Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OIS View Post
    Seems to be a typo. It's written with a capital W at the end of the letter.
    There's that relatable, flawed character we've been waiting for. I make typos too!

She gave him exactly what he asked for

Quote Originally Posted by Dagoth Ur View Post
    There's that relatable, flawed character we've been waiting for. I make typos too!
    I was wrong about Christie, 10 out of potato character development!

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    So it seems that, at least in Anduin's eyes, the Stormhein and Silithus incidents did not immediately cause the war. And given that we know he's not setting this up as a trap or anything, his intentions to avoid all-out bloodshed appear genuine.

This doesn't really help Sylvanas's case that the Horde must fight the Alliance for survival's sake.
    Of course he does not see it as a war, Anduin would never start a war. He prefers to "slither" into conflicts and than blame somebody else for starting it. Nice to see that you already provided the perfect examples for this.

Two other interesting things in the letter:

- Anduin admits that Sylvanas offer to join the Alliance was "refused", her messengers were killed intentionally.

- He breaks the rules for the meeting by allowing Calia to participate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagoth Ur View Post
    Welp. there goes argument that anduin doesn't have any flaws. I feel defeated now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    I want it to be a decapitated messengers head with "I accept" cut into his forehead.
    Or better, the messenger turns to a brainless undead.

Quote Originally Posted by Qualia View Post
    You can fight against each other without being in a war, though. Those are called conflicts (or armed conflicts if weapons are involved). A war only break out when one (or both) sides declare it.
    (One of the more recent real life examples would be the China - Vietnam conflict at the oil rig in the contested area. At a point, for a few days both sides' ships were shooting at each other, but in the end, it didn't escalate further into a war)
    That's just US presidents trying to avoid needing congressional approval for their wars.

Quote Originally Posted by Datigeraj View Post
    Or better, the messenger turns to a brainless undead.
    Can we see at least one time Sylvanas using her retinue of, you know, BANSHEES and possess someone as a spy?

So Anduin says that the people coming from the Alliance will be thoroughly vetted. Either he or whoever he had do the vetting did a supremely piss poor job at it. The fact that Calia Menethil was there from the Alliance shows how bad of a job at vetting they did. Even if she said she wasn't there to start anything, she should never have been there to start with. Anduin even makes mention of her brother and how he was responsible for them being in the position they are. He should have known that having her there would have been a MASSIVE issue, especially with Sylvannas.

I do not understand this line "Anduin must gain the trust of Sylvanas".

What?
    Sylvanas does not trust Anduin?
    The undead elf bitch who has been known for back-stabbings, plotting and scheming since the frozen throne is supposedly to be naturally trusted, but the golden prince priest boi is somehow not a trustworthy person compared to her?!

To top it all off this whole peace stuff is utter nonsense since we know in the cinematic that anduin and sylvanas armies clash.
    So we already know no peace will occur at the start of the expansion.
    So... all this peace stuff just falls flat on its face and becomes utterly uninteresting to read since there is zero uncertainty.

I never have any faith on Golden's ability of writing political/militaristic affairs but this books bring quite a few new lows:

We have already knew that Sylvanas left her capital city WITHOUT appointing a governor so an unofficial council could take over.
    And in this letter Anduin said "we are not at war" at the beginning, and only after a few paragraphs he said "let us make a ceasefire". You have to be at war to call a ceasefire, and a proper use of word is among the most important issue in diplomacy.

Since we can not claim that Sylvanas does not have any experience of ruling nor Anduin is a fool who does not know how to write a letter, the blame can only be laid on Golden.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    That's just US presidents trying to avoid needing congressional approval for their wars.
    The Vietnam-China conflict had nothing to do with US, though (or at least, as far as I know). I won't deny the part about leaders trying to play semantics to avoid needing approval from the congress, but it's semantics since it can technically work based on our real life's definition of war (by the UN, if I'm not wrong?). While we don't know if WoW share the same definition as ours, given this letter (and other bits in "Before the Storm"), Blizzard / Golden probably carried it over.
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang
    Donnons le sang de guillotine
    Pour guerir la secheresse de la guillotine
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post
    I do not understand this line "Anduin must gain the trust of Sylvanas".

What?
    Sylvanas does not trust Anduin?
    The undead elf bitch who has been known for back-stabbings, plotting and scheming since the frozen throne is supposedly to be naturally trusted, but the golden prince priest boi is somehow not a trustworthy person compared to her?!

To top it all off this whole peace stuff is utter nonsense since we know in the cinematic that anduin and sylvanas armies clash.
    So we already know no peace will occur at the start of the expansion.
    So... all this peace stuff just falls flat on its face and becomes utterly uninteresting to read since there is zero uncertainty.
    isnt like that anduin is the new king of the same alliance that basically made the backstab its main plan of attack: stormheim, andorhal, gilneas, lost isles.

