Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dbaum23 View Post
    The dog that did the mauling was actually owned by the mothers boyfriend. Not the grandparents. They were watching it cause he is deployed in the marines.
    it doesn't matter who owns it. The dog lives with the grandparents of the child, and is only in the child's presence for babysitting purposes, and not even on an every day basis. Consistency plays a major role. This includes how the dog is treated in temporary care. So even assuming the mother and father of the child did all they could to make sure the dog was treated well and trained how to act around the child, introducing it into a home for temporary care, where you have no control over how the dog is cared for while you are gone, and adding it in with a group of other dogs which you have no control over, and then expect that dog to behave in the same manner, you are just asking for trouble somewhere along the line.

Again, it is what it is, and the dog killed the child, but I still call bullshit on the "blame the breed" mentality. That is my point. And bringing to light that the dog isn't even in its home environment and under the care of its owner, just furthers my point.

My wife and I moved to a new city to change careers last year, and had to leave our 10 and 11 year old with their grandparents to finish out their school year for 6 weeks. We visit them all the time, but when they had to live there temporarily, guess what? They both started acting out, getting into trouble, behaving differently. Why do you think that is? Because 1. My parents' discipline structure is much different than my wife and I's, and 2. They are out of their natural environment. And as soon as they finished school and moved back in with us in our new home in a new city....guess what? Yep, they quickly returned to their normal selves. Intelligent animals, of which pit bulls are included, react that way because it is natural for them to.

It is a sad situation, no matter how you look at it. But people skewing facts and hammering it down our throats as gospel to further their agenda is ridiculous. My best friend growing up is a convicted drug dealer, but because I was friends with him, I must be a drug dealer too, right? My semi-successful career is a farce! Guilty by association....the same mentality all the "blame the breed" people have. Or better, all my black friends must be criminals, because black people commit the most crimes per capita, right? I know that is a little of tangent from what you were stating dbaum23, but the more garbage I see spit out(not necessarily by you) the more it agitates me.

Quote Originally Posted by Martymark View Post
    Corgis are well known for their danger to cabbages. You should get a pit bull instead. Your cabbages will be safe, although they will probably kill your children.
    Can’t stop laughing at this awesome comment. +10 internets

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Melius View Post
    "but but its not the dogs fault its the owners for not bringing him up right" excuses incoming.
    Incoming perhaps, but not before the owners of the animal are apparently let off the hook completely because of the breed of the dog. At this point, you could've committed genocide, killed billions of people, tortured the animal for years, kept it starving to the brink of death, then left a baby in it's bowl on purpose, and when the dog would eat the baby, you'd be absolved, because hey, it was a pit bull.

Having a pit bull seems to be a 100% freedom from responsibility whenever something involving the animal happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Incoming perhaps, but not before the owners of the animal are apparently let off the hook completely because of the breed of the dog. At this point, you could've committed genocide, killed billions of people, tortured the animal for years, kept it starving to the brink of death, then left a baby in it's bowl on purpose, and when the dog would eat the baby, you'd be absolved, because hey, it was a pit bull.

Having a pit bull seems to be a 100% freedom from responsibility whenever something involving the animal happens.
    Umm I have not seen that in any pit bull thread ever, people blame the owners for owning the breed and/or not training the dog property. Blaming the owner happens on both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/miami-bab...092512847.html

Still can't believe people allow pitbulls around small children.
    The owner should be charged with murder.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post

No evidence was provided showing the owner to be abusive or training the dog to be violent.

The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The pitbull defence force out again. Accept it, they're a violent breed.
    Me not that kind of Orc!

"According to dogsbite.org, on average nearly two thirds of all fatal dog attacks in the U.S. are committed by pit bulls."

/thread to anyone defending the pitbull breed, i love facts and not biased nonsense.

You shouldn't have a Pitbull for the same reasons you shouldn't have a pet tiger, learn from Siegfried and Roy.

