Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    If you have something called a "brain cloud" you get a second opinion.
    Yeah, but many won't be smart enough for that, they just hear "you are going to die from a doctor".

Glad to see another old enough to have watched that.

Edit: Also, the internet wasn't really there at the time yet, so personal research also wasn't much of an option.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

This is not a one-sided matter, like for example stemcell reasearch is. Unproven drugs might as well give the patients 2 days to live instead of the six months previously estimated, then again, I guess it should be their own choice, just like the right to "pull the plug" if their existence is hopeless pain and misery. This is the first positive thing to come out of the current administration, that I can remember.
    Mother pus bucket!

Unfortunately the results of any drug tests on terminally ill patients taking experimental drugs won't be useable to any large degree. Terminally ill patients usually have multiple things failing and are most likely already or recently on a laundry list of other medications and chemo treatments. Trying to find if a drug is effective or whether it kills the patient would be hard to determine in these cases.

Not saying the terminally ill shouldn't try, just don't expect the drug to get approval just from their applications on the terminally ill and dying. It's one of the reason drug companies haven't pushed for this in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Drug research trials do not reach humans without at least having proven results in increasing complexity tiers of animals (rabbit-->canine/horse-->ape, etc).
    Yes, but with this bill, does it not bypass some of the need for them ?

Quote Originally Posted by Glnger View Post
    It will allow snake oil salesman to siphon money from desperate people for treatments that they will have to pay for in cash because their insurance won't cover the experimental treatments.
    The law already allows snake oil salesmen to siphon money from desperate people for treatments that they will have to pay for in cash because their insurance won't cover it. They just have to call it alternative medicine.

10+ Year Old Account
    More half-assed legislation really just allows big pharma to use human test subjects.

If it was really about the who was about to patient, like others have said, they'd legalize medicinal marijuana and options to terminate on your own terms. Current options are what, pumping the patient full of narcotics anyway. At least let them take something thats not going to make them feel even worse, so then they have to take a bunch of other shit to off-set the opiate.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by President View Post
    And if trump blocked it you would screech: "Trump is taking away any hope for terminally ill patients! What a monster"

No one cares about your feelings

This is something were he should have put regulations in place to protect people because you will have pharmaceutical companies take advantage of people so they can get data. An experimental drug yes but at what stage? what are the standards to allow humans to test it? we are talking about desperate people here there's just too much room for abuse. But I am sure you don't care, this is a more gray situation than black and white.

I will happily shit all over Trump 365 out of 365 days, but I don't actually have a problem with this. Yes, I acknowledge that statistically this is unlikely to help anyone, but it gives them hope and sometimes that's enough. Hopefully some of the people desperate enough to participate can also leverage their guinea-pig status into obtaining some palliative care funding from the pharmaceuticals in order to defray leftover costs for their families in addition to the drugs they're sampling.

Deleted
    So this is bad how? If you're a terminal patient you're doomed anyway, if the unproven drug kills you, so be it. If not you survive. Sounds like a rational choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by telygroar View Post
    Yes, but with this bill, does it not bypass some of the need for them ?
    (c) Definitions.--In this section:
    (1) Biological product.--The term ``biological product''
    has the meaning given to such term in section 351 of the Public
    Health Service Act (42 U.S.C. 262).
    (2) Device; drug.--The terms ``device'' and ``drug'' have
    the meanings given to such terms in section 201 of the Federal
    Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (21 U.S.C. 321).
    (3) Experimental drug, biological product, or device.--The
    term ``experimental drug, biological product, or device''
    that--
    (A) has successfully completed a phase 1 clinical
    investigation;
    In other words, pulling from the actual bill, it is required that they complete the phase 1 clinical trials (ie drug safety trials where general populace take it and observe side effects). This is several steps beyond animal trials in the chain.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    So this is bad how? If you're a terminal patient you're doomed anyway, if the unproven drug kills you, so be it. If not you survive. Sounds like a rational choice.
    Believe it or not, only one side of this equation is biased. If you actually read the thread (*SHOCK*) you'll see many Cheeto haters praising this new policy. We're not immune to trump doing something good, it's just so rare.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, since people don't like reading the article and love to just hate on pharma, the pathway to gain access to unapproved treatments for critically ill patients existed before under the FDA's compassionate use program:
    https://www.fda.gov/ForPatients/Othe...cm20041768.htm

This removes the need to get FDA approval. There are pros and cons to that but this is not really a game changer for most people.

To repeat in special bold font for the tl;dr crowd the ability to get unapproved treatment existed before this.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

10+ Year Old Account
    broken clock is right twice a day, wonder what messes will occur for the next twelve hours

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Believe it or not, only one side of this equation is biased. If you actually read the thread (*SHOCK*) you'll see many Cheeto haters praising this new policy. We're not immune to trump doing something good, it's just so rare.
    Yep. This isn't a totally bad thing.

The only part that concerns me is this bit:
    The measure gives people diagnosed with life-threatening conditions who have exhausted treatment options access to unproven drugs without needing permission from the Food and Drug Administration.
    If used correctly, this could simply eliminate a bureaucratic hurdle. But given that most things aren't done correctly in CAPITALISM, this will also inevitably mean that a lot of absolute junk will be marketed to the terminally ill by preying on their weaknesses. It'll really be up to regulators to make sure it doesn't get abused.

No one cares about your feelings
    Says the guy who has literally posted nothing on this forum except his hurt feelings LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    I post here dont I?
    Bazinga.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Says the guy who has literally posted nothing on this forum except his hurt feelings LOL.
    People with ear scalps and trashy tattoos can't hurt my feelings, don't you worry.

People with ear scalps and trashy tattoos can't hurt my feelings, don't you worry.
    The way you fling your self-pity around it kind of seems like nothing can fail to hurt your feelings LOL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    The way you fling your self-pity around it kind of seems like nothing can fail to hurt your feelings LOL.
    You're right. I'm a fragile rose.

You're right. I'm a fragile rose.
    The rational right, constantly talking about the Left's feeling while simultaneously letting their fear guide their choices on election day. Must be exhausting to be full of so much hypocrisy and self loathing.

15+ Year Old Account
    I was wondering why this sounded too good to be true.

This was penned and passed by congress, and then passed the Senate, and Trump then got to put his signature on it. Trump taking credit for someone else's work though, what else is new. Must be a day ending in Y.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"