Need help with new PC Build

Hello everyone,

I am planning to build a new PC

Budget
    $2000.00

Parts
    Just got a GTX 1080 Founders Edition
    I want a RGB PC
    I was thinking 2 of RGB Ram 16GB x2https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...dtYWlsLmNvbQ==

Need help getting everything else.

Thank you!

Do you need 32 GB Ram ?
    Do you want to OC ?

I made you a list:

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZfGjnH
    Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZfGjnH/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($347.00 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair - H150i PRO 47.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($169.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Taichi ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($207.88 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($191.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($43.09 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: be quiet! - Dark Base 700 ATX Mid Tower Case ($169.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - PRIME Ultra Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1349.92
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you need a monitor or OS? If not, then:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU Cooler: EVGA - CLC 280 113.5 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($109.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($252.88 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($107.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($249.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - PRIME Platinum 750W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $1575.71
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-07 09:19 EDT-0400

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    Do you need a monitor or OS? If not, then:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU Cooler: EVGA - CLC 280 113.5 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($109.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($252.88 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($107.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($249.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - PRIME Platinum 750W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $1575.71
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-07 09:19 EDT-0400
    Literally miyagie's build but more expensive for no reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo X View Post
    Literally miyagie's build but more expensive for no reason.
    Yeah I mean, obviously no reason to have a NVME SSD system drive + large SATA SSD over a SATA SSD system drive + HDD.

Yeah I mean, obviously no reason to have a NVME SSD system drive + large SATA SSD over a SATA SSD system drive + HDD.

Yo OP if you want to throw money in the trash and pay double the price for storage to get that 0.1 second off your loading screen go ahead and listen to this guy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yo OP if you want to throw money in the trash and pay double the price for storage to get that 0.1 second off your loading screen go ahead and listen to this guy.
    Oh I see you're one of those people.

With a 2000$ budget there is zero reason to have any noisy and slow HDD's in your system. Get a NAS with HDD's if you want pure storage space.

Just because you CAN spend money doesn't mean you SHOULD or that its a worthwhile investment. I could put 64GB of RAM if I wanted to. Doesn't mean its worth the money. So..
    noisy and slow HDD
    You'll notice almost no difference in speed from an HDD to SSD if you're just using it as mass storage (images, documents, movies, music, etc.) and modern HDDs will be around 18dB which is less than a whisper. I wish people would stop spouting this bs. Its funny because my main gripe wasn't using SSDs. It was the fact you wanted to put an NVME in it. Which is utterly pointless. Same real world performance is going to be seen from a sata SSD for half the price.

edit: Going to elaborate here. If you want to put double SSDs in the system just put 2 sata because you're going to get double the storage space for the same price and you're not going to have a performance difference.

HDDs still have a place in building. The price point is unbeatable for now. They are not some thing of the past. They are not "noisy". They do what they're made to do and they do it well. They are for mass storage.

edit2: I've found some louder HDDs at around 23 dB so I take back my "loudest" hdd comment. But 23dB is still slightly over a whisper.
    Last edited by Vertigo X; 2018-06-08 at 02:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just because you CAN spend money doesn't mean you SHOULD or that its a worthwhile investment. I could put 64GB of RAM if I wanted to. Doesn't mean its worth the money. So..

You'll notice almost no difference in speed from an HDD to SSD if you're just using it as mass storage (images, documents, movies, music, etc.) and the loudest modern HDD I can find is 18dB which is less than a whisper. I wish people would stop spouting this bs. Its funny because my main gripe wasn't using SSDs. It was the fact you wanted to put an NVME in it. Which is utterly pointless. Same real world performance is going to be seen from a sata SSD for half the price.

edit: Going to elaborate here. If you want to put double SSDs in the system just put 2 sata because you're going to get double the storage space for the same price and you're not going to have a performance difference.

HDDs still have a place in building. The price point is unbeatable for now. They are not some thing of the past. They are not "noisy". They do what they're made to do and they do it well. They are for mass storage.
    The point was that OP said he has a 2000$ budget. To me that means he can afford to get some things that are "nice to have" but not entirely necessary.
    There is after all a bit of a difference between a SATA SSD and NVME drive, no where near as massive as between a HDD and SATA SSD, but it's still there.

Here's a pretty good test in WoW for example:

As for HDD's, yeah they still have a use as storage devices. But there are better ways than keeping them in your computer, such as a NAS or a small server which also allows you to access those files from whatever other devices you have without having your computer turned on all the time. Obviously if you're on a tight budget that's not something that's realistic but believe me, it's a very convenient "nice to have" thing.

You say HDD's aren't noisy, I say they are. I actually tested this with a new WD Red 4TB disk a couple months ago, I put it in my server but wanted to test how noisy it was in my computer first since I haven't had any HDD's in my current case which has soundproofing. It was very clearly heard above any other component in my PC apart from the GPU fan during gaming.

Hell, some time ago I even had to build a box with soundproofing on the inside and put my server inside it, with 3 layers of rubber feet between the server and the floor, because the vibration from the HDD's (3 of them in total at that point) would travel through the walls and floor of my closet (where I have the server) to my bedroom on the other side of the wall and disturb me when I was trying to sleep.

Hell, some time ago I even had to build a box with soundproofing on the inside and put my server inside it, with 3 layers of rubber feet between the server and the floor, because the vibration from the HDD's (3 of them in total at that point) would travel through the walls and floor of my closet (where I have the server) to my bedroom on the other side of the wall and disturb me when I was trying to sleep.
    Sounds like a princess and the pea story to me.

Sounds like a princess and the pea story to me.
    I thought on the noone knows that iam a dog on the internet meme.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobkillz View Post
    Hello everyone,

I am planning to build a new PC

Budget
    $2000.00

Parts
    Just got a GTX 1080 Founders Edition
    I want a RGB PC
    I was thinking 2 of RGB Ram 16GB x2https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...dtYWlsLmNvbQ==

Need help getting everything else.

Thank you!
    Need a use case before deciding how to design a system. Do you play FPS games? Do you do video editing? Because I could build out a threadripper that isn't going to be as good as an 8086k for 3 shooters, but no contest when it comes to multi core usage in video editing etc.

Here's a pretty good test in WoW for example: <snip>
    what the fuck? my 5400rpm 1tb hdd took at most 2-3 seconds longer to load wow than my 840 evo. shenanigans!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by the boar View Post
    what the fuck? my 5400rpm 1tb hdd took at most 2-3 seconds longer to load wow than my 840 evo. shenanigans!
    Gonna just put this out there, loading times aside, games with open worlds like WoW benefit more from data streaming from the storage drive, less hitching occurs.

I've moved several mmos from HDDs to SSDs such as the secret world and wildstar and they saw the biggest improvements when it came to data streaming when moving about.