something (Ah you are from Legion V! Great bunch of lads!).

Between sharding, making open word play near solo able (or for the big weekly bosses you can pretend all others are NPCs) and the faster pace of the game this sense of community is no longer needed.

Quote Originally Posted by SensationalBanana View Post
    How anyone playing an MMORPG can be negative towards new players, is beyond me.

I have far more patience for new players being ignorant, than I do for experienced players being arrogant.
    Pretty much this. /thread

Quote Originally Posted by BassTrombone View Post
    So a few weeks ago I was curious as to how other experienced players treat the new players. I know that I like to help them out to a certain extent but there comes a time when they have to be fine on their own. I posted a thread about it, like asking other experienced players how they feel. Honestly I thought there were going to be a lot more responses of people not wanting to help new players but that was surprisingly not the case. I mean like sure there were some, but there were also equal amounts of people who felt positively about new players and people who had no thoughts on them, they felt neutral.

I posted the question "when you are playing your main character, how lenient are you with new players and how much are you willing to help the new players in WoW? " on three different forums. This one, IcyVeins and WoWhead. 32 people actually responded with their thoughts and it was really cool to see how other people felt about newbies in the game. It literally came out to 10 people feeling positive, 10 people feeling negative, and 10 people just neutral about it which is totally not what I expected at all.

Anyone have thoughts?
    my thought is : go make a fresh boosted level 110 and see for yourself how "helpfull" wow community is .

im sure you will be more then welcome in mythic + and raids

then come here and tell us how it went

im sure it will be amazing experience full of fun and joy

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sialina View Post
    Found a brand new player in Occulus the other day. After we wiped once everyone except that player left.

We queued again for more and she said in party chat she was sad everyone left when she got it last time too
    because riding the dragons was cool but she couldn't get enough time to learn them. So while we waited for
    more I instructed her how to use the different ones.

I enjoy helping new players, found a few brand spanking new ones leveling my alts in legion
    ye sucks to be new players in ever rushing to the end enviroment.

thats why blizzard should let people with multple alts to skips certain part of game so they dont make new players experience worse on purpose jsut because they are in hurry

lets say if you have 10 level 80 you can skip and start on level 40 , if you have 10 level 100 you can start from 60 and if in BfA if you have 10x120 you could start new alts from level 80.

this would ensure that people who dont want to be there dont make new players ...sad.

I admit, I am not always up for helping people to run dungeon or raid if they ask, but sometimes I do. But I always answer questions if people ask me and I can see that they are genuinely interested in something.
    One example was a person who asked me "how do I get/make this item" when I was selling a crafted legendary in trade chat. I told him how and that there are different armor type legendaries from different professions etc and then I explained him in general about professions, gathering etc. We talked a lot about simple stuff in game and I took him somewhere with my double seat mount and he said "wow that's a cool mount, I could take my friend everywhere with me and we could do stuff together (my friend is even noobier than me)" that kind of melted my heart a bit and I actually gifted him the chopper mount, for free. That was a good feeling, he thanked me for like 6 days in a row haha.

Deleted
    I never act like a dick to new players and try to be as helpful as I can.

That said, if you are max level and you don't understand the core workings of a class or the game in general, that's kinda annoying.
    I know 100+ boosts are part of that problem, but still annoying that some people do everything wrong. Even things that only require common sense, not even actual gameplay knowledge or experience.

7+ Year Old Account
    If something is long and confusing or something that is SUPER easy to google like "Where is this item' I will say
    "google the thing then look at the wowhead comments"

however if its something that might be difficult to find, or something super simple i will say "THis is it, but usually your best bet is to google it, so try that first before asking ingame"

also if we are max level and people are being absolute shit i am quick to call em out on it, i wont just leave though, ive stayedi n 15+ for an hour just cause i wanted to see it through.
    it wasnet till the end they told me they were sorry it was their first anything over +10 and i said sorry, they really were shit and really should maybe practice abit more before tanking and healing a 15+ but that its ok just they shouldnt try to do harder content then they can handle. specially something like M+ where its not easy to back out.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

If they ask me basic mechanics I kick them.
    But before doing that I explain that it's because you should be always prepared for the boss if you wanna get invite.

When I meet totally newb in the open-world that is asking me something trivial - I help them. Otherwise tell them to "google/wowhead/discord group".

Time is valuable, not going to explain ten times how to use KB + TB.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Anecdotal experience, but I've played since vanilla and my original servers (Cairne/BWL) were full of assholes from the start. I actually saw worse things/comments back then than I do these days. I suppose these days people are a bit more informed when it comes to the kinds of action Blizz will take against an account.
    Anecdotal as well, but I've seen very few people that have ever claimed what you say you experienced. Few enough that you're likely the exception to the rule. It's always the opposite, how servers were their own communities and how they policed themselves socially. If you were a troll/a-hole/etc. you weren't getting invites for any quality dungeon/farming groups, premade pvp groups, or raid teams, and you certainly weren't in any reputable, self-respecting guilds.