Quote Originally Posted by s3ge View Post

- Anduin admits that Sylvanas offer to join the Alliance was "refused", her messengers were killed intentionally.
    Technically it is still possible that Alliance politely said "no" to Sylvanas's messenger but that unfortunately guy was killed on his/her way back.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GetCrunk View Post
    This bother me to, I don't denied Sylvanas does Very Bad thing's but as a Horde member I see the attack in Stormheim like an act of war. That was not only unprovoked attack on the Horde but was an assassination attempt on the Horde Warchief
    It is not the first time Blizzard simply ignored events that ought to be important without giving any valid explanation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfyre27 View Post
    So Anduin says that the people coming from the Alliance will be thoroughly vetted. Either he or whoever he had do the vetting did a supremely piss poor job at it. The fact that Calia Menethil was there from the Alliance shows how bad of a job at vetting they did. Even if she said she wasn't there to start anything, she should never have been there to start with. Anduin even makes mention of her brother and how he was responsible for them being in the position they are. He should have known that having her there would have been a MASSIVE issue, especially with Sylvannas.
    I don't think Calia is part of the Alliance at this point so it's possible she wasn't vetted at all because she followed Alonsus to the meet up and the Alliance didn't have anything to do with it. She's a neutral priest who has been in hiding with Foal this whole time. The first time she shows up is helping the High Priest get their artifacts and set up shop at Netherlight. Calia is no different to you if you're Horde.

Obviously I can see why she'd be a problem at this meet up, but I think the Alliance doesn't get a chance to stop her from going because she's with Foal and they probably don't know she's going.

Sorry about spoilers, but Calia isn't a problem until after the Naaru has it's way with her corpse. Only then does she suddenly change her mind and want to take the Forsaken throne.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash123 View Post

Since we can not claim that Sylvanas does not have any experience of ruling nor Anduin is a fool who does not know how to write a letter, the blame can only be laid on Golden.
    lets be honest, who does Anduin have to depend on when it comes to looking for peaceful solutions? His father was all about going into battle and fighting, he was an arena trained combatant so it reflected his rule. Jaina use to be someone who'd be the liaison for peace but she's now woody woodpecker levels of annoying and screwy.
    Genn wants any chance to decapitate Sylvanas so he's no good for it. Mathias Shaw is just to much of a military, more concerned with his job then looking for peace.

The other rulers have their own affairs to deal with and wouldn't have the time to back Anduin on looking for peace, some of them hating the horde as much as Jaina. Maybe Velen could, since he seems the type, but seeing him gathered with the other leaders for the allied race gathering, suggests he might not be the one to turn to.

Really, Anduins on his own in this attempt.
    #boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by Oneirophobia View Post
    Obviously I can see why she'd be a problem at this meet up, but I think the Alliance doesn't get a chance to stop her from going because she's with Foal and they probably don't know she's going.
    While it's true that she came there without Anduin being aware of it at first, he was actually told by Faol much earlier (way before she dropped her disguise). Anduin could have stopped it, but he was naive and trusted his words that Calia only came to observe (to be fair, it was the truth at that moment, Calia only decided to take action on an emotional impulse later). Technically, though, Anduin still didn't violate any agreement in that letter: Calia didn't come with the intention of harming any Forsaken members there, and she didn't harm any by herself in the end either.
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang
    Donnons le sang de guillotine
    Pour guerir la secheresse de la guillotine
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang.

Quote Originally Posted by s3ge View Post
    Of course he does not see it as a war, Anduin would never start a war. He prefers to "slither" into conflicts and than blame somebody else for starting it. Nice to see that you already provided the perfect examples for this.

Two other interesting things in the letter:

- He breaks the rules for the meeting by allowing Calia to participate.
    The bolded's a bit of a leap of logic. It is likely but hardly confirmed, and Stormwind's leadership isn't the same as back then.

Also, was Anduin even aware of Calia's presence? The versions and opinions I saw seem contradictory.

10+ Year Old Account
    The bolded's a bit of a leap of logic. It is likely but hardly confirmed, and Stormwind's leadership isn't the same as back then.

Also, was Anduin even aware of Calia's presence? The versions and opinions I saw seem contradictory.
    Don't recall well, but Faol was, but she wasn't suppose to reveal herself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, but not initially. She didn't come at his invitation or anything, she came with Faol. Anduin noticed her presence during the events but didn't seem to know of her coming beforehand.

Unless I'm mistaken, which is always possible.