Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    In England proper, no, its not terribly popular. But its gaining ground in the Celto-linguistic spots and in other Atlantic coast areas that once had a spoken Celtic language.
    I was looking at various numbers for Celtic language speakers, I knew that the situation was not bright but damn.

Celtic nations should pursue revitalization of their native languages as much as possible, but I do not know if they hold enough strong political will for such things.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Realitytrembles View Post
    Arabia, in the late 570s AD , and kill a certain person in his infancy, thus ending a certain tyrannical philosophy before it starts.

I can't say which one on this far-Left echo chamber of a site, or I'll get infracted.

+1 , you beat me to it.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    I never said selling? Don't put words into my mouth to make a defence. I said personal gain. You don't need to sell it for it to be a personal gain, I collect swords myself it's a hobby which I gain out of it personally, by enjoying looking at them. Secondly, your original post didn't mention anything about reverse engineering or doing anything in the slightest for anyone else's benefits.

So I didn't actually assume anything, I just drew a logical conclusion from your 1 sentence reply. You literally said, make a collection. If I wanted to be a arse hat about it, I could assume when you say "lost", what you actually meant was go back to a point they weren't lost and take them, which would make you a thief on top of everything else.

Based on that, my point stands. Stelio was one end of the spectrum and you were the total opposite.

Everything aside, it was just meant with a pinch of light hearty humour, which has clearly gone whoosh right over your head.
    "Oh hey this guy is a total asshole!" OMG I was joking jeez!

Not to mention potential ripples. "Oh hey I'm going to totally change this massive event in human history, and everything will just turn out peachy forever" all you're doing is making more work for yourself since you'll now have to go and fix every other part of history that didn't go your special way. if anything, massively altering history for one's own views is quite selfish.

and by going back to when they were lost I mean going to the point in history when the weapon was recorded as lost. IE: when roland hurled away Durendal to keep it from the saracens as he was being overwhelmed. Current conjecture even holds that the one currently embedded in the rock face is a duplicate so I can bring one and leave it there without even altering the time line.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't chance anything. Leave all the horrors humans have committed, untouched. Why? Because undoing something like, say, the Nazis would immensely change the world. Possibly for the better, but perhaps not. Such a chance would likely make me end up unborn, which is rather inconvenient.

Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Druid View Post
    Say you're given the ability to travel to an alternate universe identical to our own (ala WoD) at any point in human history with the ability to alter the course of history almost however you want. What would you do and why?

I would go back a 1,000 and introduce European domesticated animals to North America, just to see how the various civilizations and cultures would manage to develop with horses and sheep and others by the year 1492. Whether or not certain parts would be societally comparable to Europe and Asia.
    I like your idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Realitytrembles View Post
    Arabia, in the late 570s AD , and kill a certain person in his infancy, thus ending a certain tyrannical philosophy before it starts.

I can't say which one on this far-Left echo chamber of a site, or I'll get infracted.
    I like your idea as well. Not because "fuck Muslims" or anything like that, but because it might end up preserving the center of scientific knowledge that was Baghdad.

And stop with the victimization. It's just sad to read.

Oh, sorry. Thought you were referring to Al-Ghazali. He was born much later.
    Last edited by Santti; 2018-06-08 at 02:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Quote Originally Posted by kasuke06 View Post
    "Oh hey this guy is a total asshole!" OMG I was joking jeez!

Not to mention potential ripples. "Oh hey I'm going to totally change this massive event in human history, and everything will just turn out peachy forever" all you're doing is making more work for yourself since you'll now have to go and fix every other part of history that didn't go your special way. if anything, massively altering history for one's own views is quite selfish.

and by going back to when they were lost I mean going to the point in history when the weapon was recorded as lost. IE: when roland hurled away Durendal to keep it from the saracens as he was being overwhelmed. Current conjecture even holds that the one currently embedded in the rock face is a duplicate so I can bring one and leave it there without even altering the time line.
    Well firstly I was, most people were capable of seeing that by the end bit where I went "Made my chuckle". For the record, I do think you're a bit of an arse but that's only by the last two replies you've sent me, nothing to do with your first initial post.