OT: I haven't seen any brand new players in Legion. It's only ones that played in classic/tbc/wotlk, quit for some reason or other, and have just now come back. I consider them new though, since a lot has changed in 8+ years. If they're looking for help, and I have the time/means to do so, I'll always lend a hand. Sometimes it's just a quick question/answer and they're on their way. Other times our initial back and forth turned to conversation and we became friends. I try and pay things forward because WoW has given me so much in return. I also understand how critically important first impressions can be for new and or return players. It's very easy for one or two bad experiences to turn those players away. I try and remind them that other people like me are scattered about throughout the servers, and all you have to do is ask. I also tell them that if they have any further questions they can add my character and ask me when they'd like. Not only can little things like that make a huge difference for them personally, but they might feel more inclined to do the same when and if they're ever in a similar position. That chance is well worth the price.
    Last edited by TheWorkingTitle; 2018-05-25 at 08:36 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Haven't come across any new players that I knew were new to the game since MoP.
    pretty much this, think i have met about 2 'new' players to the game this whole expansion, and they didn't stay for long, they wanted to get into mythic raiding but just simply weren't good enough nor were they willing to put in the effort needed to do so and as such lost interest in the game after getting boosted to AOTC etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWorkingTitle View Post
    Anecdotal as well, but I've seen very few people that have ever claimed what you say you experienced. Few enough that you're likely the exception to the rule. It's always the opposite, how servers were their own communities and how they policed themselves socially. If you were a troll/a-hole/etc. you weren't getting invites for any quality dungeon/farming groups, premade pvp groups, or raid teams, and you certainly weren't in any reputable, self-respecting guilds.

OT: I haven't seen any brand new players in Legion. It's only ones that played in classic/tbc/wotlk, quit for some reason or other, and have just now come back. I consider them new though, since a lot has changed in 8+ years. If they're looking for help, and I have the time/means to do so, I'll always lend a hand. Sometimes it's just a quick question/answer and they're on their way. Other times our initial back and forth turned to conversation and we became friends. I try and pay things forward because WoW has given me so much in return. I also understand how critically important first impressions can be for new and or return players. It's very easy for one or two bad experiences to turn those players away. I try and remind them that other people like me are scattered about throughout the servers, and all you have to do is ask. I also tell them that if they have any further questions they can add my character and ask me when they'd like. Not only can little things like that make a huge difference for them personally, but they might feel more inclined to do the same when and if they're ever in a similar position. That chance is well worth the price.
    Um... you having a different experience than me doesn't automatically make my experiences the 'exception'. That isn't how it works.

This game has always had its 'problem' players. Since beta. Since day 1 of it being live. Whenever you pull in MILLIONS of people there are gonna be bad apples, period. And to be clear, my mains were on those servers. I had toons scattered across 5 or 6 others and I saw plenty of douchebags on those as well. Elitists, trolls, racism in trade/general/guild, all that shit existed back then. Oh and if it became known you were a female? Harassment for days, as I found out.

Back when I played a priest I was briefly in a 'top guild' on my server and guild chat was full of some of the shittiest, most vile comments and people I've ever seen in this game. When I realized it was the culture of the guild, and not just a couple of players, I abruptly g-quit and was promptly bombarded with '?' and 'y u leave' whispers. That turned hostile AF when my only real friend there made it known why I left. It went on for several days until I got fed up enough with them to put in a ticket. Apparently I got a no-nonsense Blizz rep because that was instantly the end of that shit, and I even got a couple apologies to boot. Turns out the GM of that guild encouraged people there to fuck with me and harass me, because he was asshurt at the idea of someone not wanting to be part of his precious little group.

So yeah. It might be fun to pretend vanilla was a time of harmony and all the players holding hands, but it really wasn't.
    Last edited by Mirishka; 2018-05-25 at 09:26 AM.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

I usually go out of my way to greet new players, I found a new friend like a month ago, spent 2 hours helping him get his first non-gryphon mount (black drake) and catch a lot of cool new hunter pets for him. Obviously it depends on the player though, this was a fun person and honestly I haven't got much left to do pre-BFA and it's a lot of fun to see someone be happy over exploring and getting cool new shit.

From what I've noticed people are usually kind to new players unless they're horribly dragging something down. Are you in a dungeon and can't heal so the tank dies on every other pack? Kicked. But as long as they're not horrible most people I see have been very nice to them.

Deleted
    Like plebs they are.