Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldielocks View Post
    No? Why would it be one? How does being left handed impede on survival or passing on genes?
    Being gay really isn't a "condition" either.

Sounds like some choice cherry picking here, but there is also data that suggests a positive correlation between higher IQ and homosexuality.

Also, of course Inquisitr would be writing an article on this paper....

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/inquisitr/

Quote Originally Posted by TrollHunter3000 View Post
    So, you're using a survey that simply asks about reading scripture and see the bible as god's words and interpreting that as being anti-LGBT? This is an astounding amount of mental gymnastics. Many people interpret the bible differently.
    It's not uncommon to see the two linked.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    It was simply a response to what seemed like an inference that evangelical whites reign supreme over other racial groups in what could be described as "anti LGBT" views. Historically, religious individuals in America have been in opposition of same-sex couples, and a greater percentage of them are non-white. Admittedly, we'd have to divide out each racial subset in the Pew study to find out the racial breakdown of same-sex marriage support, but my point was more about religiosity in racial makeup.
    And his point is that your source was inappropriate and you made an illogical leap in your argument. His source completely shatters your wet dream by a huge margin.

And his point is that your source was inappropriate and you made an illogical leap in your argument. His source completely shatters your wet dream by a huge margin.
    I don't think the leap was illogical. But he provided sourced material that soundly clarified the issue and I thanked him for educating me. This is what discussion is all about.

It's not uncommon to see the two linked.
    Yeah, mainly in white people. As evidenced in the other survey you were shown.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think the leap was illogical. But he provided sourced material that soundly clarified the issue and I thanked him for educating me. This is what discussion is all about.
    It was illogical. You were assuming a connection with no proof where in fact, proof existed to show the opposite. Next time do some more googling before race baiting.

Anyone who admits to being bigoted is an idiot
    "He who lives without discipline dies without honor" - Viking proverb

It was illogical. You were assuming a connection with no proof where in fact, proof existed to show the opposite. Next time do some more googling before race baiting.
    I don't think it was, and I'll explain why. I have to be careful, I really don't want to get into nitty gritty details about religious text, namely because it's against the rules. But in a broad stroke, there's certainly material in Protestant text that is inciteful toward the LGBT community. So it would stand to reason that a group which holds more strictly to these texts would be less supportive of LGBT issues than a group who held these texts in lesser regard.

But also, and I edited this in later, I'm a white guy who holds religious views in line with these studies, so I don't view it as a bad thing that these racial groups adhere in greater numbers than white people do. We could do much less with the anti-LGBT sentiments, but I think the religious element to Blacks and Hispanics is a quality that whites would do well to re-incorporate (again, without the anti-LGBT legislation/attacks).

The guy in this meme is what we think of as "backwards" or "redneck" or "hillbilly". It means he's not very educated.

It's a meme used to make fun of what these people think about gays, blacks, women, Asians, etc.

In a way it's a prejudiced view of people who look like this, they might look like this and be enlightened AF but probably not.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Shaetha View Post
    Semi related question. Would you consider bigotry and the prejudices caused by it a way of less intelligent individuals to protect themselves from having to challenge themselves?
    Sometimes, not always. Some people are just supremely self-confident that their beliefs are the right one. Its not always low intelligence, sometimes its just plain old stubborness (case in point, some members of my family).

Quote Originally Posted by Kaeth View Post
    Care to elaborate? I couldn't find a link to the full paper that wasn't behind a paywall.
    I pretty much always use Sci-Hub. It's of questionable legality, but you can get pretty much every paper there.

The highest of their R^2 values for was 0.2. In actual sciences, that might as well mean "not correlated".

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman31 View Post
    Anyone who admits to being bigoted is an idiot
    Full text of the study is behind a paywall and I don't feel like logging in tonight to get to it.

Curious to see if they mentioned this as a limitation. Anyone with reasonable cognitive ability know the "right" answers to the questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I pretty much always use Sci-Hub. It's of questionable legality, but you can get pretty much every paper there.

The highest of their R^2 values for was 0.2. In actual sciences, that might as well mean "not correlated".
    Eck. But it's social psychology and it fits the narrative = publish.