Secondly, wut? I never said I'd change anything at all?? The only thing I said on the subject was to a guy; that in theory he could alter the fuck he wants and still make sure he's born, never said there wouldn't be any repercussions or mistakes. Hell I didn't even mention or talk about any specific event. But there you go again I guess, putting words into my mouth? Seriously stop, you're literally coming across as someone who making up BS to try to make a argument.

Third, you're last line completely contradicts what you said in your 2nd paragraph. You're happy to say "massively altering history for one's own views is quite selfish" but your also happy to go and replace a genuine article with a fake because the people of that time won't know any better? or because they won't miss it? I'm genuinely curious with your one specific example if the story can be traced 100% accurately to the point it would be "Safe" for you to do what you want with it.

Finally. Dude, my man, seriously get some help. All you're doing is typing a few sentences of gibberish (and coming from the man whose an expert in waffling nonsense at the best of times, that's saying a lot. Not only that, I can feel you're angry and getting worked the fuck up over a hypothetical situation and a initial joke. You're sitting there just getting more and more annoyed. Like a spring getting more coiled ready to go off.
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well firstly I was, most people were capable of seeing that by the end bit where I went "Made my chuckle". For the record, I do think you're a bit of an arse but that's only by the last two replies you've sent me, nothing to do with your first initial post.

Secondly, wut? I never said I'd change anything at all?? The only thing I said on the subject was to a guy; that in theory he could alter the fuck he wants and still make sure he's born, never said there wouldn't be any repercussions or mistakes. Hell I didn't even mention or talk about any specific event. But there you go again I guess, putting words into my mouth? Seriously stop, you're literally coming across as someone who making up BS to try to make a argument.

Third, you're last line completely contradicts what you said in your 2nd paragraph. You're happy to say "massively altering history for one's own views is quite selfish" but your also happy to go and replace a genuine article with a fake because the people of that time won't know any better? or because they won't miss it? I'm genuinely curious with your one specific example if the story can be traced 100% accurately to the point it would be "Safe" for you to do what you want with it.

Finally. Dude, my man, seriously get some help. All you're doing is typing a few sentences of gibberish (and coming from the man whose an expert in waffling nonsense at the best of times, that's saying a lot. Not only that, I can feel you're angry and getting worked the fuck up over a hypothetical situation and a initial joke. You're sitting there just getting more and more annoyed. Like a spring getting more coiled ready to go off.
    And now I'm "ready to go off"? Man, I wish actual psychoanalysts worked as quickly and accurately as you. We could prevent a lot of mass shootings if only armchair psychoanalysts over the internet helped the rest of us!

If you can trace an item to the point when it was lost from other records and fakes start popping up it wouldn't alter the timeline in the slightest to remove it at that point. Like shooting Hitler in the face, in his bunker in '45, with his own gun, and of course wear some damn gloves. technically you did something, but realistically, you didn't.

The point was that the timeline wouldn't be altered for better or worse(unless we're talking something like the spear of destiny which has been rumored to pass hands more frequently than money. It's still rumored to be in circulation today.) and I would still have the item/knowledge I was looking for.

The second failure in your comprehension:

Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    Prevent the Fourth Crusade and sacking of Constantinople by westerners in 1204. That in turn would have ensured the nightmare of the Ottoman conquest and enslavement of the Balkans never happened. Would have been interesting considering some fields of technology had gotten quite advanced prior to 1204 in the Byzantine Empire. Would have liked to have seen if industrialization could have occurred sooner and in a region separate from where it did in our history.
    that's the quote I was referring to. The one you praised. the one with massive, world altering implications. What I'm doing may throw a few pebbles into the water. That's a boulder.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

Quote Originally Posted by Prabog View Post
    I was looking at various numbers for Celtic language speakers, I knew that the situation was not bright but damn.