Quote Originally Posted by Melius View Post
    oh surprise, suprise its a pitbull again. "but but its not the dogs fault its the owners for not bringing him up right" excuses incoming.
    Well actually it's both.

A pitbull is naturally more aggressive than most dogs without a doubt. That doesn't mean you can't get perfectly tame or trained ones, and of course the dogs upbringing does have a impact on it's behaviour.
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Harvey View Post
    The owner should be charged with murder.
    Did you miss the part where the owner of the dog is serving overseas in the military? Yeah, TOTALLY his fault. And yes, that statement is oozing with sarcasm. Based on the information we have, it is impossible to place blame on anyone at this point. Now, if we come to find out that the owner, or caretakers of the dog, mistreated and abused it, creating an environment where this exact situation was eventually bound to happen, then yes, I would agree with that statement, but so far there is no evidence of that being the case at all. Why don't we reserve judgment until investigations are complete and actual facts in regards to the situation are given?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    You shouldn't have a Pitbull for the same reasons you shouldn't have a pet tiger, learn from Siegfried and Roy.
    Yeah......I hate when I go on African safaris and get attacked by the packs of wild pitbulls........

Quote Originally Posted by Xaxien View Post

Yeah......I hate when I go on African safaris and get attacked by the packs of wild pitbulls........
    Talking about missing the point, do animals nave instincts? Do different breeds have temperaments? By the way, people have died from being attacked by packs of dogs.

pitbulls are a scourge, the mere fact that if we eliminated them, it would lower deaths by dogs by around 75%, is insane.

Get a cat they poop in a box and don’t eat your babies.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Talking about missing the point, do animals nave instincts? Do different breeds have temperaments? By the way, people have died from being attacked by packs of dogs.
    Speaking of missing points......your statement compared owning a PITBULL to owning a TIGER.......one is an animal that is indigenous to the wild(that's the tiger, in case you are confused) and one is bred in a controlled environment, for the most part, to be a pet. You comparing the two like they are somehow even remotely the same thing is completely and utterly ridiculous.

And thank you for supporting my point in your final statement. Yes, people have died from being attacked by packs of DOGS. That is a might exclusive statement. While all pit bulls are indeed DOGS, not all DOGS are pit bulls. Funny fact, do a little searching and you will find that the latest reported death via "pack of dogs" was in fact by a vicious deadly breed of....wait for it......wiener dogs......

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    It's not a popular/common breed, pit bulls account for 6% of all dogs and 65% of all fatal attacks since 2005.

It's a *status* dog so yes it is popular and because of it's popularity it's also common the same applies to the Staffordshire Bull Terrier here in the UK, many many chavs own them and because of that they get a bad rep for attacks etc, people have also been trying to ban them too.

Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    pitbulls are a scourge, the mere fact that if we eliminated them, it would lower deaths by dogs by around 75%, is insane.
    Agreed. I really fucking hate that breed. I was nearly attacked last year by one in my driveway that was being extremely aggressive. This is one reason why I don't let my kids out into the front yard.

Quote Originally Posted by Stravs View Post
    It's a *status* dog so yes it is popular and because of it's popularity it's also common the same applies to the Staffordshire Bull Terrier here in the UK, many many chavs own them and because of that they get a bad rep for attacks etc, people have also been trying to ban them too.
    I just told you that pit bulls account for 6% of all dogs here in the US, I can tell you're confused lol read what I said again.

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/ne...-ranking-list/ notice how far down the list AST/SBT are. That is because they are in fact NOT popular relative to other dog breeds.

I don't mean to be rude but pit bulls are only status dogs if you're low SES.

Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    Would it be right to just kill them all? The worst part is this situation could be avoided, for the sake of both the child and the dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldrefreader View Post
    Would it be right to just kill them all? The worst part is this situation could be avoided, for the sake of both the child and the dog.
    no need to kill, just make breeding illegal with steep penalties for breeding/owning, this will make them so scarce, only those with disposable income could even obtain them illegally.