Sound like someone got a grant to push a stereotype.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimjinx View Post
    Lets not forget that being stupid is as much of a choice as being homosexual. Hating or looking down on people because of something they have no control over might indicate you're also of low cognitive ability.
    I like that point. While nobody is stupid, some just consider their immediate concerns to be more important than social ones. This type of individual will "go with the crowd" as long as nobody takes their grain away.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
    Sound like someone got a grant to push a stereotype.
    Welp, it's good work if you can get it.

Deleted
    To be honest, many people are branded as homophobic just for disliking pride parades. I, for example, don't care what you do in your bedroom, but seeing the gay parades in big western cities is disgusting, naked people on the streets, people walking on all four pretending to be dogs and other degeneracy (inb4 that doesn't happen, I have seen it, I think the vid was from San Francisco). I'd go as far as to say that pride parades are counter-productive, because people there definitely don't behave nor they look normal, some of them actually ruin the image of gay community.

And don't even get me started on those pre-pubescent tranvestites that are popping up everywhere in Canada and USA. That shit is wrong and vile.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrages View Post
    All of these SJW studies always feel like they're about as legitimate as the wage gap studies. It's all polish, but don't take even a remotely close look at the actual evidence.
    The actual evidence that totally shows bigotry isn't largely a function of ignorance? Such as?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Archeus9 View Post
    To be honest, many people are branded as homophobic just for disliking pride parades. I, for example, don't care what you do in your bedroom, but seeing the gay parades in big western cities is disgusting, naked people on the streets, people walking on all four pretending to be dogs and other degeneracy (inb4 that doesn't happen, I have seen it, I think the vid was from San Francisco). I'd go as far as to say that pride parades are counter-productive, because people there definitely don't behave nor they look normal, some of them actually ruin the image of gay community.
    Then don't attend or watch. Pride parades aren't for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    The actual evidence that totally shows bigotry isn't largely a function of ignorance? Such as?
    Could you please explain how to design a study to correlate intelligence with some other variable when intelligent people are smart enough to know what the "right" answers to the questions are? Again, this study is behind a paywall and I can't get to it from home easily but will read tomorrow. I can think of a ton of confounders which would be almost impossible to control for.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Then don't attend or watch. Pride parades aren't for you.
    The world is watching, and pride parades are the best thing for homophobes, since people there behave like they are deranged. And there is no reason for closing a part of a city just so people can walk around in animal costumes or piss on each other (yes, I have seen that too), being proud of that is a mental illness. What's the reason for pride parades anyway? If it's all just to "spread awareness", then all the awareness you are spreading is a negative one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrages View Post
    It was just speculation. For a while, all you ever heard was wage gap this and wage gap that, until people actually looked into the studies and found out the wage gap is a farce. It also depends on how you define the terms of the study. Like, how was racism defined? Was it something like "do you dislike x group, and why?" or was the "why?" even asked, did they differentiate between dislike of a group based on any statistical reasoning or was it only defined as blind hatred? It's very simple to do a simple study, and none of these intelligence being linked to racism studies seem too deep. They seem to only exist to enforce an agenda, of which we know almost all sociology departments are infiltrated wholly by SJWs.
    So, nothing then.

I'm highly amused by the people who talk smack about the social sciences while miraculously claiming to be experts in the same thing.

Leave policy to the technocrats, sweet cheeks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Archeus9 View Post
    The world is watching, and pride parades are the best thing for homophobes, since people there behave like they are deranged.
    Homophobes don't need any justification for being cunts, just so you're aware.

And there is no reason for closing a part of a city just so people can walk around in animal costumes or piss on each other (yes, I have seen that too)
    Because as we all know, pride is the only public event in which behavior of this sort occurs and this totally isn't trying to paint outliers as representative of the norm to facilitate a bigoted agenda as evidenced by ridiculous comments towards trans teens.

What's the reason for pride parades anyway? If it's all just to "spread awareness", then all the awareness you are spreading is a negative one.
    If you can't infer the reason for Pride being a thing based on the name, I don't know what to tell you besides; get on our level, basic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.