Celtic nations should pursue revitalization of their native languages as much as possible, but I do not know if they hold enough strong political will for such things.
    Welsh and Irish Gaelic are doing quite well, especially Welsh in the Southern and Western parts of the country. Scots Gaelic and the subsidiaries therein, not so good, but the less said about the Scottish government, the better.

P.S This is coming from a Welshman who despairs at the Welsh Assembly Government.

OT:

I would save the life of the Tudor prince, Arthur, and see the prophecy fulfilled!
    Last edited by Vathoren; 2018-06-08 at 09:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Remove Hitler and a lot of things would look different today... So I rather not touch anything because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by kasuke06 View Post
    And now I'm "ready to go off"? Man, I wish actual psychoanalysts worked as quickly and accurately as you. We could prevent a lot of mass shootings if only armchair psychoanalysts over the internet helped the rest of us!

If you can trace an item to the point when it was lost from other records and fakes start popping up it wouldn't alter the timeline in the slightest to remove it at that point. Like shooting Hitler in the face, in his bunker in '45, with his own gun, and of course wear some damn gloves. technically you did something, but realistically, you didn't.

The point was that the timeline wouldn't be altered for better or worse(unless we're talking something like the spear of destiny which has been rumored to pass hands more frequently than money. It's still rumored to be in circulation today.) and I would still have the item/knowledge I was looking for.

The second failure in your comprehension:

that's the quote I was referring to. The one you praised. the one with massive, world altering implications. What I'm doing may throw a few pebbles into the water. That's a boulder.
    Now see, I can put my hands up to that mistake and agree on that quote. Although, I wasn't overly looking into it on that one when I gave that initial comparison.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Crillam View Post
    Remove Hitler and a lot of things would look different today... So I rather not touch anything because of it.
    I think one of the big ones here is the loss of our hypothermia research. Yes it was a horrendous crime beyond imagination, but it produced results we continue to use today.
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    It'd be like trying to prevent the inevitable. History is doomed to repeat itself as man is his own worst enemy - by wasting time on questions such as this instead of learning from the past to better understand the world we inhabit together.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Now see, I can put my hands up to that mistake and agree on that quote. Although, I wasn't overly looking into it on that one when I gave that initial comparison.

- - - Updated - - -

I think one of the big ones here is the loss of our hypothermia research. Yes it was a horrendous crime beyond imagination, but it produced results we continue to use today.
    Yeah. like the nazis were terrible no doubt, but they did quite a lot of "good" research, aspirin, the space program, orange juice... bastards had their fingers in everything.

Science: Without ethics getting in the way, you can make centuries of progress in a decade... But without ethics getting in the way HOLY FUCKING SHIT things get dark fast.

Though I will also hand it to you that my reasoning was, on some level selfish with the swords and lost knowledge of mythical civilizations/places thing. I love nothing more than finding something interesting and sharing it with people, usually just whoever is closest at the moment.

Kill cristhoper columbus and claim that there is no way to get to India trough atlantic ocean
    Last edited by Daevied; 2018-06-08 at 10:26 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Currently 47°, -122° ... Originally 53°, -9°
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargur View Post
    1. Kill Alice Paul.
    But... why?

That's tough to say because even a small change in history could cause other changes that would end up being drastic and unintended.

I'd go back to last Thursday night so I could pay my phone bill on time.
    What have the years of your life taught you to be?

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiwack View Post
    It'd be like trying to prevent the inevitable. History is doomed to repeat itself as man is his own worst enemy - by wasting time on questions such as this instead of learning from the past to better understand the world we inhabit together.
    I agree. That's why I said go back ~50-55 million years (would take some research to find the exact time) and butterfly effect primates out of existence. Make it so they NEVER evolved in the first place. That means, no primates, at all (humans or otherwise).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakshana View Post
    But... why?
    You know why.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

10+ Year Old Account
    instead of killing, i'd focus more on saving lives.
    first-MLK,i'd still want him to be shot , but a coma for a month or two.

Prevent life from ever developing on Earth
    S.H.